how to tell molt from picking ?

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
the past couple days, completely outa the blue, Sammy has started picking his feathers..... Being that he is my first ever fid I am trying to learn about this....

here is a list of his changes that have been very drastic in just the past few days....

1) picking chest feathers
2) preening me ( this is nothing he has ever done before)
3) non-stop cleaning his wings and tail
4) staying near me. very clingy ( flies from cage top to me soon as door is opened)
5) appears to be new feathers coming in on wings

im not sure of anything on the molting topic. Do they pick during this? how can I tell when/if he molts?
I have read that they sometimes pick chest feathers at breeding season. It's been really cold here lately, we are in NC, I was thinking maybe dry skin being a issue. could it be? when / why would they normally molt?

is there any type of treatment or some thing I can put on him to try to deter the picking? I have actually thought about trying to make a "sweater" or something I can put on him to cover the chest to try to stop him but not sure if this is 1) possible 2) safe 3) healthy.

is there anything I can do? :confused:

added some pic's to show ya is chest.

thanks to all,
dreamin_sqaw-albums-feather-picking-picture10905-imag5686.jpg

dreamin_sqaw-albums-feather-picking-picture10910-imag5691.jpg

dreamin_sqaw-albums-feather-picking-picture10906-imag5684.jpg

dreamin_sqaw-albums-feather-picking-picture10909-imag5687.jpg

Last edited:

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I don't see any pics but it sounds like molting to me, especially if you can see pins. A good tip got here was to check the feather shaft. If it is white and doesn't contain blood, it wasn't plucked but molted.

If you have confirmed that he IS molting, giving him lots of baths will help with the itch which may also be why he seems more busy with his feathers.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
That does look like plucking to me. :(

Have you checked him over thoroughly for mites or other creepy crawlies?

None of my Amazons ever show any "bare" or "sore" spots when they molt - not ever.

How often does Sammi get a bath? If he's indeed going through a rough molt, perhaps spritzing him down more frequently will stop him from itching so badly?

Also, if this is something he's never done before, it may not be a bad idea to have him checked out by an avian vet, just to make sure there are no underlying problems.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
None of my Amazons ever show any "bare" or "sore" spots when they molt - not ever.

Yes, I agree with that - my zon has been going through a heavy molt and although he's looking a bit worse for wear (feathers not as neat and thickly layered as normal, lots of pins and fluffies poking out everywhere), his feathers are in good condition and he has no bare spots anywhere.

I still can't see your pics :(

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yeah, that's not from molting. IMO a vet visit is needed (Avian Vet). If i recall that's a young OWA, could be mites, ingested something that's bothering him, it's not normal.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Yes, thanks Wendy, I DO see them now, in your post.

That's definately NOT molting! :( Get him to the AV asap. I hope it can be sorted quickly, poor baby!

OP
dreamin_sqaw

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
Thanks to you all.
Also the spot looks red in the pic , normally it don't. This was us coming out of the shower and I had made sure to run water over his chest real good to help him out. At least that was my goal. He is in the shower with me every evening. Not always under the water. Sometimes he just sits on top of the shower rod. I just like him breathing in the moist air. Plus, that's our bonding and talk time.

As for his age, henpecked, I really am not sure. The last owner was the second owner and they don't know. I don't care if he's sixty, he is still momas baby lol.

We are covering with snow now. Can't get out to a vet. What can I do to treat for mites that is safe and I can do it just to get a start on this. As long as it is something that won't hurt him if mites are not the issue.
I have one of the preventive canisters hanging on his cage. But it is a couple months old now. I have read that I should not use those. ( on the net while searching for answers to this problem )

Could fleas be an issue? Have not seen any but I will accept any help on any topic at this time.

Thanks Yall. Man, I love this forum

OP
dreamin_sqaw

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media

thanks MikeyTN,
I read over that post. I also sent a PM to see if I could get more info from puff's mom. lol
the pic's would not show for me so I could not compare the two. but I sure hope for a reply .
thanks for sharing.

do any of you know if I can and where if possible to find the Invermectin ? is it vet only? the closest avian vet is about 2 hours away and we are in snow. would my regular vet of the past 16 years be able to get it?

is there any type of "dusting" to treat for mites if this may be the trouble?

I just want him well

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If your unsure you should have him examined before starting on the treatment or find exactly what's wrong with him just in case it wasn't mites. Invermectin I used to be able to get it at a bird shop up north.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Just wondering, was he wet when those pics were taken? Is this bald patch visible when dry? You might want to consult with a vet, even if you have to wait until the snow is cleared. It could me mental/hormonal, in which case you wouldn't want to medicate for no reason, as that would do more harm than good (I.e. destroying healthy bacteria in the gut, to name a few). Some birds are seasonal pluckers, and he sounds very hormonal right now. Sounds like you got the bath situation under control. Believe me I know, it's distressing and heartbreaking and scary to see, but oftentimes it's mental. But in order to come to that conclusion illness has to be ruled out. And that comes with labs and x-rays and fungal smears. Please keep the forum updated on his progress, and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I hope this passes soon :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm sorry your baby is having this problem. It looks like he's plucking the skin over his crop. If he started doing it rather suddenly it could be painful. Sometimes they do that when they have internal pain. A vet visit as soon as you can is the best advice. I understand that may be impossible at least temporarily. An avian vet told me recently she very rarely sees a case of mites. That could be different in your area, I'm not sure. I have seen two cases of plucking in two different species, both had an underlying cause. A plucking quaker had a vitamin deficiency. A parakeet had a fungal infection due to starvation and seclusion in a closet. Both birds where rescues.

One thing I found to treat the skin irritation for both birds was an aloe mist prescribed by the vet and kept refrigerated. You can make your own with one part 100% aloe juice and three parts water. I keep my mist bottle in the fridge. I spray a fine mist and let it fall gently. It made a difference to both birds. image.jpg

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 256
OP
dreamin_sqaw

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
Just wondering, was he wet when those pics were taken? Is this bald patch visible when dry? You might want to consult with a vet, even if you have to wait until the snow is cleared. It could me mental/hormonal, in which case you wouldn't want to medicate for no reason, as that would do more harm than good (I.e. destroying healthy bacteria in the gut, to name a few). Some birds are seasonal pluckers, and he sounds very hormonal right now. Sounds like you got the bath situation under control. Believe me I know, it's distressing and heartbreaking and scary to see, but oftentimes it's mental. But in order to come to that conclusion illness has to be ruled out. And that comes with labs and x-rays and fungal smears. Please keep the forum updated on his progress, and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I hope this passes soon :)

Thanks to you all again...

Visible only when he is wet. Now t can rub his chest. Separate the feathers and see it.

OP
dreamin_sqaw

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
Let me also add, because someone said it may possibly be hormones. His attitude us great. Seems very happy. Very attached. But very happy. Eating great. No problems there. Still very possessive and protective over me. Want let anyone touch me. I will probably never get him and my husband to be great friends. Lol ...
His preening of me didn't start until his picking if himself started. So I thought maybe hormones or just trying to make sure I'm not having anything on me if he does. Lol I dont know. I'm just trying my best to learn as i go.
I think we are doing great. My vet even comment that he is truely my bird. At the last nail trimming visit. Ran to me soon as vet moved.

Most Reactions

Latest posts