i found something he likes to eat besides seeds!

BriansAWildDowner

Jun 17, 2014
Denton, TX
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Raku
I've had such a hard time finding a good food to give to Raku. I tried the nutriberries but he kept just picking out the safflower seeds and tossing the rest. He was never that interested in the nutripellets, or regular pellets.

I finally ordered some pellets from RoudyBush and when I did I also ordered a small bag of their soak and feed stuff. Well of course he ignored the pellets when I gave them to him and I was disheartened by that. But I finally prepared the soak and feed for him and he seems to love it. He runs over to his food dish and starts making his happy sounds. It really looks like he's eating all that I give him too. Some of you with picky eaters might want to give it a shot.

angie_robyn

Nov 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Lilo: pineapple gcc
I'll look into trying it! My Lilo was on a seed diet when I got her. With fresh fruits and veg. I've been trying to mix pellets in with her seed. But she doesn't seem to be touching them. The safflower is her favourite too it I'm sure they are as fatty as sunflower and would probably make better treats than regular feed.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Mix fresh into their foods. Mine are all 100% fruit, veg, rice and legumes now. It takes a lot of time but is worth it.

rosembers

Nov 15, 2015
You can also try birdie breads (I like Harrison's because it's organic, natural, and vet recommended, plus the bread is mostly made from their actual pellets that are ground up). You can add some seeds into the bread before you bake it, and when you feed it to your birds they forage through the bread to get the seeds and end up ingesting some of the bread, which over time gives them an acquired taste for it. Eventually you can start adding pellets into the bread too, and over time they should start eating pellets.

Most Reactions