Macaw VS. Umbrella 'Too: Screaming

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
Female Cinnamon Cockatiel; Arka
~
Female Red Crowned Amazon; Chiba
How would you compare the screaming of a Macaw and an Umbrella Cockatoo?
I have not yet heard a Mac scream at the top of it's lungs, but I have heard a U2.
Am I in for a BIG surprise?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Well, it's not high pitched but it's certainly loud. Yes, if you haven't heard one before, you're in for a big surprise.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Both are VERY loud, obviously. I find macaw screams more tolerable than cockatoo screams personally. Too's have a very high-pitches shrilly scream that gets to me. That's not to say a macaw on full volume isn't LOUD, it's just a different type of loud. Macaws sound like how you'd expect a parrot to sound, cockatoos sound like banshees:D Have you tried finding videos of a macaw screaming, turning the volume all the way up, then imagining it about 100X louder, which it would be in real life:)

Edit: Are you planning on getting a macaw or just curious? Noise is a MAJOR consideration with bigger birds, and I would strongly suggest if you're considering a macaw to listen to some really vocal ones in real life to see if it's something you can deal with. We used to visit a bird store where the owners had their personal macaws (a few B&G's, a HY, and a scarlet, if I remember correctly) always there to 'greet' customers. Even the joyful squawks from that 'welcoming committee' were a bit much:) Parrots voices are designed to pierce dose rainforest after all, and in domestic homes and suburban neighborhoods, it's not always a very... welcome personality characteristic:20: The noise of those XL birds is one of the big reasons I would personally not consider owning one. I find the noises my amazon can make MORE than loud enough for me:52:

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The difference is that a big mac generally doesn't keep it up for hours at a time. In fact, mine don't usually even last minutes at a time.

In terms of Volume they are about the same. Duration, U2's take it hands down.

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
Both are VERY loud, obviously. I find macaw screams more tolerable than cockatoo screams personally. Too's have a very high-pitches shrilly scream that gets to me. That's not to say a macaw on full volume isn't LOUD, it's just a different type of loud. Macaws sound like how you'd expect a parrot to sound, cockatoos sound like banshees:D Have you tried finding videos of a macaw screaming, turning the volume all the way up, then imagining it about 100X louder, which it would be in real life:)

Edit: Are you planning on getting a macaw or just curious? Noise is a MAJOR consideration with bigger birds, and I would strongly suggest if you're considering a macaw to listen to some really vocal ones in real life to see if it's something you can deal with. We used to visit a bird store where the owners had their personal macaws (a few B&G's, a HY, and a scarlet, if I remember correctly) always there to 'greet' customers. Even the joyful squawks from that 'welcoming committee' were a bit much:) Parrots voices are designed to pierce dose rainforest after all, and in domestic homes and suburban neighborhoods, it's not always a very... welcome personality characteristic:20: The noise of those XL birds is one of the big reasons I would personally not consider owning one. I find the noises my amazon can make MORE than loud enough for me:52:
Thanks!
I can understand different types of loud. I remember having a cute little Sun Conure scream right into my ear. :) Talk about high-pitched! ;)
I want to find a good video of screaming macaws. But I'd rather listen to them in person. "Sadly", none of the Macs I've visited have vocalized to their full ability.

Well, I did have one B&G Macaw in mind. But when I went to visit him today, I found out that he was sold the day before. :(
I am very sad, but it cannot be undone.
So now, I'm just waiting around for "my" bird. If that bird is a Macaw, I want to make sure that I'll be able to handle their screaming. And I understand that each bird is different; some scream more than others.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Also remember that in a bird store, the room may be a lot larger than even a living room in an average home. In a smaller space a loud noise will sound even louder!!
In a large room in a bird store once, I was standing pretty close to a B&G when it decided to sound off full blast. I swear it blew my hair back :52: and made my ears fill with pressure. It was SO extremely loud. Of course many people deal with it, but I "personally" wouldn't feel comfortable with that type of volume. Like it has been said, I do think cockatoos have more of a reputation for being more vocal (longer period if not also more often). The 'large white Toos' species can be a nails on the chalkboard kind of sound as well as loud.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Cockatoos make you want to go jump off a bridge. Macaws make your head vibrate :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So now, I'm just waiting around for "my" bird. If that bird is a Macaw, I want to make sure that I'll be able to handle their screaming. And I understand that each bird is different; some scream more than others.

Sounds like that particular bird wasn't meant to be. The right one is still out there:) And if you like the macaw personality but are a bit intimidated by the noise, don't forget about the mini-macaws! There are several species that are available in the pet trade, and the smaller size means smaller vocal chords:)

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
The difference is that a big mac generally doesn't keep it up for hours at a time. In fact, mine don't usually even last minutes at a time.

We could handle LOUD noise for several minutes a few times a day. It's honestly the constant screaming I would be concerned with. But I'd also have to hear one. :rolleyes:

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~
Also remember that in a bird store, the room may be a lot larger than even a living room in an average home. In a smaller space a loud noise will sound even louder!!
In a large room in a bird store once, I was standing pretty close to a B&G when it decided to sound off full blast. I swear it blew my hair back :52: and made my ears fill with pressure. It was SO extremely loud. Of course many people deal with it, but I "personally" wouldn't feel comfortable with that type of volume. Like it has been said, I do think cockatoos have more of a reputation for being more vocal (longer period if not also more often). The 'large white Toos' species can be a nails on the chalkboard kind of sound as well as loud.
Our living room has a very tall ceiling, so maybe that would help....:D
I suppose my goal now, is to hear a Mac scream at the top of it's lungs in person. I'll know then if I can truly deal with it for the rest of my life.

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~

Sounds like that particular bird wasn't meant to be. The right one is still out there:) And if you like the macaw personality but are a bit intimidated by the noise, don't forget about the mini-macaws! There are several species that are available in the pet trade, and the smaller size means smaller vocal chords:)
Yes, I know that deep down. And I'm definitely not in a rush. I think that I need to simply stop visiting birds until I actually have the cage and toys set up. :rolleyes: That way I won't fall in love with a bird that I can't bring home. Luckily I'm getting a cage towards the end of this month! :D

Bartleby

Apr 13, 2014
Parrots
Blue-fronted Amazon & Blue-throated Macaw
I suppose my goal now, is to hear a Mac scream at the top of it's lungs in person. I'll know then if I can truly deal with it for the rest of my life.

Which side of the state are you on? Anywhere near Kansas City? If so, I can put you in touch with at least one lady where you can hear Macaw screaming to your heart's content!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Cockatoos make you want to go jump off a bridge. Macaws make your head vibrate :)

I second that. Funny stuff! And yet at the same time, not so funny...

(Just wear a base rig, or a bungee cord, and make sure the bridge is at least 800 ft high before you jump.)

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~

Which side of the state are you on? Anywhere near Kansas City? If so, I can put you in touch with at least one lady where you can hear Macaw screaming to your heart's content!
In Kansas, the state? I'm about five or six hours away. Lol.

Bartleby

Apr 13, 2014
Parrots
Blue-fronted Amazon & Blue-throated Macaw

Um, Kansas City is the largest city in the state of Missouri. However, if you are on the opposite side of the state I guess my connection won't be much help.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

We could handle LOUD noise for several minutes a few times a day. It's honestly the constant screaming I would be concerned with. But I'd also have to hear one. :rolleyes:

Macaws that attention scream generally aren't getting enough, or have been trained to scream because their birdslaves come immediately when they are summoned. OR ELSE!

OP
MustLoveAnimals

MustLoveAnimals

Aug 14, 2014
Missouri
Parrots
~

Um, Kansas City is the largest city in the state of Missouri. However, if you are on the opposite side of the state I guess my connection won't be much help.
Ahh, I see. :eek:
I'm not extremely far. Your connection could be very helpful! Thanks!

Most Reactions