I need a GOOD cage!!

BrittGoBucks

Sep 2, 2007
Media
Ok I have an umbrella cockatoo and we just got a new cage for him a little over a year ago..well, apparently, contrary to what the magazine stated, I don't think this cage was quite meant for a parrot of his size. He's tearing it apart! The wire just isn't heavy-duty enough to hold up to him chewing on it, and he's snapping off the wires. So far he hasn't gotten any of the wires all the way off, but he's getting close with a few. Plus, the noise it makes when he clamps down on those wires is SO annoying, and he does it all the time. We give him all kinds of toys but he'd rather just chew on his cage...so, does anyone have an umbrella cockatoo or larger parrot, and what kind of cage do you have (brand?)..does is hold up? I really need to find a cage that he can't destroy. Thanks!:D

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
I don't own a large parrot, however i do know alot of people with large parrots. I know a few with mullocan cockatoos, they use King cages, or avian adventures.

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
I don't own a large parrot, however i do know alot of people with large parrots. I know a few with mullocan cockatoos, they use King cages, or avian adventures.

I have a Senegal - his smaller one (at the 'Grands') is from Avian Adventures. His larger one (here) I can't remember the manufacturer right off. I liked the King one's too, but what I needed wasn't available with the necessary bar spacing for my fid.

Many here can probably better help with cockatoo cages. If you search through this topic you can get the link to windy city parrots which seems to have pretty good houses. That may be a good start to give you some ideas.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
I have a Senegal - his smaller one (at the 'Grands') is from Avian Adventures. His larger one (here) I can't remember the manufacturer right off. I liked the King one's too, but what I needed wasn't available with the necessary bar spacing for my fid.

Many here can probably better help with cockatoo cages. If you search through this topic you can get the link to windy city parrots which seems to have pretty good houses. That may be a good start to give you some ideas.

Really, i'm getting a senegal soon and i'm looking at getting the mediana one.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I have a Mealy Amazon. I got her cage off e-bay. She really doesn't like to chew so I'm not really sure how it would hold up with a U2. There are some Too owners on here so hopefully they will have some good advice.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Stainless Steel for a big parrot with a big beak ... make sure you go for Stainless ...

Welcome to the forum!

rockinseattle

Aug 16, 2007
WA United States
Parrots
2 large macaws 1 CAG, 1 mini macaw, 1 amazon, 1 cockatoo
Birdcagemart has IMO good prices on Avian Adventure cages.. I would go with stainless steel. True it cost a little more but I thik it's worth it in the end.

If you really want powder coated then go with Avian Adventure or Kings cages. They use a thicker guage steel for the large cages then do some of the off brands..

How long is your bird in his cage for and does he have toys to chew on and play with?
http://www.birdcagemart.com/

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Lots of great options on that site, prices aren't too bad either ...

OP
BrittGoBucks

BrittGoBucks

Sep 2, 2007
Media
Thanks for everyone's input. We have several toys in his cage, though unfortunately we can't afford to go buy him lots of commercial bird toys. I've made a few for him lately but he doesn't seem to care for them. He's in his cage more than he is out because of busy schedules, but when we are home, he's out. (I'd say maybe 3-4 hours a day, either all at once or separated into several sessions). He's got a lot of different kinds of toys, like a paper roll to shred, a phonebook to shred, wooden toys to chew, and leather strings that are knotted so he can untie them. He also seems to like to weave rope or string into things, so there's some sisal rope in there too. For some reason he just likes to clamp down on those bars!

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Thanks for everyone's input. We have several toys in his cage, though unfortunately we can't afford to go buy him lots of commercial bird toys. I've made a few for him lately but he doesn't seem to care for them. He's in his cage more than he is out because of busy schedules, but when we are home, he's out. (I'd say maybe 3-4 hours a day, either all at once or separated into several sessions). He's got a lot of different kinds of toys, like a paper roll to shred, a phonebook to shred, wooden toys to chew, and leather strings that are knotted so he can untie them. He also seems to like to weave rope or string into things, so there's some sisal rope in there too. For some reason he just likes to clamp down on those bars!

Hi Brittney!

The toys you're providing are... well let's get to cage.

Someone recommended stainless steel - that's your best investment. Go stainless if you can, and if you can't - powder-coated... ONLY from an American made, American manufactured company...ONLY.

Second - the paper roll, which I think is the roll from the paper towels or toilet paper - it's not a toy. The glue that attaches the last sheet contains a lot of zinc, as well as the glue that holds the roll together (Kimberly-Clark, a maker, posted something about it...). While I don't know, but suspect, the same goes for those phone books (glue in the spine).

This is a hot topic for me... I almost lost my fid because of zinc poisoning. His house was a starter and towel rolls (cheap toy, deadly possibilities).

But, I wouldn't wish a year ago on anyone nor the concerns/care now. Invest big in an American made cage - Stainless Steel if you can (about $200-500 more). Stop giving your fid the rolls and the phone book to chew.

Best of fid,

Keupi

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Hi Brittney!

The toys you're providing are... well let's get to cage.

Someone recommended stainless steel - that's your best investment. Go stainless if you can, and if you can't - powder-coated... ONLY from an American made, American manufactured company...ONLY.

Second - the paper roll, which I think is the roll from the paper towels or toilet paper - it's not a toy. The glue that attaches the last sheet contains a lot of zinc, as well as the glue that holds the roll together (Kimberly-Clark, a maker, posted something about it...). While I don't know, but suspect, the same goes for those phone books (glue in the spine).

This is a hot topic for me... I almost lost my fid because of zinc poisoning. His house was a starter and towel rolls (cheap toy, deadly possibilities).

But, I wouldn't wish a year ago on anyone nor the concerns/care now. Invest big in an American made cage - Stainless Steel if you can (about $200-500 more). Stop giving your fid the rolls and the phone book to chew.

Best of fid,

Keupi

I think she;s meaning like the till rolls... like umm its just rolls of paper you can buy....

TillRollSmall01.jpg

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
I think she;s meaning like the till rolls... like umm its just rolls of paper you can buy....

TillRollSmall01.jpg

Yes - and those rolls, regardless of manufacturer have known problems (the warning by Kimberly Clark was only by ONE manufacturer).

It's not the rolls, it's the glue. It's not that anything's been done wrong it's a caution to make sure all is right.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Hey Britt... Welcome to the Forum!!

Even though money is tight, I would recommend going with a Stainless Steel cage. It should definitely hold up to your bird's beak. Another option on the toys would be to get mechanical toys with nuts & bolts that your bird can take apart and unscrew. Since he seems to like to clamp down on the bars & metal, maybe he'll like those kinds of toys. I would recommend buying a mechanical toy though instead of making it yourself. Unless you buy stainless steel parts, then that would work.

As far as paper rolls & phonebooks, I give those to my birds too and they love to shred them. I'm sure there's info. out there saying they're bad, and info. saying they're good. It's up to you to make the final choice.

Does your bird bite the bars when he's outside of the cage? Just wondering.

Good luck with your search for a bird cage!

Kais2ndmomma

Aug 27, 2007
Parrots
Kai, G2
Lenny, L2
Macai, M2
Peek-a-boo, U2
Lucy, Lovebird
Benji and Lani, Lories
Chili, Conure
Cliffie, Duck
Phone books are FINE. They're made with soy ink and the binding is a natural substance (I can look up the exact name, if you really want me to) and, by law, is 100% safe for animals. Both newspapers and phone books are required by law to be 100% non toxic and animal safe and environmentally friendly.
ALL my birds have a phone book and they just love them!

OP
BrittGoBucks

BrittGoBucks

Sep 2, 2007
Media
I've heard of that too, the paper rolls/phone books possibly containing toxic glue or ink, but we asked the vet last time we were there (about a week ago) and he said they should be fine; he even had phone books in his own birds' cages (that's actually where we got the idea to do it). And even then, with the rolls, I always peel off the first bit that contains the glue, and take out the roll when it gets low, before the actual roll is visible.

When he's out, he does sometimes bite his cage, depending on his "mood". Sometimes when he gets peeved that someone is sitting nearby, but not paying enough attention to him, he'll do it as an attention-getter, which I've come to believe is the reason he does this at all---to get attention. He's very spoiled...:p

It seems as though the more attention he gets, the more he wants, and he's never satisfied. I know it's their nature, but it's so hard to give him all the attention he wants....if it were up to him he'd be out with us 24/7, and even that wouldn't be enough. :rolleyes: *sigh* lol

I'm continuing the search for a stainless steel cage..I've seen a lot I like but it's just finding one I can afford!!:eek:

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Personally I don't give my birds those to play with because of the glue. I'm just being very cautious and besides I'm sure my birds probably wouldn't like them anyways.
Have you ever tried a babble ball to keep her entertained. Popsicle loves her's, she likes to attack it, but Pepsi hated it. It might work for you to maybe help with the cage chewing.

OP
BrittGoBucks

BrittGoBucks

Sep 2, 2007
Media
Just a quick add-on to my initial question.

I'm seriously considering a stainless steel cage because of the suggestions, but I was just wondering about wrought iron. Our vet has 2 cages in his office for his amazons, both look almost like they might be custom-made, maybe not but I've never seen anything like them in catalogs, stores, internet, etc. Anyway, they are both made of very thick wrought iron bars (the largest bars I've seen on any cage). It just looks like a very, very durable cage. The only thing I didn't really like about it is that it was painted, and the paint was peeling off or chipped off all over. I'm sure the paint is non-toxic, but I just get a little worried when I see stuff like that. Anyway, any input on this type of cage? Has anyone here had a custom cage made?

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Just a quick add-on to my initial question.

I'm seriously considering a stainless steel cage because of the suggestions, but I was just wondering about wrought iron. Our vet has 2 cages in his office for his amazons, both look almost like they might be custom-made, maybe not but I've never seen anything like them in catalogs, stores, internet, etc. Anyway, they are both made of very thick wrought iron bars (the largest bars I've seen on any cage). It just looks like a very, very durable cage. The only thing I didn't really like about it is that it was painted, and the paint was peeling off or chipped off all over. I'm sure the paint is non-toxic, but I just get a little worried when I see stuff like that. Anyway, any input on this type of cage? Has anyone here had a custom cage made?

I can't comment on the wrought iron, and again - I'm very biased about this so temper my comments with other ones and go with what YOU think best...

Ask around (here - ask) about what cages are good for amazons. Do your own research about what is available to you, in your area (shops and shipping to).

BUT, if you're Cockatoo has chewed through or mangled the bars of his house what you need to do is buy him the most affordable cage, with appropriate bars quickly. You can worry about the right one and right toys and all of that later. If he's chewing through the bars and such, as described, you're main concern is bar spacing and bar width. Get the best you can now and save for the 'best' later.

Consider what you're looking for a 'tweener' house (and by tweener I mean, the one now and the one you're looking/saving for).

Most Reactions