Healthy but lazy parrots?

Libbi24

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello,

Itā€™s been a while since I posted! I was able to help Hercules with his screaming and heā€™s an absolute dream now, took a lot of time and effort of figuring out why he was screaming and once I cracked the code I barely hear him anymore other than his happy chirps and dances.

I adopted two other birds! Roz - a one year old green cheek conure and Theodore - a 14 week old Budgie I call him ā€œlittle manā€

I live in a small studio in the centre of London. So space is limited, however I have made sure to make room for the birds and build them an area where they can play happily. Howeverā€¦ Pearly, Theodore and Hercules are so lazy! I was actually getting concerned with how quiet and lazy they are so I brought all four of them to the vets to get a check up. Other than Pearlyā€™s feet being sore due to her deformity, they were in perfect health.

Roz is stuck to me like a magnet, and we do training everyday so I know sheā€™s getting mental stimulation and sheā€™s keeping busy. But the other three? Iā€™m not so sure.
They will have an hour when they first wake up to play and climb on the toys. And throughout the day they have moments where theyā€™ll fly around my apartment but other than that they just sit on top of the cage and chill.

Iā€™m just wondering if that is normal for them? I feed them a very varied and healthy diet so I know theyā€™re not tired from lack of nutrition. But I was thinking perhaps they just enjoy each others company and just enjoy chilling out. But Iā€™ve had four budgies in my life time and they were all crazy and active.

Does anyone else have lazy birds?

(Also apart from Pearly and Hercules, they all have separate cages, but you canā€™t see them in the photos)

9251997E-4566-4C34-ABAC-AFE7C3558E02.jpeg

Attachments

• 5BEFA6E7-4C5C-4D51-BC4F-C0B3619F6718.jpeg
    5BEFA6E7-4C5C-4D51-BC4F-C0B3619F6718.jpeg
    416.1 KB · Views: 21
  • CDDD5FAA-52DB-47B6-BE1B-2D8A73DCD8C7.jpeg
    CDDD5FAA-52DB-47B6-BE1B-2D8A73DCD8C7.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 7DBEA9AA-AED6-446E-9726-C7343C645974.jpeg
    7DBEA9AA-AED6-446E-9726-C7343C645974.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 07BD3976-AF7E-4844-9411-382D8DA8D503.jpeg
    07BD3976-AF7E-4844-9411-382D8DA8D503.jpeg
    471.4 KB · Views: 19
  • F889E2A0-8524-4A2E-B50B-8D2717941DF4.jpeg
    F889E2A0-8524-4A2E-B50B-8D2717941DF4.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 21

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I love the setup you have for them! I think that you're doing everything "right" when your birds are lazy. I have days where mine don't really want to do much and just sit around and enjoy life. If they're choosing to do that then they can't be bored.

I just upgraded mine to bigger cages and now my budgies are really lazy. In their old cage they used to fly around and move a lot (it was quite big), but now they like to just sit and relax. They have plenty to do but they're happy just relaxing. It could also be the time of year. I live just outside London and the autumn weather is making all of mine calm down a bit. They seem to do this every year, and are easy to look after in the winter until spring begins and then they get a lot more energetic again.

OP
Libbi24

Libbi24

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I love the setup you have for them! I think that you're doing everything "right" when your birds are lazy. I have days where mine don't really want to do much and just sit around and enjoy life. If they're choosing to do that then they can't be bored.

I just upgraded mine to bigger cages and now my budgies are really lazy. In their old cage they used to fly around and move a lot (it was quite big), but now they like to just sit and relax. They have plenty to do but they're happy just relaxing. It could also be the time of year. I live just outside London and the autumn weather is making all of mine calm down a bit. They seem to do this every year, and are easy to look after in the winter until spring begins and then they get a lot more energetic again.

Thanks for responding!
I didnā€™t even consider the weather changes lol but that makes complete sense!

Theodore is still new to the family and I can assume heā€™s still settling in. But I will say he has taken a liking to Hercules and will follow him around everywhere. But he was in one of those tiny blue cages you can get off Amazon for like Ā£20, so I think I also assumed that once he got his own flight cage and area to play Iā€™d see him go crazy. But youā€™re right If Iā€™ve given them things to do and they arenā€™t using them then they surely canā€™t be bored, they just want to chill out!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thanks for responding!
I didnā€™t even consider the weather changes lol but that makes complete sense!

Theodore is still new to the family and I can assume heā€™s still settling in. But I will say he has taken a liking to Hercules and will follow him around everywhere. But he was in one of those tiny blue cages you can get off Amazon for like Ā£20, so I think I also assumed that once he got his own flight cage and area to play Iā€™d see him go crazy. But youā€™re right If Iā€™ve given them things to do and they arenā€™t using them then they surely canā€™t be bored, they just want to chill out!
Your set up is amazing and I'm sure your flock is happy. Yes, birds can definitely become lazy despite being given lots of stimulation. Don't worry about it. They are individuals and have plenty of options of things to do, and like dogs, cats and people, some are just happy doing nothing but lounge around with their pals. For you, it's better than having a bunch of hyperactive wound up birds zooming all over the place, chewing up your things and getting into trouble. Enjoy the peace.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I envy you. My birds aren't lazy and always getting into trouble. I can't wait for a couple years when they might chill out like Clark did.

Most Reactions

Latest posts