I am officially a bird owner!

starrynightxxi

Mar 26, 2013
Philadelphia
Parrots
Leonard - White-Wing Parakeet
I have to admit, I came to the decision to get a bird slowly, and with some reluctance. Up until February, my bird experience was completely limited to cage cleaning and wing-clipping the parent-raised budgies at work. I was transferred to a store that keeps a few of the smaller parrot types, mostly conures, and immediately set to trying to learn what I could about them, and get comfortable handling them. And of course, I fell in love.

Say hello to Leonard!

555652_877871621795_323518037_n_zpsd7bb42cd.jpg

Leonard arrived almost a year ago and so I was able to adopt him for a $100 donation to our partnered animal rescue. It was win/win.

It's been about two weeks now. He is still settling in, but doing well. He was already familiar with me, and I think that sped the process up a little, but we are hitting many of the stages, nonetheless. He already knew step-up before leaving the store, but is learning to make kiss sounds on request, even to relative strangers (notably, my dad and boyfriend.)

Currently, he cannot decide if he wants to be with me, or in the cage. I think he would much prefer if I would come inside the cage with him, and then he could have both. Instead we play a constant dance of LOVEME-putmeback-LOVEME-putmebackputmebackputmeback!

Leonard is also learning to whistle in response to my own whistling. And I have learned that he vehemntly dislikes wolf whistling. Apparently a cockatiel used to live above him and it would wolf whistle all day long. He gets really agitated! :D

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
How exciting! I expect we'll hear lots of him and how he settles in :)

Since he's from your job did you already know him well?

OP
starrynightxxi

starrynightxxi

Mar 26, 2013
Philadelphia
Parrots
Somewhat. I have only been there since February, but would take him out or chat with him on my lunch breaks. He was the store favorite, very social, and so I began handling him to get used to the "big" birds. By the last couple weeks before I brought him home, he had begun to display and call when he thought I might be looking in his direction. I thought I was imagining it at first, but several times I watched him sit on a perch and completely ignore someone looking into his cage. When they would wander off, if he noticed I was looking, he would turn his back to me, and display heartwings (whether it had a similar meaning to him as it does tiels, I don't know, but I can't describe it any better than this) while looking over his shoulder and squawking.

I also was not allowed to handle the conures without hearing about it at length, so I would say that we were pretty comfortable with each other in that setting. He has been a bit different here, of course, but nothing too awful, and now that I am better at reading some of his moods, we are really making progress. At work, of course, I could come handle him at any time, because I was the main bringer of sticks, and conversation, and out-of-cage time, so he was always up for whatever I had in mind

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
He's cute! Sounds like he'll settle in just fine!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
He's very cute! Congrats on your new baby :) Is he a parrotlet?

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Congrats on your new baby. amazing how much you can fall in love with a little ball of feathers:)

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
He is so adorable!! Love that name! I keep thinking of Big Bang Theory now. :)

birdpassion620

Jan 30, 2013
Media
Boston
Parrots
Male Pacific Parrotlet (Chuey), Female Canary Wing
Parakeet (Sweetie), and my mother's bird: Male Canary
Wing Parakeet (Petey)
Both me and my mom own a canary wing parakeet and they are such great little companions. Congrats, looks like Leonard is already settling in.

ct92404

Oct 14, 2012
California
Parrots
My first bird was a parakeet named Buddy (passed away November 8, 2012). My newest friend is a parakeet named Chipper.
Congratulations on your new birdie! He's cute! That's a great picture of him, looking right at the camera :)

OP
starrynightxxi

starrynightxxi

Mar 26, 2013
Philadelphia
Parrots
Thanks! It is just a cell phone snap, I hope to take some nicer ones, but I have to figure out how I will manage it. My room has extremely poor lighting, so I have always had to rig a small set up for photographing the rats. I am not certain how I will do the same for the bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts