I got a new Zon...

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I know me going back wasn't really the right thing to do but I was so glad that he missed me. Even if I only had a few minutes with him. He's got me trained already. :D

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Wow, you and Whisper are making incredible progress already. Nothing like a package from MSBS to make a parrot laugh.

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Thanks Allee. I can't wait until the day that we don't have the fear of each other anymore. There will always be some caution I hope but I don't want the fear.

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
So, I got a 1" dowel and put a "line" on it - to keep him on one side and me on the other. :) Had him step up and he did but FIRST he took a bite out of the dowel. Kid you not. My step son and his girlfriend were watching and WOW he bites down and doesn't let go...even while stepping on the perch. Both beak and feet are on the dowel/perch. It's funny but it's not. :32: He eventually lets go but not until he has let you know he's gonna bite the perch you ask him to step up on.

I am going to make him a PVC play stand and place his cage away from the room that I normally sit in. Hopefully it will help and he won't be so territorial. I already have it designed and most of the parts purchased.

He took to his new/hand me down cage within a couple of minutes. Explored the toys inside and out. He does love his foot toys and takes them apart and drops them for me to pick up. :D Which I do. He is also playing with the toys inside his cage and chews them. I find pieces of the toys in the bottom of his cage. I'm saving any good pieces.

I have a small bowl of fruit pellets in his new cage he has tried them. He loves to stick his beak all the way to the bottom of his food bowl. Not sure what he is looking for but he is quite the "ham" and quite proud of himself when he gets his beak out of the bowl...empty so he does the whole thing over again. He also has a mix of seeds and nuts and dried fruits as well as fresh fruits or fresh veggies.

I vacuumed the other day and yep he took a bath in his water bowl. He was on the opposite side of his cage and within seconds he was in his water dish. When I was done vacuuming the room I just left the vacuum on and sprayed him water. He does love his shower/bath.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Sounds like he's now testing you, which is a good thing. He's feeling out where his place in his new "flock" is and seeing what you will and will not allow him to get away with. No shocker that he took a chunk out of the dowel. Kiwi's split a few dowels before too trying to show us who's the "big bad bird". It's their way of nicely showing you just how hard they could bite you if they wanted:54: That's why they are an important part of training an older and aggressive zon. Better the dowel than you fingers/hand:eek: Just be sure to have something you can ward him off with if he travels down the dowel towards your hand. Tap the line and back him off so he picks up what line not to cross (literally);)

It actually sounds like he's settling in quite well:) Especially being so open to a new cage, diet and toys. And I'm glad you experienced the joy of a zon getting a bath! It's the most hilarious thing you've ever seen:D It'll keep getting easier and more trust will build up on both sides. Keep up the good work with Whisper!

OP
Dopey

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I have the "ward off" spoon and the dowel right on top of the cage. I was hoping that if he saw the dowel enough he would get the idea that it's not a bad thing. Thanks so much for your suggestion. My step son is even going to use the idea with his Zon.

Am I to keep practicing him stepping up on the dowel or is there something else I should be doing to get him to stop biting it? It seemed like after about the 3rd or 4th "step up" on the dowel he stopped the biting and just stepped up. I don't know if that was wishful thinking or if that is what should happen.

Most Reactions