I am so worried for my baby :-(

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Oscar-Black capped Conure-RIP my baby
Our Sky is only 11 weeks old. I work from home so he is never in his cage and therefore not very happy when he has to sit in it during the day. My mom and naphew are visiting and we were out all day yesterday. When we came home we had discovered that one of the food dish doors had not been properly latched. It opens upwards on a hinge. Sky had pushed it open and had his head stuck in the hanging door. He could not pull his head back in. I have no idea how long he had to sit like this. He has been hanging his head low since then. I feel so terrible, he would not let me put him down so I cuddled him until 1 last night.

I don't know what to do. My instinct is to take him to the vet. However, he does bob his head for food. He is also eatting, drinking, moving around, and preening the feathers on his belly. He is acting normal today other than holding his head down. He loves when we lift his head and rest on our fingers while he falls asleep. Last night he would not let me put him down. Today he has been content to do his usual thing. I am praying that his neck is just weak and sore with no permanent injury... If I do not see any progress by tomorrow I am taking him into the vet.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Their little necks are so fragile. I am the worst bird mom.

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Lulu)
I agree with darkling. Take him to the vet. If he his healthy, well then you can go to bed without being worry :)

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I have had the same thing happen once or twice. If the doors are not that heavy your bird will suffer only tissue bruising & soreness. He will be favouring his neck because it's so sore. Just treat him as normal as possible. A gentle massage also helps.

OP
tlouiselle

tlouiselle

Mar 9, 2011
Florida
Parrots
Stewie- Eclectus

Oscar-Black capped Conure-RIP my baby
Thank you for your responses :) I called and talked to our vet. I told him what happened and the progress that he has made today. The vet said that he is probably bruised and sore. He said that because he is active, eatting, drinking, playing, and moving his head, then I don't need to bring him in at the moment. If this changes then I should bring him in. This made be feel much better. Since I have talk to the vet Sky has started lifting his head up more too :)

Hochimama

May 5, 2011
Malaysia
Parrots
{used to have} Fisher LoveBird, PeachFace Lovebird, Albino Indian RingNeck {used to have}
Glad to hear that everything is alright ~~ ^^

Abner

Oct 31, 2011
Hi dear,
You need not to be worried but treat him as well as possible. He will be recovered soon.

Last edited:

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I don't know about the old adage "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger," but at the very least, it might makes us think twice about sticking our head through a food bowl door.

Very glad to hear Skyler is okay. Baby him extra until he recovers, and then do it some more just because. ;)

Pinkbullets

Aug 23, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Luna: solomon island eclectus
Evie: red-sided eclectus
What a scare!
I'm glad that he's doing better.
Accidents happen, and as parrot parents we have to accept these things, no matter how guilty we may feel.
Just keep a close eye on his recovery, as I'm sure you are.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
for the future make sure the food doors or any of the doors on his cage are fitted with clips or screwable clamps that prevent the doors from being opened enough for his head to fit thru.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Things do happen, it could of been a lot worse! Just baby him and he'll recover just fine. :)

Most Reactions