How to train a very curious/energetic GCC?

Takaaaa

Dec 23, 2013
Hawaii
Parrots
Two Lutino Lovebirds
Hello,
So Koopa, my 2month old Turquoise GCC is fully weaned but I'm finding it a bit difficult to start training and do potty training exercises. He's very curious~

When it's time to let him out, he steps up perfectly fine. Once he's out, he takes off like a jet up my arm and goes on my shoulder or behind my neck/back. He will walk down my arm to look around, but when I try to make him step up, he dashes away or speed walks right over my finger and goes back to my shoulder/back of my neck.
He does bite, and I try to not react to that and want to address that also, but I try to offer him grapes (his fav) or millet, but when he's out of the cage, he doesnt want any food and just wants to explore so it makes it very hard for him to pay attention.

Even when I go to a place that is empty with no distractions, he will never stay in one place.

I know he's still very young, and I never lose my patience and always use positive reinforcements.
What strategies would you suggest?

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
maybe you should let him tire out first.
Take his food out off his cage,and after 1 or 2 hours try then.
2 months is young ,how long do you have him?mine was weaned at 6 weeks ,so you couldn't have him that long.
In that case everything is new to him,and fun!!why sit and train when their is so much to do!!
i wish you luck!

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
It's because he's so young and the world is still new and exciting. There's so much to see and a lot of exploring to do. Luna is the same way only she's flighted, so she's constantly doing laps around the house. I can't get her to sit still even for a minute, food or no food. I've been keeping training sessions reeeeally short, as in 3-5 minutes, and I usually wait until right before bedtime when she starts to get tired.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I'm not any expert, but maybe 2 mo is a little too young? I got my gcc when he was 2-3 old and had hard time training him, but now, 4 mo later, he is much better at the things I was so frustrated about before. For example I tried to teach him not to poo on me, and it seemed hopeless, but now he never ever poops on me or even on the dining table, just on the floor. Just take your time. :)

OP
Takaaaa

Takaaaa

Dec 23, 2013
Hawaii
Parrots
Two Lutino Lovebirds
maybe you should let him tire out first.
Take his food out off his cage,and after 1 or 2 hours try then.
2 months is young ,how long do you have him?mine was weaned at 6 weeks ,so you couldn't have him that long.
In that case everything is new to him,and fun!!why sit and train when their is so much to do!!
i wish you luck!

Yeah Im just taking my time and letting him get use to the world. I had him for about a month, I handfed and did the weaning process myself. So he's comfortable with me. But maybe ill still train him very little at a time until he's gotten use to everything and less energetic. lol

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
I am no pro, but I don't think energy and curiosity is something that can, or should, be trained out of them. Painful biting probably, for your comfort ^.^ But sometimes even the pinches are just naturally what they are. It's a personality thing and if you embrace it and just have fun, all your worries about it will probably go away.

I would work on getting him to step up, so I'd dedicate time for that, perhaps on a T-stand. WHen he gets the picture, you can start asking him in all sorts of places - his cage, the floor, table, couch etc. Make sure you give lots of positive reinforcement and always end your training on a good note.

Kiwi is over a year old and she is still chockfull of energy and loves to nibble and play bite. I don't think it will ever go away! I'll know when she wants to play wrestle because she'll lie on her back on my arm with her legs in the air and start asking for my fingers to tickle her LOL. Because of her unending curiosity, I let her explore where she'd like under close supervision. When I get tired of her craziness, I have a large play stand full of toys, food, and treats that I can plop her on and wheel to whatever room I'm in. She'll happily use up her energy there, and when she's ready to cuddle she'll let me know. At that point, she will snuggle up in my hand on on my shoulder for a nap.

It's just figuring your bird out, letting him be what he is, and finding ways to enjoy each other without trying to change what is in their nature.

Most Reactions