How to make a room smell good that’s bird safe?

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
So I am moving into an apartment on Friday and it kinda stinks and has a paint smell. I plan on airing out the apartment and running fans before I bring my birds but what are some safe bird options to make the room smell better? Thanks in advance!

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Cinnamon, lemon peels and cloves boiled in a pot for about 20 minutes with water is the most bird safe 'air freshener' I've heard of. Others might have other ideas to add to this :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Refurbishing an apartment, Ie: painting, new flooring, new paneling, etc always has the risk of the construction materials and paint outgassing fumes for quite a while. Me, personally, take the safest approach - If I can still smell something it's not safe for my parrot. And in my house, we have banned anything that has fragrance, from candles to dryer sheets to cologne and anything in between.

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cinnamon, lemon peels and cloves boiled in a pot for about 20 minutes with water is the most bird safe 'air freshener' I've heard of. Others might have other ideas to add to this :)
Thank you!!

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Refurbishing an apartment, Ie: painting, new flooring, new paneling, etc always has the risk of the construction materials and paint outgassing fumes for quite a while. Me, personally, take the safest approach - If I can still smell something it's not safe for my parrot. And in my house, we have banned anything that has fragrance, from candles to dryer sheets to cologne and anything in between.
To me all apartments smell funky before move in. Idk if anyone else experiences that but we think they painted it bc they left a paint spill mess.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
It is standard practice for most apartments to repaint between tenants. The majority will also change out the carpet which will just like paint produce some off gassing. Ventilation will be key and if you think it is really strong you might think about boarding your birds for a few days or leaving them with trusted friends and family.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It is standard practice for most apartments to repaint between tenants. The majority will also change out the carpet which will just like paint produce some off gassing. Ventilation will be key and if you think it is really strong you might think about boarding your birds for a few days or leaving them with trusted friends and family.
And it's a lot better than moving into a place that smells of its former occupants and their pets and has fleas, etc. I hate the idea of living with questionably clean carpeting. Just ventilate the place a lot.

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
It is standard practice for most apartments to repaint between tenants. The majority will also change out the carpet which will just like paint produce some off gassing. Ventilation will be key and if you think it is really strong you might think about boarding your birds for a few days or leaving them with trusted friends and family I have
there is no carpet in my apartment! It’s all hardwood floors and the previous tenant already had them so I don’t think there would be much besides giving them a good mop with vinegar & water

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
And it's a lot better than moving into a place that smells of its former occupants and their pets and has fleas, etc. I hate the idea of living with questionably clean carpeting. Just ventilate the place a lot.
Luckily I have no carpet! Hardwood floors which is much easier to clean! I’ll be at my apartment cleaning all day so my birds would probably move in Monday if I think it’s safe. I plan on running some fans all weekend long

Most Reactions

Latest posts