I am SO angry...

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
So back to the vet with Charlie...To Dr. Lutz her regular vet...NO pneumonia...NORMAL weight for Charlie...she is thin but not too thin being that she is missing her wing she won't have the muscle mass of a normal amazon so she will always be thin, he said if she does gain any weight it would be fat...So I basically wasted $125 dollars and got stressed out for NO GOOD REASON...he also "popped" the air bubbles on her back to relieve some pressure, but he said that they might come back and that was more than likely due to the fact that she is missing a wing and since part of a birds respiratory system goes down into the wing area since hers is gone it adds more pressure than it would normally but if the bubble does come back he said I can just pop it again...As far as the wheezing we have been dealing with She is now off all meds and will be on benadryl till thanksgiving. Other than that She is JUST FINE... on a side note Juno got a clean bill of health:D

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Sounds like you payed for some great news and knowledge on how to take care of a problem if it comes back. :D

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I guess I should have clarified...I took Charlie to a different vet on Saturday and spent $125 bucks and was told she was very thin and had pneumonia and was given some meds to give her that cost $75 she wouldn't even touch the meds and I was stressing about getting her to eat more and come to find out that she was fine the whole time...

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Now that makes more sense! I would make a feed back on the other vet so other bird owners are aware.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I don't think you should be angry. You learned an expensive lesson not to take the bird back to the vet you saw on Saturday. Also, if you had not gone, you would have been stressing even more if something terminal happened and you would have blamed yourself. Being a parront is stressful at times.

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I don't think it would have been as bad if
1 we had the extra money
2 I had been able to get her to take the meds
I guess I feel like the visit was worth the money but since she wouldn't take the meds and didn't even need them in the first place they were a complete waste of money...

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
What a pain in the neck! The good thing is that Charlie is not that sick, which is absolutely fabulous. I for one was very worried about him.

EDIT: a diagnosis is a matter of opinion, you trust your regular vet's opinion, but the other vet may have had a basis to have come to the conclusion he/she did. Although annoying where you can't afford it, it can happen. I went through vets disagreeing about my dog - even 2 vets in the same practice telling me different things. It was difficult for me to be happy that she was getting the right care when all the "doctors" were saying different things. You just do your best, and you've done that by Charlie.

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:eek: YOWSER!!!

I do agree with Denise though. An expensive lesson learned. Sorry for forking out the extra cash though, I know that hurts. :(

OP
ParkersMom

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
I can see were she would have gotten the diagnosis from...it's just frustrating

Micheal I went to priest lake vet off Bell Rd...
the Dr was very nice and considering She didn't have all the info I can't say that I blame her...although Dr Lutz did wonder why they didn't drain the air pockets on her back...
She feels MUCH better now I can tell she is playing and moving around SO much better. I just have to watch to see if the air pockets come back...

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
IF its the one I'm thinking of, she's full of it....

Most Reactions

Latest posts