How to help adopted parrot adjust

Drino

Jul 8, 2017
My hubby and I met Ziggy today, a very sweet 24 year old B&G girl. Within 10 minutes she was begging me to pick her up from her perch, and within 30 mins she was regurgitating for me! I didn't expect that. When I was talking to the adoption people, and ignoring her begging to be picked up from the perch, she yelled 'Mama! MAMA!' Heart melted. She's only had one owner, who had her work hours change and couldn't give her the time and love she needed. She plucked a few feathers on her shoulders, but they're growing in nicely. I think this girl chose me. She climbed over two people to get to me on the couch, totally focused on me the whole time. The largest parrot I've had was a TAG that I raised from a baby, hand feeding, but I'm new to macs. She will be doing a home visit this week. If all goes well, how can I help her adjust to our home? Other than spending lots of time with her, what are some dos and don'ts for her first few days? I apologize if this has been answered over and over again, I did a search and didn't see a thread for tips on helping a rescue parrot to adjust.
B5

OP
D

Drino

Jul 8, 2017
Couldn't get the imgur image to insert, so attached her pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 148

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
she's such a cutie pie! I love hearing these stories where people are so evidently chosen, I'd love to have my own story like that some day

really you just gotta go at her pace. If she wants to be alone let her be, if she wants attention give her some calm time with you. As she seems to like you so much it should hopefully be okay. Just remember she's going to be a bit nervous by the new place and probably worried about her previous owner too. I'm the same age as Ziggy and I moved from my mum's house this year and I can tell you I was a wreck for 2 months so imagine how upsetting it is for a creature with a 2 year old's brain. Saying that if she's confident she may take it in her stride

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Welcome to you and Ziggy, wow so cool to be chosen dyt?

Agree just go at her pace, the fact you are chosen helps. If you can and she is happy with it you can take her on a real estate tour of your home so she is familiar with it. Take it slow, take your cues from Ziggy, at 24y/o she will know what she does and doesnt want I am sure. Wishing you many happy years together.

OP
D

Drino

Jul 8, 2017
Thank you both for your replies! I'll definitely let her set the pace and tell me when she's comfortable, appreciate your guidance. Fingers crossed the home visit goes well, she really is a sweet heart.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Oh, that's such a wonderful story! She really did fall in love - that's the "thunderbolt" I've heard so much about with parrots. Just that one thing makes more of a difference than anything. If you can find out anything from the prior owner, such as favorite foods, songs, activities, toys, etc. you could provide these familiar things.

We have a B&G rescue, a special needs bird, who didn't have a healthy home life. It will be a while before we see the real Gus, I think. But this bird sounds much saner.

For a home visit, how long will she be there, overnight? For short term or overnight, find a place for the cage in a corner of the room. Having two walls makes them feel secure. Not in front of a window. Usually in a new place, a parrot will be less confident and more docile and sweet. Take advantage of that to have as much physical contact as she seems to want. If you have a portable perch or T-stand, you can take her from room to room with you.

Some birds are high energy, like cockatoos, and will get all amped up and dance and sing and react positively to enthusiastic activities. Most are more reserved, though. Fast movements, loud voices, too much energetic attention can be alarming. I would start with being very quiet and peaceful. Just sit there with the door of the cage open and read silently, or talk to someone else in the room. Every now and then glance over but don't stare. Predators stare. If she wants to be picked up, come out, if you see her looking at something with interest, go along with it. If you are very still mentally and physically, calm, it gives her a chance to open up and drop her defenses. Macaws are flock animals, and if you don't move toward them (which could seem like chasing them) they will move toward you. Eventually.

OP
D

Drino

Jul 8, 2017
Oh, that's such a wonderful story! She really did fall in love - that's the "thunderbolt" I've heard so much about with parrots. Just that one thing makes more of a difference than anything. If you can find out anything from the prior owner, such as favorite foods, songs, activities, toys, etc. you could provide these familiar things.

We have a B&G rescue, a special needs bird, who didn't have a healthy home life. It will be a while before we see the real Gus, I think. But this bird sounds much saner.

For a home visit, how long will she be there, overnight? For short term or overnight, find a place for the cage in a corner of the room. Having two walls makes them feel secure. Not in front of a window. Usually in a new place, a parrot will be less confident and more docile and sweet. Take advantage of that to have as much physical contact as she seems to want. If you have a portable perch or T-stand, you can take her from room to room with you.

Some birds are high energy, like cockatoos, and will get all amped up and dance and sing and react positively to enthusiastic activities. Most are more reserved, though. Fast movements, loud voices, too much energetic attention can be alarming. I would start with being very quiet and peaceful. Just sit there with the door of the cage open and read silently, or talk to someone else in the room. Every now and then glance over but don't stare. Predators stare. If she wants to be picked up, come out, if you see her looking at something with interest, go along with it. If you are very still mentally and physically, calm, it gives her a chance to open up and drop her defenses. Macaws are flock animals, and if you don't move toward them (which could seem like chasing them) they will move toward you. Eventually.

What great suggestions! Thank you! Totally get about avoiding the predator staring and offering walls. Makes total sense! She sings 'You are my sunshine". ;-) I'd love an overnight home visit. They claim she's very quiet for a macaw - I know she might not vocalize much in a new environment, but it'd be great to see what she does if she settles in. ;-) Thank you so much for your suggestions!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
They're attention oriented birds.

The best thing you can do is give them structured interaction.

Hold them too much they will expect it all the time.

Get the bird on a schedule. Keep to the schedule. Give them structure.

They're like human toddlers... so much so that it's scary sometimes.

Most Reactions