how??

boabab95

Jun 21, 2010
Southern Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Maroon-Bellied Conure
okay, so i know that in order for your parrot to know he/she's doing it right, you use positive reinforcement... but my :confused:question:confused: is this:

How do you get the parrot to do it in the first place:confused: and not just bite it and use it as a foot toys, or be too weary of doing it:confused:

i hope that made sense.

Thanks in advance!

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
There are many ways of getting a behavior to happen the first time - but it somewhat depends on what the behavior is.

I am a bit reminded of the very worst dog training book I've ever seen. The 'chapter' on teaching a dog to sit had just a couple simple instructions and lots of big pictures:
1) In confident voice say "Sit."
2) When dog sits give him a treat.
3) Repeat.

Hmm ... if that works the dog already $#@(ing knows how to sit on command!

OP
boabab95

boabab95

Jun 21, 2010
Southern Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Maroon-Bellied Conure
Ah, what is the "it" that you are trying to get him to do?

well, first it'll be "cleaning"(organizing, whatever), then cup stacking, then pobably bsket ball... i just don't want him to chew something, injest it, then it doesn't come out...

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Well to teach something like the basketball trick, you would probably want to have mastered a few simpler ones first (wave, spin, nod yes/no etc).

The way I would go about it is to teach the retrieve behaviour first. It is all done in VERY small stages.

First you would reward the bird for picking the ball up, thats it.

Once he has learned that - reward him for picking it up and doping it after a short while (most likely do this naturally if he knows he's going to get a reward).

Then you would put your hand underneath so he drops the ball in your hand and only reward him when he does.

Once he understands he has to drop it in your hand, you can move your hand further and further away until he picks it up and brings it over to you.

Then you gradually substitute the hand for the basket by placing your hand over the top of the ring - so that it falls in.

Anyway,thats how I would do it, and how most sources suggest you do it :). its all about only rewarding the correct behaviour.

Most Reactions