I can't believe this...

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I've had a very stressful few months, and everything has just gotten worse. I lost my beloved Cat Cleopatra...I know it's only been for a day or two, but temperature go below freezing, not including the windchill's. My little kitty has never spent a night outside in her life before this, and I find it hard to believe she could survive any more nights. I know cats are tough...but she's a scrawny little cat with sleek, short fur. Last night we actually found her, but she crawled through a hole and escaped again. We have looked everywhere and she is no where to be seen. On top of that we have pounds of snow falling from our roofs during the day, and it would just take one moment....I just feel so emotional lately, and now I'm really scared..... Any ideas?
Also,we live right next to a very active road behind our house.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm sorry to hear about Cleopatra. Considering the weather conditions, I would go door to door, sometimes people will invite a friendly kitty inside. I would also put up posters, call animal shelters, vet clinics, and police stations. Post her photo on all your social media sites.
I hope you find her soon. Please keep us updated.

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Thanks! I already went door to door and alerted most of the neighbors in our area. She's a snob when she's outside, and it took me more than an hour of calling to her when I saw her, for her to come. I realized it will be -9 degrees tonight, so I really think the chances of her surviving tonight is not a whole lot....that's what really worries me. But the reason for her escaping in the first place was because she was in heat. x/
Im beside myself. :(

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Allee, when you get into New England, neighbors can be few and far between.....the census says Texas has some 95 people per square mile...Maine has less than half of that.....

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Hmmm, ulterior motives.....

Cats are resourceful and will often hide in old barns, sheds, under houses, etc. and since she already came back to you once, she'll probably be back, albeit with a family in tow, though I'd probably be out calling around also.....

Good luck..., hope you find her.....

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Thanks weco! We found her under our porch last night...because she never usually wanders far...but this is also a different circumstance. O.O
We also live in a town where it has very few people, soo...I have 3 neighbors on our road. I'm actually quite sure she'll eventually come back(hopefully), but when the temps are this low...

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Allee, when you get into New England, neighbors can be few and far between.....the census says Texas has some 95 people per square mile...Maine has less than half of that.....

That really does change things.

I so hope you find Cleopatra.

Lafalidle

Nov 11, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
1 on its way. Its a baby. Dont know yet if boy or girl.
When my cat got out and he is skittish outside not sure why, i borrowed a "live trap" from my neighbor and out a can of that special kitty food that they love and caught him in one night. Just an idea, hope u find cleopatra :(. Thats so stressful. Best wishes!!

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Thanks for the info! I'll have to borrow a trap or something tomorrow, as it's too late to get anything tonight. Right now I'm just worried that she won't survive the horrible weather. 8C

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm so sorry, I really hope you find her soon. I've never had a cat, but I know they're tough little creatures, and resourceful. Sounds like some good advice given :). Best of luck.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Oh NO! -9F? That's crazy... But you know as everybody told you before cats are smart and resourceful at finding a place to hide. A trap is a good idea. You can also just put some of her favorite food at the door - at least you would see if she came to eat it.
BTW, years ago a frozen cat ran right to my door in front of me when I was a student in IN. It was about -10F outside so I HAD to let her in. I had her for about a month, a best cat you could dream of, but unfortunately never found the owners (they were probably not caring at all, because I put ads all over the place). I had to rehome her to a nice home due to the allergy my roommate had and the housing restrictions.
So your cat might be at somebody's place already - you never know.

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
I left some food and water out for her, and it hadn't been touched. I had also left out some warm blankets, and those weren't touched either. I'll find a trap today and leave it out for her. She's been gone for about 24 hours now. I'll try and get permission from our neighbor to look in their shed. The temps said it felt like -3 degrees, and I can only pray that she found a warm place to sleep for the night, and that she hasn't wandered off. It just doesn't look too good. Hopefully she's cuddled up with another cat, since she was in heat. X/ Maybe that will provide her some warmth.

The lows are in the 3's today. But it's 3 degrees now, and the highs will be 25. Tomorrow will be even warmer. If she survived the night, she could be anywhere now. I think she'll be back soon, but...She probably wandered off further because of her intentions.

Last edited:
OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
I'm getting a live trap for Cleo tomorrow, and I investigated a garage across our street. Some cat was certainly there, and paw prints led to a little den. I peeked in and called her, but nothing was there that I could see. But no paw prints led out?

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
I know I keep posting, but I feel better even if I'm posting to myself. I'm off to go search the street again for her, and hopefully I will find her. The low's will be 12 degrees tonight, and tomorrow will get even warmer.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Please keep posting. We are waiting and hoping for Cleo's safe return. A live trap sounds promising and it's pretty likely Cleo escaped the cold in the cozy den you found.

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Thanks guys, your support is very appreciated. I will keep searching for. I did everything with her, though. I love her more than any pet I've ever had. Even more than Kiko. It's just the weather that really scares me. I hope she'll make it through yet another one.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Oh, she might just have run lost... :(( I'd contact all my close neighbors personally going door to door (even if they live not too close) and tell them that I'm looking for my cat. Any piece of information is important!

Most Reactions

Latest posts