I don't think I can do this !

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I am seriously persuaded to get one of these. What are your thoughts regarding a Hahns? They have captured me as well.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I am seriously persuaded to get one of these. What are your thoughts regarding a Hahns? They have captured me as well.

Those are my two favorite mini macs. The Hahn's are a lot smaller, so this is really just a size preference thing... you usually can't go wrong with either one.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Pinch... What was that? Did you see it too?

Pinch... oh, I like that stuff, I want some.

Pinch... I don't like that. Get away from it.

Pinch... Pick me up!

Pinch... Set me down!

Pinch... Let's play!

Pinch... Stop it!

It's really just that simple.

Hmmm, Sounds like my JoJo!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Pinch... What was that? Did you see it too?

Pinch... oh, I like that stuff, I want some.

Pinch... I don't like that. Get away from it.

Pinch... Pick me up!

Pinch... Set me down!

Pinch... Let's play!

Pinch... Stop it!

It's really just that simple.

Hmmm, Sounds like my JoJo!

Conures are just shrunken macaws... so, it fits.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
:DSince I get along well with my conure and am pretty accustomed to reading him...maybe I'll have to give in at some point...

OP
Williamsong

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure~ Baby/Blue Front Amazon~ Cookie/Timneh African Grey~ Dezi/Normal Green Cheek Conure~Petri
I've also heard that amazons get a little easier going with age, I was wondering around what age ? Cookie is 8 right now.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've also heard that amazons get a little easier going with age, I was wondering around what age ? Cookie is 8 right now.

Depends on the bird. 7-12 seems to be the tough age for the hormonal behaviors. Both of mine are well past that age. Sally's almost 17 now, and Lila's around 42.

The biggest thing with a zon is two way communication. If you know what the bird is going to do and can predict behaviors based on past history, and body posturing, and when the bird trusts you, and the bird knows what you're going to do before you do it, then they tend to not react so defensively...

Again, anticipate the defensive stuff. Use two fingers, push the beak aside before he grabs hold of anything, and/or do the "wobble," for a split second, and don't make a big deal of it.

If he does become aggressive, he goes to the floor. Where he will WANT to be picked up.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your new bird. If I remember right, a short time ago you were having biting issues with your GCC as well, while looking into getting a. Second bird, one that would be more cuddly, right? Several of us suggested you learn to manage the biting of the GCC before adding an additional parrot, did that end up working out? Has the GCC learned manners?

People have given really good advice so far, be confident, realize the bird is small and can't kill you, control your emotions, learn his body language, etc. and I agree with all those things. Best of luck to you.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Here is my 2 cents worth. My Buddy is 25 yo and he has been well seasoned but he has been easy!!! I got Venus, my Eclectus we a month ago and she and I have battled. You and your Amazon have to go through a period where trust is built. You've gotten amazing advice from many experts. These experts are well seasoned, very knowledgeable and experienced. Food is a great motivator. But time is essential because trust is earned over time so patience and consistency is key. Also you may be changing routine, routine is key so allow the time for that as well.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So, did you ask him to step up yet? If so, do you still have all 5 fingers:D J/K, I bet he was the perfect gentleman about it;)

As for hormonal behaviors in male amazons, I have always heard they "peak" (i.e. at the worst they'll ever be) between about 6-12 (depending on the bird). There will be a couple year period they are just not a very nice creature to live with, kind of like a human teenager:D But so long as you just keep moving forward, they'll typically mellow out by their early-mid teens and become progressively better birds after that. We adopted Kiwi around age 10 and he was going through his bad years (fun!). We've had him over 6 years now. About 3 years ago we started noticing him REALLY mellowing out with the hormonal stuff, and the past few years he's been a 'perfect' parrot. Gets a bit crabby during breeding season, but it's not a big deal. My mom's 2 amazons (both in their 40's) are super mellow birds.

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
:green: my new Amazon I got is doing pretty good so far and he loves for me to scratch his head occasionally. I want to take the next step and try to get him to step up but he is just so scary and mean ! I am so scared to get him to step up because he is just so un predictable and I am really afraid of that beak ! I know I must sound silly but he is so aggressive, he will sometimes seek out to attack me, while I am sitting at the table he will fly over and try to attack and I have to run and get a towel to put over me so he doesn't keep trying to attack. I don't know what to do and I am just way to scared to put my arm up to him because he is so mean and he sometimes pretends to be nice and shows absoulutely no sign of aggression and will fluff like he wants to be scratched or put his foot out like he wants to step up but as soon as I come near he lunges and acts like he wants to kill me. I'm afraid he is gonna bite me really bad when I put my arm up even if I put a treat on the other side I'm afraid he will bite me to get me away from the treat, I really need help and I need to know what to do. :(:confused::green:

You are describing the exact thing I went through when I got my 15 year old senegal. I was terrified of him. I thought how am I going to be able to care for him properly in terms of good interaction. I tried one day to pet him; he looked all cute and took his foot to show me where he wanted to be scratched. I slooowly approached him not to scare him. Then WHAM he punctures right through my sweatshirt, pierces my skin and I bleed. That was the 1 and only time he has ever bitten me, HARD. I had only had him for 3 days and he had undergone a tremendous change being rehomed after 15 years. Now I pet him and take him out freely. The way I did it was I just went slowly one night and told myself "relax, stop panicking, he can sense everything, just breathe you are fine nothing bad is going to happen your life is not ending and it will be okay" and then I Realized I was already petting him. Lol. Bravery is the key! If you are stressed, don't attempt it, they will sense it. Go to them when calm and relaxed and don't expect bad things to happen. You'll be surprised. I certainly was. Now he just kinda does the motions as if he will bite me if I don't pet him where he wants (what a brat lol) but he doesn't actually bite me. And I am always assessing his behavior to know when he is in a good mood and it would be okay to approach him. If he is in his little "resting corner" as I call it, or someplace else, basically not on his "I want to come out!" perch, then I leave him be until he is eager to come out or if he is just, well, calm :) STAY CALM and STAY POSITIVE. That's how the unexpected but amazing bond of trust is formed. They're scared of you, you're scared of them, and you both have to meet halfway in the middle. You calm = parrot calm. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts