Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
The litter looks like wood pellets or something like Kay-Kob. I only use newspaper or paper towels in my cages. Pellet litter can hold on to too much moisture and grow mold. Kay-Kob is made from corn cobs.

Using something like paper towels right now might be good because they're white and you can look at her dropping better so you can see if anything changes.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
There is a lot of research about aspergillosis and other fungus organisms in corn granules bedding (litter).

Here is one that is easier to understand, written by a bird owner.
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/aspergillosisparrots.html

Here is a US government health agency study, it is technical, the summary is they tested corncob bedding of two rats who had died of respiratory disease and found lots of asper and other fungi in many of the samples they tested.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12086454

Another scientific veterinary article:
https://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/pages/aspergillus-sinusitis-in-a-cockatiel

OP
Lidia

Lidia

Feb 27, 2018
Krasnodar
Parrots
African gray, my favorite and dear soul parrot!
Thank you, thank you !!! How much information I learned from your links, I regret why I did not come to your site before.

Last edited:
OP
Lidia

Lidia

Feb 27, 2018
Krasnodar
Parrots
I buy a medicine for 200 mg (Voriconazole), it costs 20,000 rubles (or 357 dollars) made an order, it should come to our city in two days, it will be enough for a certain time.
And I also found https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asperzole-for-Birds-50-tablets/182916553058
but I can not understand the exact composition? Will it fit my bird.?
And the main thing is that this drug does not always come to Russia from this site, so I'm thinking about how to order it.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Wow that's expensive! I don't recommend buying from ebay, but I understand your situation.

This is the product.
Asperzole Tablets - Vetafarm

It says it's 12.5mg of Voriconazole per tablet. Please ask your vet for proper dosage, but you may be able to crush into a powder and mix with soft food.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Can you purchase from a Canadian pharmacy? https://www.canadadrugpharmacy.com/search.asp

Perhaps European nations will produce and mail order for you?

In any case, very important to deliver the proper dosage. Your veterinarian or the pharmacy tech should be able to demonstrate the proper method.

OP
Lidia

Lidia

Feb 27, 2018
Krasnodar
Parrots
Hello! And why do not you recommend buying on ebay?
this is the only place where I found a more suitable dosage, we only have 200 mg tablets in a human pharmacy

OP
Lidia

Lidia

Feb 27, 2018
Krasnodar
Parrots
it is interesting to learn from practice how to treat voriconazole in your US, because here no one writes about it, and veterinarians give about 18 g per 1 kg

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Hello! And why do not you recommend buying on ebay?
this is the only place where I found a more suitable dosage, we only have 200 mg tablets in a human pharmacy

It's sometimes hard to tell if the seller is reputable. You have to be careful of counterfeit or contaminated products. They might also be expired.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
OP
Lidia

Lidia

Feb 27, 2018
Krasnodar
Parrots
Yes, I found out that the Canadian pharmacy is not supplied to Russia , but I can order it from Europe, but I need to pay about 572 euros. it is very expensive, like two wages

OP
Lidia

Lidia

Feb 27, 2018
Krasnodar
Parrots
Today they told me that they found it in Moscow: Vfend (Pfizer) in a suspension of 40 mg (voriconazole), it can be more accurately divided, but this packing is sealed, for use it is necessary to divide 45 grams (this into dry matter in a bottle) 5 grams, and is thus stored in a dissolved form for 14 days.
But the question arose whether it is possible to store the remainder ungermatically, I called the representative office of Pfizer in Russia, but they do not know, and throw the phone down.
Here I want to know whether you can ask a question to official representatives, I will be very grateful to you!
Address: 280 Shennecossett Rd, Groton, CT 06340, USA
Phone: +1 860-441-4100
(Pharmaceutical company in Groton, Connecticut)
or
Pfizer Inc.
235 East 42nd Street NY, NY 10017
(212) 733-2323
I wrote to them, but it's long, I want to start treating my gray African parrot soon!
Thanks in advance!

p.s. The question is: can the powder of the suspension be fraction (divide) and partially dissolved and the residues stored in the refrigerator.
Does not lose its properties "voriconazole" when it comes in contact with oxygen while storing an already open bottle ?!
So I wrote them in instagrams: Tell me please, can you divide the powder Vfend (Pfizer) in a suspension of 40 mg (voriconazole), divide 45 grams of powder,dissolve, а the rest and keep the rest in the refrigerator and dissolve in a month.

Last edited:

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
This has some information here.
https://www.pfizermedicalinformation.com/en-us/vfend/storage-handling

The powder seems to be good for 24 months when unmixed and stored in the refrigerator.

The mixed powder you want at room temperature, and it's good for 14 days.

You can probably call a local pharmacy and verify proper storage, but the dry powder is sterile, so you just have to avoid contamination.

I also found an email for the Russian Pfizer office, [email protected] and their website is https://www.pfizermedinfo.ru/ru-ru

Last edited:
OP
Lidia

Lidia

Feb 27, 2018
Krasnodar
Parrots
Thank you very much for answering.
Yes, I called to our representative office, but they could not reply

OP
Lidia

Lidia

Feb 27, 2018
Krasnodar
Parrots
as I understood from their site that it's okay if i split the powder

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
We have done this, and yes the powder will be fine to keep. One rule is never put anything in the bottle. Carefully tap out the amount you need onto a paper on a scale, or use a clean, dry spoon to take it out of the bottle. Never put powder back in the bottle - if you take too much, put that into a second clean dry bottle to use next time. This keeps the main bottle clean.

When we did this for a sick bird, the vet said to keep the dissolved powder in the refrigerator to prevent any organisms from growing in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Lidia

Lidia

Feb 27, 2018
Krasnodar
Parrots
Thank you! Today we will start giving him medicine.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Great job, hopefully Jaquo will respond well to the medicine. I would recommend preparing the solution the same way each time so it becomes familiar, with less chance of error. Let us know if you have difficulty giving him the medicine, there are different techniques to ensure it is fully consumed.

OP
Lidia

Lidia

Feb 27, 2018
Krasnodar
Parrots
Hello! it is interesting to read what methods exist for parrots, since he must swallow all the medicine, of course, do not want to force, but if my parrot does not drink, then I have to force him to drink.

Most Reactions