Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I really should recuse myself as definitely not on the east coast, but we've had an unseasonably cold winter in SoCal. Some mornings just above freezing. Got an email from my Dad who lives about 75W of Philadelphia - they are expecting between 10" to 20" with an upcoming storm. I was in Philly Jan 7 and it was 70F by noonish.

Ugh, it is the season. Y'all be safe.

**Terry probably holds the record for the coldest member locale!!**

Scott, it's only supposed to be -10 on Saturday so you are catching a break:) Better remember a coat!

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I'm loving it actually. I'm hoping to kind of bunker down on Saturday and make some birdie toys (or sleep) and clean a couple of cages (or sleep). Maybe I will do a puzzle...unless I've packed them away. Since I moved to the basement apartment Labor Day weekend I don't deal with the extreme heat or cold. I'll close the door to the main level and if the power doesn't go out we will be warm and toastie.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I really should recuse myself as definitely not on the east coast, but we've had an unseasonably cold winter in SoCal. Some mornings just above freezing. Got an email from my Dad who lives about 75W of Philadelphia - they are expecting between 10" to 20" with an upcoming storm. I was in Philly Jan 7 and it was 70F by noonish.

Ugh, it is the season. Y'all be safe.

**Terry probably holds the record for the coldest member locale!!**

Scott, it's only supposed to be -10 on Saturday so you are catching a break:) Better remember a coat!

Heavy coat with liner, gloves..... Check!

Can't wait! Just a few short days! :)

littleredhen77

Aug 30, 2015
maine
Parrots
cockatiel ((Jake))
eclectus ((ziggy))
im in Maine and its 20 degrees here right now..and quite windy! i keep my heat set at 70, so my house is nice :) i gotta say though, after driving home from work with the heat blasting in my truck, it makes my house feel cold for a few minutes! :p weve had an awesome winter here so far though, these past 3 weeks have been the first 'winter' weve had to deal with. it was in the 50s and we had no snow at all for christmas!

still though..i cant wait for the day when i have enough money in the bank to sell everything i cant pack up, and move to a nice warm place. im picturing new Zealand, costa rica..belize..anywhere but Maine! :p

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I grew up in Maine. I was there visiting last week for the 8-10" storm they got. And I left the next day laughing away that I was leaving the snow there.

Now I'm in the blizzard band.... If I didn't have so many damn animals I would pack
Up and drive SOUTH.

I'll be sputtering and fuming and freezing while I care for my horses in this %^%*>|!|£

Taprock

Oct 22, 2015
Northern l.p. Michigan
Parrots
Buzz - CAG,
Ziggy - Nanday/Sun Conure,
Jasper - Goffin
Loki - Starling
Gloria - Foster CAG
I tried not to read because I'm such a winter whiner but you southern folks are killing me! All last week we had about 4" of snow each day. Last Friday we had 1/8"+ ice. Then Saturday night we had 18" of snow. Every day since we've gotten another 4 - 6". I'm sick of snow! My hubby plows for the county and I haven't seen him all week. Also I have outdoor birds and I'm tired of banging out iced up water dishes and blow drying frozen crest feathers. I know this year is nothing compared to last year's -27 and month at -10 but I'm sick of it already! ....and it's been more than two months since we've seen the sun.

Sorry! I try avoid talking weather this time of the year, I'd really love to move to Arizona!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Coldest night so far, 46F on my porch. It feels like the plants might freeze, but everything in the garden is growing like crazy.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
LittleRedHen I'm IN New Zealand, watching all of these beautiful snow photos, sweltering away in 86 F (I had to convert it, we call it 30!). I see how the novelty wears off but what I'd give to experience being snowed in, just once....

littleredhen77

Aug 30, 2015
maine
Parrots
cockatiel ((Jake))
eclectus ((ziggy))
hello itchyfeet! being snowed in can be cozy sometimes but only for like 2 hours then it gets old :p endless shoveling, cold wet feet, hearing the snow slide off the roof at random times throughout the day can be terrifying! its very loud lol! and it seems like 99% of the time when its snowing, i have to drive to work, or home from work..which takes forever! especially if you get stuck behind a plow truck going 25MPH the whole way.

id much rather be outside in a dress with no shoes on, gardening or something!

oh i have a question for you too..how often do you get to see kiwi birds in the wild? i adore them and id love to see one! or a kakapo! theyve got to be the most adorable things on earth! :D

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Pukeko's. I LOVE Pukeko's - easily the most funky of the natives! Cool colours and easy to find in the wild. They have a hilarious walk. They will take care of other pukeko's chicks if Mum pukeko can't.

As for Kiwi, You just don't. The best chance of seeing a kiwi is in a darkened zoo enclosure, designed for walking through. And even then it takes a trained eye really. They are very much in trouble, and very much stick to heavy density bush. Same with the Kakapo. Nocturnal and endangered. Really sad, but a lot of awesome efforts are going on to help our birds.

As for the cold, I wouldn't call our climate tropical, but it is definitely mild. We might get snow once every two years, and enough to disrupt the roads and schools once every four. We get heavy frosts in winter but our house is warm and easy to heat. I generally don't have to worry about the birds. I start thinking about it if it's cold enough to catch them snuggling into their happy huts. Starting to see how lucky that makes me!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I so love Maine, and if I ever move back to the states, that would be my first choice. I love how you get all four seasons, and it is just so beautiful there:)

Scott, I am so excited as well!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I figure I'd bump this thread, especially since we just finished with this Blizzard straight out of hell. :54:

How did those who were affected make out?

We are VERY lucky not to have lost power!

As for the snow fall...well, we ended up with 28", and 'snow dunes' up to 6' in some places due to hurricane force winds.

Yup, that's my fish pond, somewhere under all that snow and ice.
Blizzard%202016%20OVER%20004_zpsuooibuxv.jpg

Blizzard%202016%20OVER%20006_zpsu2kn5w6k.jpg

Blizzard%202016%20OVER%20008_zpsktk5lj3h.jpg

Currently we're having a block party, music and all. :54:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPDQEL1UtY0"]Blizzard aftermath one - YouTube[/ame]

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
You can barely see my car right now:eek: If I leave it like that is it a valid excuse for not going to work tomorrow...

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I don't even want to talk about it.

I never lost power,
But I'm stuck on a .3 long drive with 5' snow drifts in places. My truck is parked inside a barn behind a door that I can't open because the snow has drifted about
6'.

OP
Aquila

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Here's from yesterday
HLy66Gu.jpg

nA40hcL.jpg

And from today
oev9HVd.jpg

uGHuCWK.jpg

Out back
CnvUIqTs.jpg

wq5mqt0s.jpg

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Ha! SO MUCH SNOW at one time. I am also a summer girl but was trying to be thankful (house is warm, have power etc). But yeah I don't have a place for a snowblower and I have a corner lot. It was all shoveling. Hours and hours of shoveling. [emoji33]
Remarkably my back isn't too bad.
A few pics.
Shoveling in the evening as it was still falling:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453686998.221164.jpg
Opening my gate to see this!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453687047.427348.jpg
The poor dogs--lol--
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453687091.632491.jpg
But it IS pretty in its own way-
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453687131.065512.jpg

littleredhen77

Aug 30, 2015
maine
Parrots
cockatiel ((Jake))
eclectus ((ziggy))
wow! we didnt get a single snow flake here in Maine! though ive had my share of waking up to a vehicle that has vanished over night and all i have left is a lump in the yard..thats no fun at all if you have an obligation you need to see to that day. :/ i hope everyone is able to shovel out and resume normal life over there! this winter has been soooo easy on me so far but i cant help but think that ill be looking out at the same view in a week or 2!

i hate snow..hate hate hate! if i had a "get out of work free" pass on days that there was snow on the road maybe id hate it less, but for now, HATE! lol :p

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Such amazing photos! Such snow envy - I'm just hoping for some to settle this year...

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Such amazing photos! Such snow envy - I'm just hoping for some to settle this year...
"snow envy" is not something I ever feel Beach envy, yes. ;)

GracelynNBirds

Nov 24, 2015
Texas
Parrots
Pearl, Female, Cockatiel: Penelope
I live in Texas and where i live it does not snow it's just chilly. Im usually in warm, soft, cozy blankets, clothing, ect. :) I love the cold because it gets HOT in the summer! :( :grey:

Most Reactions