I am simply happy

coolit

Dec 20, 2013
Partially pointless new thread, I just had to post how happy I am.

I have to excuse myself, I did drink a bit but...

I got my Poppy bird from kijiji (canadian website to sell used things)

Previous owner was a dirtbag and when I got Poppy bird, her feathers were in terrible shape, her beak is in bad shape, she was terrified of everything. I even posted my experiance about the previous owner threatening me to literally break my legs and "teach me a lesson" when I called "its" lies... (previous owner doesn't deserve to be called a he or she... it's an "it"

Now, I am happy to say, I am perfectly bonded with my bird.

I can now pick her up without efforts. She calls me none stop, if I put my hand in the cage, she just wants to jump on it and stay with me as long as possible.

She barely poops on me (granted I know that I have to put her down on a specific spot, she does her business, I clean it right away)

she shed her bad feathers and now flies to my shoulder.

She loves me unconditionally... now I have to train her not to be afraid of my friends and to stop attacking friendly fingers that just wants to give her affection.

All in all, I am astonished at the great progress and I know I have a lot to improve on for her health.

Her feathers are now beautiful.
Her beak got trimmed and unfortunately will require monthly to 2 months trimming... but she seems very happy and loving.

What I have to improve on, I am not sure how to go about it due to my lifestyle and schedule.

Vet told me conures needs 10 hour sleep...
I have a small condo, sleep at 11 (usually, tonight is 1am) and I wake up at 6:30am

I get home between 6 and 8 pm and stick with my bird till 11.... but I wake up at 6:00 to 6:30 and leave for work...

So Poppy sleeps 6 to 7 and a half hour nights... like her master.

The vet told me I should cover her earlier and move her to a quieter room... but if I do that,

1 she will ***** and complain for hours.
2 she will have less company time as I sleep at 11.

Would love to have some input on that...

besides that, I am just saying how happy I am with the progress I have from getting an abused practically damaged, terrified bird to a bird that loves me and will literally fly to my shoulder.

So for any new owners, these birds are brilliant, require a mad amount of patience, affection, treats and creativity (hiding treats in toys to force habit of self entertainment)... but it always pays off with unconditional love.

Cheers... and me and poppy need to get some sleep. Sadly poppy will have a 5 hour night :S and that I know I have to adjust.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds like you found a great new friend there! :)

As far as the sleeping, I would strive for at least 8 hours if I was you. The amount of hours my birds sleep varies depending upon the time of year, since their sleep schedule mostly goes along with the sun. During the spring and summer months, they usually get at least 9 hours of sleep, and more in the fall and winter months.

Some birds may do fine with not enough sleep at night and will nap during the day. However, other birds may become grouchy and more bitey without enough sleep. If you ever come across any behavioral problems, one of the first things to consider is whether or not the bird is getting enough sleep.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
My bird sleep about 6 hours on workdays.
But they nap when i am away,i do make sure they get lots of sleep in the weekend.

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
There is a good chance she will nap at some point while you are at work anyway. If she is happy I wouldn't worry about the sleep thing too much.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Sounds like you've done a great job with Poppy. That's great to hear. Yay!

I hear you about the schedule. It's either lack of sleep for the bird, or if she gets the ideal amount of sleep, you will have less time to spend with each other because of your schedule. It would be wonderful if we all could go to bed and wake up whenever we want, and have 12 hours of sleep for our birds, and plenty of time with them, and for everything else in life... but we just have to do the best we can in this "human world" with human schedules and time frames which is reality.
I just do the best I can, and try to get them the sleep they need most days, but if I absolutely can't, I don't worry about it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts