Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Pisces, my WCP, is very hormonal right now, and will NOT stay off the floor. I open the cage door and she immediately jumps onto the floor and scurries under a cage. She has chewed up part of the baseboards and carpet, so I can't let her stay under there. When I block off the cages so she can't get under, she will chew the carpet right in the middle of the floor. She also chewed through my laptop charger cord and nightlight cord in the time it took me to get Ekko off Justice's cage and back onto his own.
What I have been doing is putting her in for a time out as soon as she hits the floor, but it is not helping at all.
Poor Pisces is spending more time in her cage than out, and I would so appreciate some ideas on what I can try.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
I have a female white cap too :) And she is determined to go where she wants to go (no stopping her). She's disinterested in the floor at my house, but visiting my parents, she was very keen on nesting under the TV stand and chewing up all the wires there. We didn't allow her in that room and moved her cage. It seems like that was her chosen spot and when she wasn't able to get there, she didn't choose another.

Any way you can raise up the cage she wants to dive under so it's less nesty? Or block it off so she can't get under there at all?

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That's exactly what we ended up doing...we used cardboard to block so she can't get under any of the cages, and made her a play area on the floor within sight to distract her from the carpet..so far, so good:)
They sure are stubborn little critters!

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Awesome! Glad you found something that worked.

Their stubbornness just gives them more charm though, as you probably know ;)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I agree completely...love my Pis!

Most Reactions

Latest posts