Hurt parrot feet. Why are stands/cages square tubing ?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Vet Visit:

As noted in JerseyWendy's post; if changes are made quickly after noticing the early development of pink sores, they commonly heal with time.

If changes are not made or the sores are more serve i.e. the pads have failed; open sore(s) and/or flattened with pink to red surfaces, rarely do these return to a healthy state. Unless you are versed in the different states of a parrots pads it is better to have an Avian qualified Vet make that determination.

Companion parrots depend heavily on their pads being healthy since they spend far greater time on them.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Also the pad's of BB's feet had a pink spot in them a few weeks ago. After making Perch changes I put a little aloe on them. It seemed to help some.

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Great information and advise !

It's sad to imagine that even the play stand/cage company's care more for their dollar than the health of our birds ! (but, that's typical in our life's)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The volume cage and play stand manufacturers' are not 'bird' people! They build to the demands of a specific price point: cheap. This due to us 'bird' people targeting the lowest price. Yes, some of us buy the high end custom cages and play stands (or we make our own), but the majority target lower cost options.

When the market (us) stops buy specific products, the manufacturers' stop building it. In addition, when the market (us) begin demanding specific options (or only buy products that include specific items) they become standard. Note the change to natural branches in place of dowels in more and more cages as an example.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I find very little consistency with these stand manufacturers. Of course, that's probably because I'm looking at the "low-end" ones. I really want to pick this one up, problem is all the reviews I read say it comes with crappy 1" dowels, and stainless (not ceramic) bowls.

Bird playstands: Super Pet EZ Care Activity Center at Drs. Foster and Smith

I have that one. At least it looks close to that. I covered the ends with Sisal Rope. BB destroyed the " crappy dowels within a day. Replaced them with Branches or pvp . I like the stainless bowls so no issue with me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts