How to make sure Percy gets everything he needs in his diet?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
So, I'm veeery close to completely giving up on pellets with my boy. He nibbled them a bit when I first introduced them but steadily ate less and less of them until now, when he literally poops in his pellet bowl...:mad:

I think he's healthy because his new feathers after the molt, are SHINY and soft and the vet told me that Percy is in 'excellent condition'.

So, my question is - what is he missing out on that is in pellets but not in his diet of lots of veg (every kind I can find, heavy on green leafy veg), some grains like pearl barley, lentils, chick peas, sprouts, etc? He doesn't touch his cuttlebone ever.

So, what should I add to his diet if he's not eating pellets?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The main thing with amazons is Vitamin A foods. That is one thing that is generally lacking in their diet and they are prone to vitamin A deficiencies.

So carrots, and conveniently, sweet potato (which mine try to swallow whole without chewing!)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think you should taste a pellet yourself. Seriously, there is a good reason birds who have eaten other things don't like them- they are absolutely disgusting. I think Percy pooping in his pellet bowl probably indicates how he feels about them;)

Truly, the big issue with seeds is birds (especially zons) can start refusing to eat anything but seeds and that isn't healthy. Also, for people who do not regularly give their birds fresh fruit and veg and variety, seeds do not provide the same type of nutrition as pellets. Since Percy has a mommy who loves him and cooks for him and he already accepts and enjoys his fruit and veg, I wouldn't be concerned over him not eating the pellets. If you are really concerned, start feeding him cooked food instead. That's what Kiwi eats in addition to his fruit and veg- a cooked grains and pasta mix for parrots. He also gets some seed during the day, but he gets enough in him am/pm meals, he doesn't really bother the seed much. How about trying Mr. Percy on a cooked food in lieu of the pellets and portioned seed during the day, but not his main mealtimes?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yep. Limit their seed, and feed them the good stuff.

I've never had a problem getting a zon to eat.

And I've fostered several fatties...

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Thanks guys. Percy is fortunately not giving he pellets a miss in favour of seeds because he never gets seeds 'as a meal'. He gets some sunflower seeds in his foragers but never more than 10 or so and not every day either. He does get other seeds in his bridie bread like flax, poppy, pumpkin, pine nuts. But he doesn't get birdie bread every day either. He avoids pellets because he stuffs his belly full of veg, the little glutton ;)

I'm just concerned that he may be missing some nutrients.

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
I forgot to say that he does get cooked foodies for dinner every night - grains, sweet potato, carrots, peas, beans, etc.

He gets chop for brekkie and this gets removed from the cage after a couple of hours. He gets a fruit stick (fresh fruit chunks on a skewer) for lunch.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
I have mentioned this before, so sorry if I suggested it and I'm just repeating myself to you!!!

We have the same exact problem with Ivory, she won't eat a pellet if her life depended on it. So, I finally decided to play the sneaky mom trick... I put the pellets thru my nutribullet making it into a dust. And then all her food gets dusted, so one way or another she is having pellets whether she wants to or not!!!

Maybe this would work?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I seriously doubt Percy eating mostly fruit and veg is a problem. Parrots are opportunistic omnivores in nature, who's primary diet is fruit, nuts and some seeds. They also eat bugs and scavenge carcasses on occasion. That's why they can eat such a wide variety of foods.

One thing is for sure, pellet trees don't grow in the amazon. In fact, thy never naturally ingest highly processed foods like pellets, and probably should only be fed highly processed foods as treats. I think Percy probably eats healthier and gets better nutrition than many birds who don't get as much fresh produce or variety. Healthy plumage, healthy beak, healthy weight, active, ornery;) and a vet saying he is in "perfect" condition means you're doing something right:D

Don't know if it's available in SA, but this is Kiwi's "dietary staple" food he gets in lieu of seed or pellet-

http://volkmanseed.com/products/featherglow/vfg_fancysoaksimmerl.html

and they include an ingredient list, all of which can be purchased at any grocery store. Kiwi gets a heaping spoonful in the morning and evening, which he usually eats about 75% of. Of course, he still gets his fruit and veg too and some seed and some of what we're eating. I know Kiwi's plumage is very shiny and healthy, almost iridescent. He is at a healthy 415 or so grams. And last time he was at the vet, she said she didn't know what we were doing, but to keep it up because he was "one of the healthiest birds" she had seen.

Last edited:

critterman

Jan 1, 2011
Maryland
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure.
MomtoPercy........I have a crimson bellied conure Ziggy. He loves his pellets here so no problem with him eating them. Just wondering have you tried small crumbled pellets? You can buy them crumbled and mix them in with his fresh foods fruits and veggies. That way he would be eating some of them. Just a though!

critterman

Jan 1, 2011
Maryland
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure.
Lots of great advice and suggestions here. That's why I like this forum......lots of knowledgeable people here.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Chili doesn't touch pellets either. So I grind them up and add it to birdie bread- which she devours, so little does SHE know, she's still getting her not-so-beloved pellets lol

Most Reactions