Nail trimming

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi all!

I need some recommendations for safe cement/pumice/whatever perches! I can’t seem to find much consistent information about which are safe and which are a danger but have decided that I need to invest. Our vet is an hour away and it is quite a hassle to travel for frequent nail trimmings. So, today we tried to cut Kure’s nails ourselves as the vet previously showed me how to hold her and have someone else cut. Unfortunately Kure is VERY freaked out by this and it resulted in a cut quick. She seems to be ok, but I can’t imagine it will be comfortable. I’m hoping that the perches will be able to cut down on the frequency of nail trims we need and be less stressful for her. Could you guys point me in the right direction?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Hi all!

I need some recommendations for safe cement/pumice/whatever perches! I can’t seem to find much consistent information about which are safe and which are a danger but have decided that I need to invest. Our vet is an hour away and it is quite a hassle to travel for frequent nail trimmings. So, today we tried to cut Kure’s nails ourselves as the vet previously showed me how to hold her and have someone else cut. Unfortunately Kure is VERY freaked out by this and it resulted in a cut quick. She seems to be ok, but I can’t imagine it will be comfortable. I’m hoping that the perches will be able to cut down on the frequency of nail trims we need and be less stressful for her. Could you guys point me in the right direction?
This is what I use. Smooth on top where the pad of the foot has contact ( so it shouldn’t cause bumble foot or other problems) but rough on the sides where their nails hit. You do need to put it where the bird will actually use it. For my Quaker it’s one of his outside perches, for my budgies I have a clip where I put their treats right next to the perch to encourage them to use it.
IMG_1216.png

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
This is what I use. Smooth on top where the pad of the foot has contact ( so it shouldn’t cause bumble foot or other problems) but rough on the sides where their nails hit. You do need to put it where the bird will actually use it. For my Quaker it’s one of his outside perches, for my budgies I have a clip where I put their treats right next to the perch to encourage them to use it.
View attachment 58188
Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts