Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Porkchop- Yellow sided GCC
So ironicaly I was on my way to a bird show..
We almost hit a crow and my hubby stopped and let me chase it. I caught him. Very alert1, he has a good bite and an obvious broken wing. We set him up in a quarantine cage with water and fruits veggies and beans, the feather glow. I have food water high and also on the floor. Also covered the cage with a towel in a quiet

On my way again to the bird show but any advice would be more appriated than you can imagine. Thanks!!
Oh and I did the vet tape wrap around the broken wing.

Thanks everyone!
Wildlife rehab center is closed until tommorow..

We will be at the bird fair for a few hours but hoping I can get info in the meantime.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Soft high quality dog food is actually a better choice for food. I used to help re-hab crows and ravens. You could also soak hard high quality dog food (small bites) so it has less salt.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Just be sure to keep the crow as far away from your birds as possible. If you could lay plastic around the base of the cage your keeping him in to prevent mites from crawling everywhere. Remember to do change of clothes and wash your hands after caring for the crow.

OP
Sadie13

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Thank you, he is in a room where my birds never go into.
Just stopped in to drop off my bird show loot.
I use blue buffalo on my dogs. About to soak some of that to include in the feather glow mix.
And taking a plastic tarp up for under the cage. I am being very catious about not interactin with my guys :) Thank you both. I'm really hoping he makes it..
Labell, if you have any more advice from your experience I would love to hear it. Thanks so much!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Crows are HIGHLY intellegent, try not to spook him as they are long if never on forgiveness. Any pieces of raw or cooked meat fed by hand and speak softly will earn you major points.
I have to run out but will PM you later.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Wow, that is pretty cool. As far as I know the few people that keep crows do feed them canned dog food/soaked dog food as part of their diet.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
This is a wild crow though and their diet consists mostly of carrion or road kill. To get him back to health and hopefully flying again he will need high protein in the form of meat.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
I wouldn't vet wrap the wing. You can't really tell how it was broke, and the slightest wrong angle or off bone could prevent flying for the rest of its life (not that it has a good chance of flying again anyways)

Hope you can get to a rehab center. Poor little guy

OP
Sadie13

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
his wing was dragging when we watched him hop across the road, which made us decide to stop and see if we could help. I caught him pretty easy, had to chase him a few feet before he just coward and waited for the inevitable...poor guy.

when i went to check on him and add the soaked food i noticed he ate some of the feather glow and goldenfeast mix. as soon as i gave him the dog food he gobbled it up piece by piece with me a few inches away. he has also noticeably had some water and he is going to the bathroom. still very alert but i am done visiting for the night. i think he needs his rest.

i used the wrap as recommended by the er vet i called after i found out the wildlife rehab center was closed sundays. they told me to place it into the normal wing position and wrap it by going over that wing and under the good one...they said that was the best chance he has until tomorrow because if it is a new injury it would be given a better chance to heal....

no open wounds that i noticed but i didnt want to mess with him too much.

thanks everyone....still hoping for the best!

thawing some ground meat for him to have in the AM.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You did the right thing putting the wing back in position with vet wrap!!!!

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Hi Sadie
I have rehabilitated and adopted corvids. I feed them soaked cat biscuits, they shouldn't really eat dog food as it is not high enough in protein etc. Cat food is a perfect diet for corvids, high in protein and with all the correct nutrients. Tinned cat food can be used but it is really messy and will make the bird’s droppings runny and smelly!
Depending on what sort of crow you have will depend on what its diet should be...Most corvids actually require 80% fruit & veg in their diet and only 20% meat so feed the bird plenty of vegetables. Mine LOVE sweet corn and cucumber slices! They also like cooked pasta, growers pellets for chickens, mild cheese and meal worms.
Please note: If you have a raven or carrion crow more meat is required in its diet :)

Thank you so much for helping the bird. You're doing such a kind, wonderful thing. I hope the bird's wing is repaired soon so it can be released

Last edited:
OP
Sadie13

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
he may be a raven? i am not sure, i didn't spend much time with him yesterday. i just wrapped the wing and fed him and got him set up and i had to run out again after the bird show.
He has feathers on his beak and he is bigger that my eclectus.

i am a little concerned because when i called for the rehabs info this morning they seemed annoyed i didnt just let nature take its course because they were common i assume...

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
A raven looks much different and they are HUGE! Beak and head shape is different and ravens have a tuft of feathers on the back of their necks that makes them very different looking than a crow. Plus the bite you would have received from a wild, injured Raven would have been intense to say the least.

Kitty

Apr 10, 2012
Birmingham. UK
Hi Sadie

It's a shame you're not in the UK because I would've offered you a hand. Unfortunately lots of rehabs do prefer for nature to take its course with common wildlife. If you can't find a rehab that will take the bird you might have to rehabilitate the bird yourself and pay for its vet bills. It's really important that the bird doesn't become used to human contact, you're doing the right thing by not spending much time with it. Sadly, one of the young crows I rehabilitated needed regular handling to clean his wounds. Through so much human contact he became imprinted, because of this it is now illegal for him to be released into the wild. I find this upsetting because no aviary will ever be big enough for him, he deserves to be free. Even though he's imprinted he isn't a domesticated animal and can be very unpredictable.

Last edited:

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
howz he doing now? im so happy you helped the poor guy. he would've been attacked and killed pretty soon out there. is he improving?

OP
Sadie13

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
so far so good. I do have him in a guest room that we are never in.
I moved him to a bigger cage since he was eating drinking and alert. So now he has more room.

I would have no problem taking him to a vet, but would i be allowed? i dont want to bring him in just to have him euthanized. i was under the impression it was illegal to keep wild animals in your home.
the rescue centers did basically give me the vibe i can bring him in to be destroyed. so i would rather do what i can for him first, he isnt suffering from what i've noticed and he has spunk!

His wing is still wrapped and he has a great appetite.
he had some raw ground meat, peppers, corn, tomato, cat food and a few pieces of dog food. i haven't checked on him since i fed him and put him in a larger cage, but he went right for the ground meat.

he is a beautiful guy, amazing to be able to see one up close, and i am really hoping i can get him back on his way.

OP
Sadie13

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Great news! my husband was talking to some friends at work about him and he found out his boss's wife works at a wildlife rehab about an hour from us. After a few phone calls, She is going to meet us half way and make sure he gets treated as an individual and not a "common pest".
She will even let us know when he will be released so we can be there if in fact that is all that is wrong with him.

so happy we found someone with some pull who will take care of him!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Not too many people would've stopped the car, Sadie. What you're doing for that crow is laudable. And I'm glad you've found someone who could continue his care. Hope the crow gets his chance to return to the wild.

OP
Sadie13

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
i appreciate it. after i got back in the car i laughed and asked my husband how stupid i looked and how many cars passed cause i was "in the zone" haha!

i understand the whole survival of the fittest thing but i just can't turn my head if i can at least try to improve a life...

i'm really excited everything worked out in his interest, its always nice to have a happy ending :)

and thank ou all for the advice and suggestions while he was in my care!!! you all kept him a very well fed bird!

NandayMom

Feb 8, 2014
Parrots
Rauri (Sun Conure)
i LOVE crows, they are my favorite bird. do you have any pictures of him??

Most Reactions

Latest posts