I have a question

Robf1988

May 14, 2023
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
I hope someone can help. I have an 11yo scarlet macaw, adopted him 3 months ago. I just adopted an older blue and gold with special needs ( blind in the left eye). My scarlet is acting very jealous and throwing his food bowls. Will this behavior change back to his normal?

GirlLovesBirds

Jul 31, 2023
Miami
Parrots
Guillermo (parakeet)
John (cockatoo)
It's not uncommon for birds, especially those that have been in a single-pet household for a long time, to exhibit jealousy or territorial behavior when a new bird is introduced to the environment. This change can be stressful for them, and they may react by displaying aggressive or disruptive behaviors like throwing food bowls.

However, with time, patience, and proper introduction techniques, it is possible for your scarlet macaw to adjust to the new situation and revert to his normal behavior. Here are some tips to help ease the transition and reduce jealousy:

1. Gradual Introduction: Keep the new bird in a separate cage at first, and gradually introduce them to each other in a neutral space outside of their cages. Supervise their interactions to ensure they are getting along.
  2. Separate Feeding Stations: Provide separate feeding stations for both birds to prevent competition and reduce jealousy over food.
  3. Positive Reinforcement: Praise and reward your scarlet macaw when he displays positive behavior and interacts calmly with the new bird.
  4. Environmental Enrichment: Provide plenty of toys, perches, and activities to keep both birds mentally and physically stimulated.
  5. Consistency: Stick to a consistent daily routine, as birds thrive on predictability.
  6. Patience: Give your birds time to adjust to each other's presence. The process may take weeks or even months.
Remember, each bird is unique, and their adjustment period can vary. If you're concerned about their behavior, consult with an avian veterinarian or an experienced bird behaviorist who can provide tailored advice and support.

Over time, with love, patience, and understanding, your scarlet macaw is likely to adapt to the new situation, and both birds can enjoy a harmonious life together.

Most Reactions