I don't know what to do anymore...

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I am so glad so many have stepped forward. I could take one or two, probably no more than that, and it could get complicated to get them here. If you have a vet who will be reasonable it is doable. It sounds like you have plenty of backup. If everything should go very, very wrong, let me know and we will figure it out. I dont have any experience with any of the species you own, but none of us here are going to let you lose your family just because your land lord isn't reasonable.

They just got well birdied over Thanksgiving weekend. They are all in perfect health, and they just got groomed.

Shouldn't need vet care for awhile. In any case, I will provide food, and pay for that stuff should it come to that...

The issue with me helping is that I am in Hawaii. Shipping isnt that expensive, but the reason I mentioned the vet is the mosquito quarantine and health cert needed for them to fly here. I was fortunate enough to find a vet to do the whole 7 day ordeal with exam and certificates (very specifically worded special ones) for $100/bird. I am probably the last on your list of options for many reasons including this, I just want you to know that if things go that far south, I will do what I can and your birds are welcome with me for as long as needed. I wish I were closer, you know, NOT across an ocean.

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
Maybe you can barter with him, if he is adamant about the rent increase try convincing him to let you "work" it off, cut his grass, paint the houses, clean the mailboxes, plant or weed his garden. The stuff that if he has money he probably pays someone to do anyway... Ask him if he needs anything built..... Really explain to him that you can't afford a rent increase but that you are willing to "work" off the difference...

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Maybe you can barter with him, if he is adamant about the rent increase try convincing him to let you "work" it off, cut his grass, paint the houses, clean the mailboxes, plant or weed his garden. The stuff that if he has money he probably pays someone to do anyway... Ask him if he needs anything built..... Really explain to him that you can't afford a rent increase but that you are willing to "work" off the difference...

THIS IS TEXAS!!!

Under the terms of the lease I am ALREADY responsible for 100% of the yard work, and basic home maintenance... including carpet cleaning, etc.

The landlord does nothing except "major" repairs.

And around here we have "der weed police." Subdivisions actually make money by fining homeowners in the subdivision for weeds on their property. So they "inspect" our lawns every two weeks. Anyone found with weeds gets a ten day notice to correct, and after that it is an automatic fine.

If enough fines collect - the subdivision can hire "their" garden people to take over your lawn work, and charge you an arm and a leg for it...

If you don't pay it, and the fines and charges accumulate, they have the right to eventually sell your home out from under you and deduct it from the proceeds of the sale. "Crappy looking lawns affect subdivision property values."

The "village idiot" has a lot of say in what you do with your own property around here. Some CC&R's are so bad that your neighborhood committee gets to decide what you can and cannot do in your back yard. (It has to pass an architectural and landscaping committee first...)

I couldn't put up an outdoor flight in my yard, for example, even if I owned, without approval from the architectural committee... I can virtually guarantee someone on the "architectural committee" would "off the record" say something to the affect of "what is a 'yes' vote worth to you?"

It's very corrupt. It's very "old boy network." And it kinda sucks!

Again, this stuff started as a way to protect YOUR property values from neighbors who don't take care of THEIR property. But what actually happens is everyone gets into everyone else's business, and a neighborhood cliques can and will mess with people they don't like, and perhaps make a little money on the side... (Hey, I gotta give up my free time to be on the committee right? That's worth something...)

Needless to say, if I bought in Texas, it would all come down to the CC&R's, and who the management company is, and my neighbor's are.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
That bit about the home owners association isn't specific to Texas. My sister in Colorado had to have her fence for her yard approved. It had to be a specific type of metal fencing and my parents in Washington state had to get permission to chop down a tree in their yard. It's annoying, but it has nothing to do with Texas.

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I'm so glad that I don't have an HOA. If I did I would get fined all the time for a weed. I don't like them but I hate having to pull them even more. :D

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I believe you Mark I lived in Texas for about 6 years both my son's were born there, it is "something" else that's all I'm gonna say.

As for landlords I have been on the side that can make them so untrusting. As I said I was renting out a home in Michigan. It was my childhood home on 20 acres it came to me after my father passed and the market in northern MI was in the toilet so I couldn't sell. My first renters were bad, did some damage. My second set OMG, always late, always impossible to get a hold of. At one time they cried about their lack of money and I lowered their rent, it was the middle of winter, they had a kid so I was trying to be decent. About 8 months later rent is late yet again, almost an every other month thing, can't get a hold of them so I had to pay my lawyer to take the half hour ride from his office to the house and check. They had abandoned the house after doing about 25k worth of damage. The pictures of the house (inside and out) the lawyer sent me had me sobbing! I lived 18 hours by car away it wasn't like I could check and they knew it.

So that long story told I can tell you that if I had had good renters who paid on time, been there years like you and kept the place up I would have bent over backwards trying to keep them so maybe after you had your talk with him he will weigh the odds and come to the right conclusion that having you as a known great renter is so much better than the unknown.

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That bit about the home owners association isn't specific to Texas. My sister in Colorado had to have her fence for her yard approved. It had to be a specific type of metal fencing and my parents in Washington state had to get permission to chop down a tree in their yard. It's annoying, but it has nothing to do with Texas.

We didn't have restrictions to this extent anywhere in California other than the high end "exclusive" snobby areas... and let's face it. Those folks had "people" who took care of all that stuff for them. So it didn't affect them. The Courts limited the rights of groups to impose themselves on someone else's personal property. CC&R's are written by the developer, and usuallly benefit the developer most of all, who puts his own people on the board once it's built for the first 5-10 years. Anyone buying in, gets stuck with what those people decided.

And in California about half the clauses in my lease would be illegal as a matter of law... The cost of maintenance, ordinary wear and tear items is landlord's responsibility, and they can't (in a residential lease) shift the burden to the tenant by writing it into the contract. (They can with a commercial lease.) Here, there is no real distinction between commercial and residential leases.

CC&R's - restrictions exist everywhere, but the manner in which they are enforced in my subdivision, and the extent to which they can be enforced, and what can be included in Texas, is pretty wide open... California was much more restrictive about an association's ability to impose terms on someone else.

Now, my sister's neighborhood association isn't anywhere near as ruthless in the way they go about enforcing things. So, it really is about who is on the neighborhood association, and who the management company is...

Colorado is pretty bad too from what I hear... I only visited.

California did have restrictions on cutting down certain types of trees.

Washington, it depends on where you live. They were buying up property and "clear cutting" around my Mom's place. I guess they are trying to stop some of that stuff.

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
So that long story told I can tell you that if I had had good renters who paid on time, been there years like you and kept the place up I would have bent over backwards trying to keep them so maybe after you had your talk with him he will weigh the odds and come to the right conclusion that having you as a known great renter is so much better than the unknown.

I am hopeful that this is the case.

I am actually kinda counting on it at this point. That's why I was so firm in my approach. My neighbors who have been here forever say that this house had a revolving door before I moved in...

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Mark, are you on a lease or a month to month contract?

I'm asking because if you are on a signed lease they can't raise your rent until the end of the lease and they have to give you a WRITTEN notice at least 30 days before the end of your lease giving you the option of renewing your lease at the higher rate or moving on.

I'm pretty sure this is standard landlord/tenant law in all states, but I would be willing to do some checking for you if you want.

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
It's all about what neighbourhood you live in as opposed to which state you live in. We have a homeowner's association in the sub where I live and our next door neighbor built his fence literally up to the roofline. He also built a storage unit that's as tall as the house in his back yard right up against the fence line. That would never fly in a lot of neighborhoods.

My parents used to have rental property and when they had good renters they kept them. Unfortunately they had more experiences like labell than positive renters.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's all about what neighbourhood you live in as opposed to which state you live in. We have a homeowner's association in the sub where I live and our next door neighbor built his fence literally up to the roofline. He also built a storage unit that's as tall as the house in his back yard right up against the fence line. That would never fly in a lot of neighborhoods.

My parents used to have rental property and when they had good renters they kept them. Unfortunately they had more experiences like labell than positive renters.

That wouldn't be allowed anywhere in San Antonio, and the hill country is even more restrictive to my knowledge.

I don't understand the desire to trash the place where you live... that doesn't even compute to me. But there are a minority of folks out there who take advantage, and ruin it for everyone.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx

I'm asking because if you are on a signed lease they can't raise your rent until the end of the lease and they have to give you a WRITTEN notice at least 30 days before the end of your lease giving you the option of renewing your lease at the higher rate or moving on.

I'm pretty sure this is standard landlord/tenant law in all states, but I would be willing to do some checking for you if you want.

That's exactly what I know about that too. It's probably a federal law, but I'm not sure. We always got a written notice about the rent increase (or just a renewal) about 4-5 months before our lease ended.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon

That's exactly what I know about that too. It's probably a federal law, but I'm not sure. We always got a written notice about the rent increase (or just a renewal) about 4-5 months before our lease ended.

From what I know of the laws they HAVE to give WRITTEN notice at least 30 days prior to a lease ending AND/OR a month to month rent increase.

I personally give my residents at least 45 days notice in writing, more if the owners give me more notice.

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure

THIS IS TEXAS!!!

Under the terms of the lease I am ALREADY responsible for 100% of the yard work, and basic home maintenance... including carpet cleaning, etc.

The landlord does nothing except "major" repairs.

And around here we have "der weed police." Subdivisions actually make money by fining homeowners in the subdivision for weeds on their property. So they "inspect" our lawns every two weeks. Anyone found with weeds gets a ten day notice to correct, and after that it is an automatic fine.

If enough fines collect - the subdivision can hire "their" garden people to take over your lawn work, and charge you an arm and a leg for it...

If you don't pay it, and the fines and charges accumulate, they have the right to eventually sell your home out from under you and deduct it from the proceeds of the sale. "Crappy looking lawns affect subdivision property values."

The "village idiot" has a lot of say in what you do with your own property around here. Some CC&R's are so bad that your neighborhood committee gets to decide what you can and cannot do in your back yard. (It has to pass an architectural and landscaping committee first...)

I couldn't put up an outdoor flight in my yard, for example, even if I owned, without approval from the architectural committee... I can virtually guarantee someone on the "architectural committee" would "off the record" say something to the affect of "what is a 'yes' vote worth to you?"

It's very corrupt. It's very "old boy network." And it kinda sucks!

Again, this stuff started as a way to protect YOUR property values from neighbors who don't take care of THEIR property. But what actually happens is everyone gets into everyone else's business, and a neighborhood cliques can and will mess with people they don't like, and perhaps make a little money on the side... (Hey, I gotta give up my free time to be on the committee right? That's worth something...)

Needless to say, if I bought in Texas, it would all come down to the CC&R's, and who the management company is, and my neighbor's are.

I meant do HIS work.... At the house HE lives in...... or anything HE needs done..... I know it means more work, but if it helps the situation..... Maybe he will say no, but at least you will look willing to compromise instead of just saying, "if you raise the rent I have to move out... "

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's a property management company. They're the middleman. I don't even know who the owner is, to tell you the truth.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
With Christmas time, there are tons of part time job opportunities - could you pick up a temporary part time job to help bridge the gap? Sounds like you only need to make up the difference until June to reach your goal of staying put until your daughter graduates.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

I was originally on a one year lease - that expired under it's own terms four years ago. Which means by law it converts to a month to month under the terms of the original lease until one side or the other sends a notice of intent to terminate.

They never bothered to renew the lease. They just accepted the rent.

They have told me they will be sending me a notice that they are increasing the rent on the first, and wanted me to sign a retroactive lease addendum. (Which I found funny. And didn't sign, as no one in their right mind would...)

Then they said they would forward me a non-retroactive rent raise notice/lease addendum. They just didn't say by how much. My response to that was you can send it, but notify your owner that I can't pay it and will be forced to vacate if they do that.

Which is where we are now. So far, no addendum... and I think 30 days is required. I think that's pretty universal.

I'm expecting it on my birthday.

Happy friggin' birthday to me!

I'm hoping my bonus will cover moving expenses and/or rent increase. If not, I honestly am out of answers.

I can't move. I can't stay.

You like me and want me to work here, but for less than my cost of living...

And, oh by the way, Sarah still doesn't have her driver's license, or a car, or money for insurance, so we need to live within walking distance of school...

Other than that I seem to have limitless options! :p

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?!

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
With Christmas time, there are tons of part time job opportunities - could you pick up a temporary part time job to help bridge the gap? Sounds like you only need to make up the difference until June to reach your goal of staying put until your daughter graduates.

I'm looking at that as well. It wouldn't be the first time I worked two jobs.

But working myself to death for subsistence pay hardly seems like the long term answer.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Mark, what about alerting all your friends and trying to ask all over the place to find another cheaper place? I HATE those huge apt companies and always tried to rent at a private small place. When we first got to Chicago and rented a little garden apt in downtown near the church my hubby got a job at, it was horribly flooded the first night we were there. The 86 yo lady (owner) was horrified herself, returned our deposit right away and let us stay there for free until we found another place. It was pathetic to look for a new place at the end of August! But in 2 weeks we found an awesome and very cheap little place in a great neighborhood - on CL!!! We lived there until we bought a house, and the owner was very nice and reasonable. It was so much better than the first place we were at! If I was you I'd just start searching now and maybe you will find a new better place to live. Maybe one story of a private house or something like that? You are such a wonderful person, and God for sure has a plan for you!

Most Reactions