I got picked.

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
So some of you might know that I went to a bird fair today and I met tons of different birds and great people. But I was looking at some macaws on a perch and I came across a bird that everyone was avoiding and I asked why and they told me that he had been purchased and then sent back because he hated everyone and he won't go near anyone much less step up. So I was ready to be rejected but I stood there and talked to him for about half an hour talking to him and he offered his foot to me so he could step up but the breeder warned me that if I tried he would bite me but I have never been bit by a macaw and I figured why not test my luck. Well I stuck my hand under his feet and he grabbed me with one foot and held me in place and NAILED me but I didn't react at all I just insisted that he step up and he was so surprised that he did exactly what I asked and by the end of the day he regurgitated on my shoulder(today was a day of many firsts) the breeder was in total shock and insisted that I take the bird home but I am not totally set up yet and want to start working from home full time before I add another family member so she said that she would hold the bird until I am ready Which I warned her would be around next spring but she said that it was fine. So I now officially have a new member of the flock and it feels great that I didn't pick him he picked me. I FORGOT THE BEST PART HE IS NOT A SPECIES THAT I WOULD NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS CONSIDER. I tried to add a pic of him but I am too stupid but he is named lucky he's a little under a year old and he is a shamrock macaw(Scarlett and military mix

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Congratulations!!! It's a great feeling to be picked, isn't it?

Make sure to visit your bird as often as you can to build a relationship between now and then. And take some pics if you can manage to do so. You know how we love pics, hereabouts! Lol!

One thing, though. Contrary to the popular myth, not reacting at all to a bite isn't the best way to handle being bitten. You shouldn't engage in histrionics or anything, nor should you become all visibly fearful and apprehensive, but you should calmly remove his beak and let him know that biting is not okay. You do have to let him know what is not acceptable, same as you would for a little child. You know?

But you'll have lots of time to read up on stuff like that. Congratulations, again on your newly expanded flock!

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Congratulations!!! It's a great feeling to be picked, isn't it?

Make sure to visit your bird as often as you can to build a relationship between now and then. And take some pics if you can manage to do so. You know how we love pics, hereabouts! Lol!

One thing, though. Contrary to the popular myth, not reacting at all to a bite isn't the best way to handle being bitten. You shouldn't engage in histrionics or anything, nor should you become all visibly fearful and apprehensive, but you should calmly remove his beak and let him know that biting is not okay. You do have to let him know what is not acceptable, same as you would for a little child. You know?

But you'll have lots of time to read up on stuff like that. Congratulations, again on your newly expanded flock!
Haha I know about the myth but it was my best course of action because I knew If I would have opened my mouth after being bit like that the least manly sound in the history in the universe would have erupted across the whole place and then I wouldn't have been able to look anyone in the eye for the rest of the day.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I am in total shock that a breeder would hold a bird for you for almost a year. do not be surprised if he is not there when you come back next spring. It feels nice when a bird picks you, sort of.

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
I am in total shock that a breeder would hold a bird for you for almost a year. do not be surprised if he is not there when you come back next spring. It feels nice when a bird picks you, sort of.
I am not too far from her just a couple hours and she's half breeder half rescue she is an amazing lady and won't sell you a bird unless you meet or surpass her standards. I actually saw her husband shoot down a person today (the person was not happy lol) o yea being picked definitely involves more bodily functions than I originally thought there was blood poop and vomit in that order.

Last edited:

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Sounds like a great day, but you need to maintain the relationship with him, so you should visit as often as possible and as I mentioned in all those personal PMs, lots of hands on experience will be huge help in long term success. If they are that close, I am sure a rescue will love to have a volunteer who wants to learn Macaw 101 :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Sounds like the day I walked into a New Mexico bird store and the Rbird spotted me and shrieked and flapped/jumped his way to my arms. Found out later I was practically a twin for his breeder. Yeah, it felt good in a way I have never experienced before or since.

OP
C

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Sounds like a great day, but you need to maintain the relationship with him, so you should visit as often as possible and as I mentioned in all those personal PMs, lots of hands on experience will be huge help in long term success. If they are that close, I am sure a rescue will love to have a volunteer who wants to learn Macaw 101 :)

I would love to volunteer so I contacted them and no response yet but I would love it if I could go get more experience. Lucky is a shamrock macaw and that is a cross of the two most beaky macaws so I think that any help would go a long way.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
...I tried to add a pic of him but I am too stupid but he is named lucky he's a little under a year old and he is a shamrock macaw(Scarlett and military mix)

The best way to attach a pic is to upload it to Photobucket, click on the link tab to get the HTML (the lower most one is the best for forum attachment purposes), copy it, and then paste in your reply window.

Most Reactions