How to pet Jack

1fast10

Nov 26, 2011
Savannah GA
Parrots
Jack-TAG. Hans-Hahn's Macaw
As you guys know I am a newb and would love to pet Jack my TAG. He's not really receptive to the idea at all I think. As soon as I try to pet him he starts to squawk excitingly but I don't know if its fear squawks or excitement. But he does really try to bite as much as he immediately starts to try to get away and/or will nip. So I don't force myself on him what so ever. I know its gonna take more time and bonding, but I'm talking about how to actually get the process going.

I know how finicky AG's can be and just don't want to gift our relationship.

ScottRoberts

Sep 25, 2011
Valdosta Georgia
Parrots
African Grey named Buddy and Marty
re-homed from rescues both are about 5 years old.
My one gray took about a week. The other is about 3 months in and he still doesn't want me to pick him up but he does let me rub the back of his head. Now he even comes to me and puts his head down sometimes.. I guess it's all about going at their pace. A good bond will form if you do that.

Last edited:
OP

1fast10

Nov 26, 2011
Savannah GA
Parrots
So is it natural for them to lower their head when they want to be scratched?

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
Most of the time if they want to, then yes. Sometimes if my grey doesn't then I try scratching her head. It took Pearl about 2 weeks to start doing this. I just took it slow at first and petted for a few seconds but now I sit there and pet her for 25-30 minutes at a time.

ScottRoberts

Sep 25, 2011
Valdosta Georgia
Parrots
yes but watch the pupils if the get small like a pin point they are trying to trick you and when you go in to pet they will whip their head up and nip at you... always watch the eyes

OP

1fast10

Nov 26, 2011
Savannah GA
Parrots
Thanks for the advice guys!!! I was able to pet him with out a reaction today for about 5 seconds. I tried to hang out in the bedroom with him but it was a new environment and he didn't seem comfortable at all so I picked him up and sang (tried) to him before I put him up to end on a good note.

ScottRoberts

Sep 25, 2011
Valdosta Georgia
Parrots
a nice treat as he goes back in the cage makes him not mind going back to the cage too believe it or not soon enough he will want to be out with you all the time...

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
yes but watch the pupils if the get small like a pin point they are trying to trick you and when you go in to pet they will whip their head up and nip at you... always watch the eyes

Ahhh yes I learned this one the hard way. She grabbed my finger and got something I guess like a death clamp lol. I've kind of learned to watch her behavior and determine her mood.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I'm watching the eyes of Max all the time, and I often see them pinning, but it's mostly at times, when he sees new things... Not that he wants to destroy them, more so that he might be a bit afraid...

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
African greys as a species do not like to be touched. I began saying touch and gently touched my Rosie for about 1 year and she will barely let me touch her now.

OP

1fast10

Nov 26, 2011
Savannah GA
Parrots
Yea I knew about the generalization of greys not being touchy birds but I still would like to train and socialize Jack as much as possible.

Hans on the other hand like to be pet nonstop! I'm going to start flicker training tomorrow because I have two days off with them.

Most Reactions