Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
In a previous post, I mentioned how :white1: has never stepped onto a stick. We tried one day with devastating results, which left her petrified. :17:

The day my nephew stopped breathing, and was rushed into hospital, I spent the night at my brother's place looking after Nikita and Tyler.

Mishka was in the care of my two teen sons Sean and Steven. Needless to say, they struggled to get her out the cage, :28:
I always take her in and out with my hands only. It took them forever to get her out, leaving the door open, eventually Mishka climbed on top of her cage. They then placed her night cage, next to her big one. About 30 minutes later when Mishka got tired, she climbed down, and sat on top of her night cage. They had to bribe her with treats getting her into the night cage. :smile003:

Today the wholesaler where I purchase Mishka's pellets from, gave me a "pink" stick for her to step up onto.

I sat with her on my lap, with the stick nearby boy did her feathers ruffel at first. :propeller I sat there holding the stick with both hands, lifting it up saying mommy uppies mommy uppies, then lifting the stick upwards. with both hands. She flew off my lap at least 4 times petrified. :46:

I then had a "brain attack" and stayed on course.
I began to give the stick kisses saying "give me a kiss please" and kissing the stick, continued with this for about 1 hour. :bigkiss:
A little while later Mishka walked up to the stick said "give me a kiss please" gave the stick a kiss, and stepped on to the stick and stayed there.

I then took her into my guys bedroom, still standing on the stick. Steven then took the stick from me, and :grey: remained on the stick, looking so please with herself.

I reckon my "bird brain" is a little larger than :grey: now

Oh yeah great news, :jumping40 the wholesaler just returned from Germany, where he purchased many stimulating toys for birds, guess I have to wait for him to unpack them

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
That is a cute story about you and Mishka. Your bond is so strong. If I were a parrot I would want you as my guardian.

wuvzbirdies

May 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Russell Peters (R.I.P. my baby)
OMG, Antoinette that is the finniest story. All I can picture now is you sitting there kissing a stick for an hour and then Mishka moving in on your new found love!

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OMG, Antoinette that is the finniest story. All I can picture now is you sitting there kissing a stick for an hour and then Mishka moving in on your new found love!

I think :grey: actually got jealous, and had to act quickly.

Off the subject, how are you and Russell doing, have you gone for a second opinion yet, still in my thoughts. ;)

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
That is a cute story about you and Mishka. Your bond is so strong. If I were a parrot I would want you as my guardian.

That is so sweet of your SB BUT
We have a special bond, :59: had it not been for the forum. Rosie and Mishka, we would never ever have met, and missed out on a wonderful friendship that will last a lifetime. :smile030:

wuvzbirdies

May 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Russell Peters (R.I.P. my baby)
[/quote]

Off the subject, how are you and Russell doing, have you gone for a second opinion yet, still in my thoughts. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes I went for the 2nd opinion it came back negative so I had an appt at one of the best hospitals in Canada for a 3rd and final on and it got postponed until the end of September. I decided to cancel it as I know the 2nd opinion was correct and it looks like it is my asthma getting worse. I feel silly for almost surrendering Russell to another family without looking into it further, it was quite a shock being told I had an incurable disease and I had to give my pet away. Luckily I came here and my forum family was quick to press for 2nd opinions.

I'm advair now and notice an improvement.

Thanks for asking.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
If you want your bird to step up onto a stick "kiss the stick"
After kissing the stick for an hour last night it sure has paid off.

Tonight I placed :white1: on her potty, when she had poopied I took the stick, kissed it and told her to step on the stick, she then proudly stepped onto the stick. During her training session this evening, after each potty sitting, she politely stepped onto the stick each time.

I don't think :white1: realizes what she has achieved, but I must admit, she really looks like a "lady stepping out" :smiley4:

Most Reactions

Latest posts