ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
It is all about adapting...

birds will play outside in the snow, try to bathe in freezing water etc.etc. even if they have a choice between a heated inner cage or the outside.

Personally: I do not like low temperatures, but what bothers some is enjoyed by others.
60 Fahrenheit is not really all that low.
(Just like guys are supposedly loving the shower lukewarm and women prefer their bathwater as hot as possible -> that is why 'showering together' almost never is as romantic as it sounds ;P , one or both will be outside their comfortzone.)

Sudden huge differences in temperature are far worse for the body (stressors) than being a bit colder or warmer than peferred.
The birds will just eat more to stay warm, thats all.
(Humans do too. It is what the brown fat is for ;) )

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Extended ice storms. Have been without power for 2+ days. Power failure is area wide which has the internet down. Our generator is working well. Will have stories when things get make to normal. Current update is stating Monday night before power is restored. Stay safe out there.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm just curious if anyone used any of the serious ideas I had (mixed in with the jokes).

I still think keep the car as last resort to charge phone and stay warm. Also you can just go to a store and shop with your parrot for hours.....

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
According to that article, it is cold for any bird not acclimated to temps lower than 65F. And it says acclimation takes a long time because they have to build up an undercoat of feathers to help keep them warm, etc.
So no one with a pet parrot that's lived in temps 65-72F should subject them to lower temps, without that acclimation period. If you do that, youre lowering their immune system and general comfort.

Everything Id read about tropical birds, up until coming to this board, stressed emphatically that they should only be kept in temps 70F and up. So this is all fascinating to me. Growing up, Id always heard about pet birds dying due to a draft in the house. I get that a caged birds cant move from the source of the draft, but Ive also always, I guess, conflated this with low temperatures.

The only parrots that have adapted to outside northern climes winter temps that I'm aware of, are Quakers. But I only became aware of that like 2 years ago, so . Since theyre from the southern hemisphere of South America, I can see how they might be more adaptive to cold weather. They must be mean enough to move out flocks of pigeons from heating vents.

Last edited:

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Extended ice storms. Have been without power for 2+ days. Power failure is area wide which has the internet down. Our generator is working well. Will have stories when things get make to normal. Current update is stating Monday night before power is restored. Stay safe out there.
I hope the power is back on now, and you & family are thawed out.

All of these power outage stories are scary, and I want to believe that this is only happening deep in country or maybe on small islands :39:

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
I'm just curious if anyone used any of the serious ideas I had (mixed in with the jokes).

I still think keep the car as last resort to charge phone and stay warm. Also you can just go to a store and shop with your parrot for hours.....

Which stores? :52:

Srsly; me and my friends are curious.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My Florida parrots start shivering at 70 f, so I guess adaption is important.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Which stores? :52:

Srsly; me and my friends are curious.

So funny! You can go to home Depot, Lowe's, and petstore..

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I hope the power is back on now, and you & family are thawed out.

All of these power outage stories are scary, and I want to believe that this is only happening deep in country or maybe on small islands :39:

We live in the second largest city in Michigan and at the highest count there was 186,000 households without power. The why is for another time and Topic. We had been out for 49+ hours and we had a generator sized to support our homes base needs with heat being number one on that list. Today, there are still household without power, I believe that number is under 1,500.

Power outages can happen anywhere people rely on it! If you live in the Great White North or far deep South end of this World, you should have some kind of plan in place if the power goes out during the Winter Months.

A few of the Stories /Comments:
- We have the newest hardwired, full house Smoke Alarm system and when the Power goes out! It turns on and stays on until the batteries die or you disconnect them or provide back-up power supply. I did not know that!!! That is on the FIX THIS ASAP LIST.

- Brand new generator! First use of this unit, which replaced the older unit. I had set-it up and it was ready to go! Only need was to find the Gas On Valve, the choke level and most importantly, the ON /off switch in the cold and dark. Plus add Gas! What could go wrong! Stress of the Alarm system blasting does not help even a well practiced procedure. My Dear Wife and more importantly our DYH Amazon screamed to turn-off the *%@$# Alarm system. That just seemed to slow everything down! Warning; Generators are DANGEROUS and must be operated with knowledge of their required safety needs! They can and do Kill People with each major storm.

- Lots of recommendation of setting a system up and can do that if there is a want. The Biggest issue is to turn-off the primary power supply Breaker to your Power Panel!!!

- Know how long your generator will run before needing more fuel added. Have that fuel on-hand before it dies from a lack of gas! Mine has a six hour run time with a two hour safety reserve (which I set in place). That means some lucky guy (me) gets to add fuel on the 12's and 6's around the clock!

More later if wanted!

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
buurd i'd go to walmart or a target probably....I doubt they'd put up a fuss. Like they'd want media attention for kicking out a person just trying to keep a bird warm. I seariously doubt it.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I just got the news about all those cows that are frozen to death ... you guys really got it bad!
plze stay safe (and warm)

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
We live in the second largest city in Michigan and at the highest count there was 186,000 households without power. T

Power outages can happen anywhere people rely on it! If you live in the Great White North or far deep South end of this World, you should have some kind of plan in place if the power goes out during the Winter Months.

More later if wanted!

I want to know more, yes. Like if you're still married ;p That sounds rough!

Ive been in one really big outage, where it hit a big swath. But it was in summer. Still, it was scary enough. Then, the fear came from what other people might do, in a black out.

I hope everyone's ok, and they make it back to this thread to tell us their winter vortex war stories.

Everyone who had an animal, any animal, out in this mess , should be criminally prosecuted, severely. Ranchers, too; by the head.

Most Reactions