I ask for your assisstance.

HamadAhli

Mar 2, 2014
UAE, Dubai
Greetings O learned men and women in the ways of the cockatoo;

I desire to take within my care a galah cockatoo in the near future. As opposed to my mother's beliefs I am a responsible adult as I have done my research and know what is expected of me to treat the galah. However I do have a few specific questions regarding the matter and would really appreciate some advice.

So the first question is related to how much the Galah cockatoo needs to be attended with much care and company. I am a college student and attend college from morning to pre-evening(For example from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm).

1- Does my schedule allow me enough time to raise a galah cockatoo?

The second is regarding flight. I have read from many sources that one of the main causes of death for the galah cockatoo is due to fat tumors that is caused by their lack of flight in case they are clipped. Therefore I am scared to clip the bird's wings. I have no idea how to train the bird to fly, I am willing to learn how to train it. but I am scared that if i train it or even take it outdoors to have some fun it would fly away without coming back.

so what is the advice that you could give me regarding that? Please put in mind that I really want a cockatoo and would do anything for it. but in your opinion can I raise it? and if yes what should I do regarding it does not fly away outdoors.

Thanks guys in advance.:grey:

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Very welcome! I love the way you write :)

You are indeed very responsible to FIRST learn about your chosen type of bird before you go out and get one!

I am not familiar with galah's and I'm sure our galah owners will comment shortly, but in the meantime, I share my thoughts -

Regarding time - I work the same hours you mentioned and go away for business for days at a time. My bird does have someone at home (my mother) so he's not entirely alone but he and I have a very loving bond, that I created by spending lots of time with him before and after work and over weekends. You could, in my opinion, easily do that too. Just make sure, if your bird is left alone while you are at school, that he has enough to keep him busy and stimulated : toys and foraging opportunities. Also make as sure as you can that he will be safe whilst alone - in his cage with safe toys, etc.

Regarding fatty tumors - yes, it is a big concern especially in birds that don't get excercise. However, I have an amazon with a damaged wing so he can't fly and I keep him healthy by managing his food. Limited faty treats (like seed) and lots of healthy vegetables. Of course, he also gets lots of excercise climbing about his cage, hanging from rope swings, etc.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Greetings O learned men and women in the ways of the cockatoo
Well there are a certainly quite a few people around here "learned in the way of the cockatoo":p Anyways, I'm glad you're doing your due research before bringing a bird home. That in itself is a sign of being a mature adult- making an informed decision.

1. In short, yes IF you are willing to put in the effort. Many people have parrots who spend time alone during the day. However, due to the time in the cage while you are not there, they will need to be out pretty much all the time when you're home. That would probably mean waking the bird around 6am, feeding it, and having an hour or 2 of interaction time. Lots of people will shower with their parrots in the morning (good for bonding and good for their feathers), or you can just have it with you as you get ready and be talking to it. During the day, you would need to provide toys and foraging opportunities that will teach the bird self-rewarding behavior. As soon as you get home, you would need to let the bird out. We adopted our bird when I was in school, and he would sit with me as I worked on papers and studied. So long as he had some little toys to play with, he was happy. One thing to consider though, is when you are leaving a parrot all day, it is not fair to then turn around and leave it alone all night too. Every once in a while is fine, but if you got a bird on your schedule you would have to be COMMITTED to staying in most nights interacting with your bird until it went to bed (and only you can answer for yourself if you're willing to do that).

2. Yes, fatty liver disease is a concern, and yes parrots need exercise just like us. Parrots need fresh fruit and veg. every single day, as well as a quality seed or pellet mix. Many people (including myself) also cook special nutritious foods for their birds. Clipping is one of those "issues" people really never agree on. Depending where your getting the bird, most will come with some knowledge of flight, and just hone their skill over time. If one had a flighted bird, you can harness train them and just adapt to being extra careful with safety to close all windows, doors, the toilet lid, put them up when you're cooking ext.... Some people also do "recall training" from day one with their birds, which is training it to return to you on command. With a clipped bird, you can still get them exercise, but it is an extra bit of effort. Our bird is clipped because he refuses to learn to fly. We hold his feet and "flap" him around the room (basically just let him flap his wings without really flying) a couple times a day. He's nice and strong like a flighted bird.

3. No one can "put in your mind" that you really want anything and would do anything for it. As with any major decision in life, you MUST MUST MUST do your research and decide for yourself if you're 100% committed. There are many books, websites and of course this forum :) dedicate to informing prospective bird owners about everything from behavior to diet. One thing I do always like people to know about large parrots (and think carefully about this one)- they are just like toddlers, only with big beaks who never grow up. If you really wouldn't consider yourself ready for the time and commitment needed to raise a child, you really aren't ready for the time and commitment to raise a parrot. Best of luck, and remember, theres no rush to bring a bird home tomorrow, so please do your research:grey:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I think you're doing exactly the right thing in finding things out before you get your bird! Well done! :)

I have a Galah, but he is disabled from the effects of neglect. He does indeed have huge fatty tumours from a sunflower seed diet and a too-small cage. He has plucked the feathers from his lower abdomen and from his back between his wings. The vet reckons the plucking went on for so long, the follicles are too damaged to regrow and so the feathers will probably not grow back.

This bird lived on the back porch of my parents' house for over twenty years. During that time, he was taken out daily for exercise (flying around in my Dad's workshop and helping him do carpentry) and regularly brought indoors to share meals (veggies) and company with my parents. When my Dad died, all that stopped. Dominic just lived in his cage, sitting still on one perch with no toys, no company and no opportunity for exercise. This went on for ten years until I kidnapped Dommie and brought him home to live with me.

I think Dom is a textbook example of what can happen to a bird when well-meaning people lose the motivation to take even the minimum daily care of their bird. Pausing by the cage to say 'Hello' simply isn't enough. You have to be willing to interact with the bird for at least a couple of hours every single day. For times when you can't, toys will help alleviate boredom, but the bird needs the company of his flock in order to have good physical and mental health. There is nothing sadder than a bird which has mutilated itself from abject loneliness! Especially when the alternative can be something like our two glamour boys, Mishka and Fargo!

So, you have to really consider whether you will come home most days and sit down to play with and interact with your bird. You have to imagine what life looks like from inside his cage and whether a human child (because that's the rough level of intelligence and capacity a cockatoo has) would be bored witless or occupied enough to be happy. I think the ideal situation is where someone is always at home. Since I'm retired, Dominic is indoors with me during daylight hours every day. He's either on his playgym or on the kitchen table or doing Serious Work in his confetti factory. He sleeps in his (outdoor) cage at night, right next to the Beaks and our little flock of Lovies, but if anyone passes him by, he'll be looking hopefully out with one foot raised to be picked up and taken inside. He hates being alone!

I certainly don't want to put you off getting a Galah! They really do make wonderful, funny, clever pets, but they are needy and they suffer if their owners betray them by running out of time. Only you can know what your schedule is going to be and what level of commitment you'll be able to make. If it turns out you feel you'll only have limited time to spare for a bird, then p'raps a different species might work better for you? Not all birds are as high-maintenance as cockatoos!

I hope you'll let us know what you decide to do and if we can help or support you in any way, please ask your questions as often as you'd like. That's what we're here for. :)

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Excellent post, Betrisher! Just a couple of thoughts to add, since I'm also owner by a galah:

...So the first question is related to how much the Galah cockatoo needs to be attended with much care and company. I am a college student and attend college from morning to pre-evening(For example from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm).

1- Does my schedule allow me enough time to raise a galah cockatoo?

Perhaps, but it depends on how much of your time you are willing to devote to the bird. The thing about these parrots is, they tend to take up ALL of your free time. Do you have an active social life? Do you need to study a lot or do homework outside of school hours? And what about the future? Cockatoos can live 50+ years, so if you work long hours and live alone it can be hard on an animal this intelligent and social.

The second is regarding flight. I have read from many sources that one of the main causes of death for the galah cockatoo is due to fat tumors that is caused by their lack of flight in case they are clipped. Therefore I am scared to clip the bird's wings. I have no idea how to train the bird to fly, I am willing to learn how to train it. but I am scared that if i train it or even take it outdoors to have some fun it would fly away without coming back.

so what is the advice that you could give me regarding that? Please put in mind that I really want a cockatoo and would do anything for it. but in your opinion can I raise it? and if yes what should I do regarding it does not fly away outdoors.

Thanks guys in advance.:grey:

I always recommend leaving galahs flighted, for the reasons you mentioned (physical fitness, avoiding fatty tumors) and also for their mental/emotional health. As a species, they are prone to phobic behaviors. Being flighted gives them confidence, which can really help cut down on these behaviors.

I've noticed a very positive change in my galah since I let her wings brow back (she came to me clipped, but thankfully she's molting so it didn't take long for her to regain her flight. She went from shy and very skittish to bold, outgoing and assertive. Of course, that makes MY life a little more difficult....she constantly flies to me to play, whereas she used to just sit on her stand and mind her business like a little angel (very un-cockatoo-like :p).

She is good about entertaining herself in her cage during the day, but she expects her morning "breakfast" time in the kitchen now, because I have made it our routine. She will scream a little and throw a fit if I don't get her out first thing after turning the lights on. Also, if she doesn't get out again by 7 pm or so, she will start making unhappy squeals.

When she's out, she wants to be with me ALL the time. Maybe it's the way she was raised (not by me), but from what I've heard many galahs tend to be this way. It's difficult to get anything productive done with her around. I love my little pink brat, but she is a huge commitment and definitely not a low-maintenance "pet."

Back to flight, though! Taking a bird outside without a harness is a huge risk I do NOT recommend taking, even if the bird is clipped. A clipped bird can still fly well enough to escape. There are some people that free-fly parrots outdoors, but it is something the bird has to be trained for at a very young age (by an experienced trainer), and most bird owners don't attempt it. It's much simpler and safer to get your bird used to wearing a harness.

OP
H

HamadAhli

Mar 2, 2014
UAE, Dubai
I know not how to express my gratitude. My heart is filled with joy and the soul dances with happiness. Look at us(or you guys more specifically:09:) total strangers with nothing to gain and nigh to attain; wish me luck and give me some sure to be treasured advice. I lie not when I say that I was able to sleep better the night I read your posts :).

Wiping the tears away :09: I must return to the topic of the bird. your replies have been a sword that cut the vines of doubt that have entangled my mind. Other than my time at college, the most productive thing I can do at home is counting the blades of grass, I always get bored after 7. Regarding the "high-maintenance" for the parrot I am rich mentally with a lot of free time, and can afford it and its needs financially.

Allow me to thank you by your names; seeing that I have enough time for raising a cockatoo I have enough time to do this :D. Momtopercy, Kiwibird, Betrisher and aether-drifter. I am in your debt. I would bid you farewell.However, that would infer my departure without return. I will be sticking around and stay within your care :10:.

Thank you guys, sincerely, thank you.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Can I just pop in to say I absolutely love your posts and the way you type? It made my night! Haha.
You're in good company here, I recently joined and everyone has been a great help and very supportive of me and my new feathered friend. Experience is the best teacher.. and there's TONS of experience here :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Here's one major thing I want to add! Make sure your not allergic to the powder dust before you get one! That is one thing people tend to be allergic to is Cockatoo's powder dust. Same with Cockatiels and African Greys. So please do go visit first and be around them as much as you can to find out if your allergic to their dust before you commit to one to bring home with you.

Most Reactions