Humans needing some sleep

Biscuit

Nov 13, 2013
Brisbane,Queensland,Australia
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
My indian ringneck is nearly a year (next month)
And lucky for me or unlucky I am a deep sleeper but unfortunately my other family members aren't

He's wakes up at about 5am every morning and my family is sick of it to the point of wanting me to get rid of him, which will never happen.

Any suggest to keep him quiet?
Any advice on sleeping cages or what you do to keep them quiet for just a few more hours?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That's really surprising that even with a dark cover he's screaming at 5am. I don't know what else to say :confused:. The covers really help. My birds don't make much noise until I uncover. Then again I have non-screaming species (except the Budgie, but he has an extra dark cover :)).

Can you put him to bed at a later time? Good luck!

OP
B

Biscuit

Nov 13, 2013
Brisbane,Queensland,Australia
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
I had no idea that he'd be this noisy, I had a cockatiel before him and was never told about how loud they are. Became quite a shock when he opened his beak, to say the least. At the time, my ex boyfriends mother just gave him to me with out any information, but wouldn't change it, it's only my other family members who get upset by it.

I normally put him to bed between 8-9 as the sun is currently setting between 5-6.

I've read about sleeping cages but reluctant to do that

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Hmmm..if it was me I would try keeping him awake longer at night?? I don't know if that's possible, but if it was me that's what I would try. How long have you had him? Did his previous owner maybe get up at this time? Maybe he just needs to adjust to the activity schedule in your home.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
In all your posts, you don't mention where his cage is located...is it in the traffic pattern?

I'm assuming you don't have a conversational rapport with your Ex's mother, but if their habit was to get up early, you're probably going to have to try moving the cage and possibly getting a "blackout" cover, not just a dark or black one.

If other family members are early risers, your friend may be looking for attention from whoever is up and their ignoring him is exacerbating the problem.....

Maybe you need to change your sleeping habits & start getting up early to interact with your feathered friend.....

As to a sleep cage, usually they are just a smaller cage that is positioned in the owner's bedroom or other room, away from the routine night activity of the family...there is not really a cage made specifically as a sleep cage.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
First, a sheet is too thin to keep all the light out, so try placing a light blanket over the sheet to keep it darker. Also, make sure you put the cage in a room that goes 100% dark at night if possible, because the light could be coming in from the bottom. This is where a sleeping cage could come in handy.

Also, is he getting enough mental stimulation and play time and exercise during the day? He may not be tired enough to sleep at night.

Finally, if nothing else works, you may just need to start getting up before he does, and at the very least feeding him when he wakes up. If just feeding isnt enough, it sounds like you need to get up and spend time with him in the mornings when he is awake and full of life. It isn't fair for your family to be trying to sleep though his noise. Besides, the extra time with him could really enhance your relationship - a great opportunity for training, too! Or maybe all he needs is to sit on your shoulder while you read, make breakfast, or watch you work out. Whatever it takes, it may be a matter of YOU changing, not of HIM changing, and that is your responsibility to do. You say you will never get rid of him, but are you sure? Unless you are one of the adults and the family you are talking about are your spouse and children, you can't be sure. My mom walked into my room one day and forced me to sell or give away every one of my birds, and the fact that they all woke up with the sun was a HUGE part of her choice, and none of them had the volume of an IRN.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I know my birds get up and start chirping when they hear the birds outside, which generally starts in the pre-dawn hours at well. Im an early riser, so no problem, but if that's what's waking him perhaps white noise or a room where he can't hear the outside morning calls.

Most Reactions

Latest posts