Fullerton,CA
Parrots
20 year old Congo African grey male
12 year old blue and gold macaw male
2 year old greenwing macaw
male
Breeding pair of rosey bourkes
Breeding pair of cockatiels
Doesn't it take almost a year for them to wean? That's a long wait, but exciting!

YES!!! Its probably going to feel like I'm having a real baby or something lol

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
Hy's go for about 13,000 here.

Next to my Rosie, they are my favorite. So super sweet! Congrats and I can't wait to hear all your adventures!!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, I think the average weaning time for a Hy is around 11 months...

So, there is a reason they are THAT expensive. Handfeeding for that much time, where the slightest mistake could kill or seriously injure the baby...

A friend of mine had 8 breeding pairs of these guys... I used to "help socialize" i.e. "play with" all the babies.

It is incredibly fun to sit down with 4 competing baby Hy's on your lap, and a spoon full of formula...

Not to mention MESSY!

OP
Jlong1989

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
male

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
Yes. She seems quite knowledgeable and super nice and answered all the questions I had.
That I feel is a great choice. I had put my name on her list a year ago after talking to her and was impressed with how she raises her babies but even more so that her own personal Hy sort of helps raise the babies when they are a little bit older. I really feel it is so much better when birds have another baby (or at least another bird) to be raised along with, sort of the monkey see, monkey do philosophy. Unfortunately I had to take my name off her list when Donovan needed a new home and came here to live.

Any idea of how many people are on the list before you?

OP
Jlong1989

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
male
That I feel is a great choice. I had put my name on her list a year ago after talking to her and was impressed with how she raises her babies but even more so that her own personal Hy sort of helps raise the babies when they are a little bit older. I really feel it is so much better when birds have another baby (or at least another bird) to be raised along with, sort of the monkey see, monkey do philosophy. Unfortunately I had to take my name off her list when Donovan needed a new home and came here to live.

Any idea of how many people are on the list before you?

She said just one. I guess this past year she didn't have any babies but she's hopeful for this spring:blue:

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
Well that sounds like you have a good chance of getting a baby then this year, providing the parents are cooperative.

This gives you even more time to save more money for a really large cage if you want. Have you compared the Expandable Habitats cages to others out there? If you do decide to go with that cage in say a 4x6 I would recommend getting at least a second door so that you have more access to opposite sides.

One thing you should always remember in these coming months: Good things come to he who waits.

OP
Jlong1989

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
male
Well that sounds like you have a good chance of getting a baby then this year, providing the parents are cooperative.

This gives you even more time to save more money for a really large cage if you want. Have you compared the Expandable Habitats cages to others out there? If you do decide to go with that cage in say a 4x6 I would recommend getting at least a second door so that you have more access to opposite sides.

One thing you should always remember in these coming months: Good things come to he who waits.

I still haven't decided on a cage. I know I want a stainless steel but haven't decided on a company or design. She recommends king cages.

And yes I am waiting as patiently as I can lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts