I have a deposit on a baby :D

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Awwe, a little girl for you! Don't get too discouraged about the talking. She could very well be able to pick up a few words and whistles if not quite a few! Plus, like you mentioned I guarentee she will steal your heart and you won't be able to imagine life without your little girl! ; )

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My Nanday will be 12 in April. She has never laid an egg. My BCC never laid one either. And I guess Merlin has only laid one in her 21 years. So I wouldn't worry about egg binding. I do now have a male bird in the house though so we shall see if that inspires the girls to lay. But, Merlin was with 2 male birds her entire life in her previous home. I know from her blood panel she is saving up calcium so she is at least thinking about it, or preparing herself for mating if the opportunity arises.

As for talking, you never know what you will get. My conure is quite a talker, and she is not a species known for having a lot of talking ability. She knows a lot more words than either Pete or Merlin, who are both species known as good talkers. I really think it depends on how much you talk to them. But, both Pete and Merlin have said some new things recently. Now they are with a person who talks to birds all day, lol!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Don't be disheartened about the talking, females are often 'less likely' to talk than males, but not 'not talkers'.

Egg binding, I'd just recommend making sure she has a diet that has plenty of calcium and like someone else said - don't pet around her back/vent as she'll get hormonal and want to lay. Same with a mirror. Just keep those kind of 'stimulus' down and I really don't think you'll have a problem.

She looks adorable and I'm excited for you to get her home! Update us with the name you picked when you have! :D

OP
mnkeastman

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
Thanks for the responses, it really makes me feel better about the egg binding and all that :).

As for a name we went through a list last night and agreed on Pixie :).

They fly, have pretty wings, can be mischief makers and has Pi in the name so I think its a cute choice.

Let hope Pixie herself likes it :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
That sounds like a good name to me. And at least by knowing gender right away she didn't accidentally end up with a boy's name like Merlin, lol! And even though I thought Rowdy was not gender specific everyone else thinks it's a boy's name. I keep telling everyone she is a she, but they keep calling her he.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
What a little cutie :)
Congrats on your new baby !:)

MyStar

Dec 2, 2011
>>>>>>>Plus I am a tad disappointed in her being female because from what I understand that means even less chance she will have any talking ability.

i heard that too , but lucky for me my baby female pionus didn't .....

last night , i was cleaning her cage and vacuuming around and she was watching me from inside her cage , she really wanted to go out so she said "are you a good bird ? " twice , in her funny voice. i was very surprised ( first time she ever try to talk) and answered "yes you are" and she said it again " are you a good bird ? " not very clear but everyone in the room was able to understand what she was saying ,,,, very very cute ....

i was happy to find out my pionus is female because they are suppose to be less aggressive , i hope that part is true :)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
You'll find that talking doesn't matter one little bit, after you get your bird home...

Most Reactions