I almost lost my Greenie today..

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
I put her flight suit on and decided to take her outside because its around 69/70 degrees.This was her first time outside in her suit.Anyway I was distracted when my son came out and she flew off.I had relaxed my hand on the leash thingy and it slipped right out of my hand:11:..That leash is slippery too.

Anyway she couldnt get any height and could only fly a couple feet off the ground so Im chasing her around the yard.She finally landed.....I was soooooooooooo lucky..Im going to get another leash type thing that I can clip on my belt loop and clip to the other short lanyard leashy thing as a safety precaution.
When my son gets his cockateil he wants a flight suit too so Im going to make him a safety leash too.

BTW she was not happy with the flight suit at all..But Im going to persist because I know in the long run its going to be soo fun for her to be with me outside.:D

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Yikes! I'm glad everything worked out okay and I think the safety leash sounds like a great idea.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Wow, I'm so glad you got her back!!

I also think the safety leash is a good idea, or I'd wrap it around my hand or something. I'm sure she will get used to the flight suit and maybe even start looking forward to it in order to go outside.

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
The problem is when I wrap it round my wrist it just kinda slips off if you dont keep a tight hold on it and its so small that its hard to keep a grip on(probably just me).I really think I will feel much more safe with a safety line of some kind.
She was panting a bit when I brought her in.It wasnt from the flight either, just stress I guess.But she wasnt mad at me or anything.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
No, I totally understand that happening. I have pretty bad arthritis in my hands and wrists and I bet I would have trouble holding onto it as well. I drop all kinds of things these days. Let me tell you, when you drop a gallon of milk and it explodes when it hits the floor it seems like a lot more than a gallon!

usamimi

Oct 30, 2011
North GA
Parrots
Kevin the Congo African Grey (DNA'd F) and Ra the Sun Conure
i think someone either on their site or another site suggests just using a kitten collar or something to help keep the leash attached. I just got a super cheap one at walmart.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Im glad you got greenie back!!! I brought a baby tiel that was clipped and he flew way up in the tree. I was lucky enough to get him to come back down for me and i took him in the house to clip him better. That was a scary moment!!!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
WOW ! Doris48 , how scary that must have been ! I think my heart would have given out if that happened to me ! I am soooo afraid of losing my babies that way !
After reading the post about the hawk getting the TOO and now yours , it scares me to death to think that these big possiblities when you take them outside.
It has given me much to think about and I am really on the fence about it all now.
I just want my babies safe and happy. I'm very glad to hear that Twitter ? is doing fine after his outside adventure and thank goodness he had on a harness !!!
I agree , it's a good idea to have the end of that harness leash clipped to your body
You cant be too safe IMO. I think I would be gulping Rescue Remedy after that episode !!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
No, I totally understand that happening. I have pretty bad arthritis in my hands and wrists and I bet I would have trouble holding onto it as well. I drop all kinds of things these days. Let me tell you, when you drop a gallon of milk and it explodes when it hits the floor it seems like a lot more than a gallon!

Oh my gosh! Years ago, when I was a kid we lived across the street from a small grocery store. Everyone there knew us, the salespeople and owner. Anyway, I was helping by carrying a gallon of milk. I accidentally dropped it right as we were approaching the checkout. It definately EXPLODES! Very embarassing! Then for a while afterwards when we went into the store the owner would (nicely) tease me "So Gretchen, want to carry the milk today?" LOL

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011

Oh my gosh! Years ago, when I was a kid we lived across the street from a small grocery store. Everyone there knew us, the salespeople and owner. Anyway, I was helping by carrying a gallon of milk. I accidentally dropped it right as we were approaching the checkout. It definately EXPLODES! Very embarassing! Then for a while afterwards when we went into the store the owner would (nicely) tease me "So Gretchen, want to carry the milk today?" LOL

Was that not one of the worst messes you've ever seen? It was everywhere!

OP
Doris48

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
I dont worry about hawks much.We havent had any nearby here in quite awhile.We used to have all kinds of wildlife here but its slowly dwindling down to nothing.
We had deer and tons of coyotes(dont miss the coyotes)..I did see one a really big redfox a few months ago.But no hawks, or owls.Probably why I havent lost any cats or chickens in several years.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Your lucky , one the prey starts to swindle down , that's when your "safe".

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
You are lucky. I see hawks every day. A couple of days ago Pete was looking at something out the window and making a whining sound. I would look and not see anything. Finally I looked up and saw it circling over the field across the road. I also had one fly down and take a ground hog right in front of me. And one year I kept losing kittens to an owl.

Every spring I have rabbits everywhere. You can look out any window and see at least one eating, romping, or sleeping in the shade of a tree. By the end of summer they are all gone.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Me too. I have rabbits all over the place. I had one rabbit have a litter of babies right in the packasandra (spelling?) they are really low ground covering plants and it was pretty hard to keep the dogs away from that area till the little ones left.
Funny how the rabbits know exactly where the holes in the fencing are. They always double back when being chased , then dive for that hole ! Pretty crafty critters.
We have had them taken by owls and hawks too. Once in a blue moon we will see a fox around here. But there are plenty in the preserves around here. They even say coyotes are making a come back further out on the Island.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Coyotes are a huge problem here and are even killing livestock. Needless to say my goats were never out at night.

We did have a large red fox living in this area but it was hit by a car one night, and I haven't seen another. One of my neighbors didn't believe me at first that I kept seeing one until she saw it dead in the road, lol!

Most Reactions