I need advise/help 8 wk baby dusky sneezing

Shanti10

Jan 17, 2013
Hi There--

I have been in the market the last month for a baby conure-- I lost conure tragically couple years ago.. and have gave some time heal to make sure I was ready again for that commitment.

So, I have been browsing breeders/ older birds on kijiji... and craigslist for the right bird... but the other day I went to the local pet shop to get a few odds and ends for my other pets... and there were two little conures ( I don't generally support buying from stores... but I had too) I asked about the two little guys.. and one was 10/11 weeks and the other one was "around" 8 weeks. WHAT?? open to the public's hands and in the store?? and on shavings.. wow... and what.. you just had them flown in last night...?? OH wait... they are both still being hand fed.. and for sale? YIKES!

OKay, so here is where I need advise. I bought.. the Dusky Conure, 8 weeks, as the other one has a better chance IMO being older. I have "him" gender unknown. they were flown in Friday, and displayed in the store on saturday, and I took him home Saturday morning. I had fed my previous conure but he was a bit older 10weeks and on less feedings. They "showed" me how to feed, however from my limited experience it was done incorrect, but anyways, I think they aspirated him a bit in that feeding, because they were rushing and not being careful

I think he is younger than 8 weeks, he is fully feathered, but is a baby, baby. He is eating 4 good sized feedings a day.. 730 am 1230pm 430pm and 9-9:30pm then bedtime.
so Saturday after noon he started "coughing" and sneezing, no nasel discharge. has been "normal" bird behavior and super cuddley,
Sunday-- the coughing stopped (I know they don't cough but that what it sound like) breathing is normal-- activity normal, eating millet, (have not seen any seed being ate yet) still sneezing a bit

This AM the same thing, sneezy, the "cough" is still gone. normal eating/bird behavior.

he has been juggled a lot over the weekend through transportation, store, my home.. Should I be worried??

Should I be taking him to the vet? he is acting normal, I am covering his cage at nighttime so he retains some warmth.. I wanna make sure I am doing the right thing..

Thanks

Sarah

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi
After a quick search there's the possibility it could be a bacterial or viral problem and the little one should be seen by an Avian Vet. Have you one nearby you can go to?

Last edited:
OP
S

Shanti10

Jan 17, 2013
that is what I have read too... I have phoned around and have an apt this afternoon for Peyton.. fingers crossed. Avian vets are so few and far between in my area, they are always booked up.

Sarah

OP
S

Shanti10

Jan 17, 2013
Good news, he doesn't need antibiotics yet, his chest is clear... going to follow up and end of week/few days to see if anything has change or improved. His poops are runnier than the vet liked.. and he is underweight.... so keeping him warm and full belly are main goals atm. any ideas to get him to eat more? he is eating a lot 4x a day, with a full crop, offering lots of millet/seed. going to try some fresh fruits tonight. Overall prognosis is good... if things don't perk up, he will be on anti biotics.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Good news, he doesn't need antibiotics yet, his chest is clear... going to follow up and end of week/few days to see if anything has change or improved. His poops are runnier than the vet liked.. and he is underweight.... so keeping him warm and full belly are main goals atm. any ideas to get him to eat more? he is eating a lot 4x a day, with a full crop, offering lots of millet/seed. going to try some fresh fruits tonight. Overall prognosis is good... if things don't perk up, he will be on anti biotics.

Hello not sure what you are feeding him but in my mind I wouldnt risk the millet and seed in terms of if he is eating this, it has less nutritional offerings to a lot of other stuff he could eat. Bit like dont eat those sweets til you have had your dinner lol :)

Have you got him a very good quality hand feeding formula as he is needing a bit more.

Found a link fyi - have a look at the diet info further down. https://pethelpful.com/birds/A-Dusky-Conure-as-a-Pet-Bird-An-Affectionate-and-Clever-Parrot

Last edited:
OP
S

Shanti10

Jan 17, 2013
Thank you for the link and all your help! very helpful :)

-- I am going to get him a pelleted food tomorrow. I have tried to give him apple--- but there was no interest- as well as mushed up peas.. he has been eating way more millet, so guessing he is feeling better, but like you said, they don't get much out of it, so that will be changing!

the place where I got him from -- sold me what he was on "Kaytee Exact with omega 3" is there a better brand I can use? My husband came home with a scale tonight-- I had just fed him and he ate really well he weighed 102 grams... 2 hours later before bedtime weighed him again he was 98 and offered him a bit of formula and he took some. Will do weight in the AM before I feed him :) the ranges for the weights are soooo from one scale to the other.. what should he be??

I have been offering formula him more than 4xs a day (he makes it quite clear to me now when it is feeding time), and his poops are looking normal today.. and had a couple smaller bits of formula in between his big meals. Still sneezing a bit, but not as much, but much more active today now that he is settling into his forever home :)

tomorrow, like I said, I plan on picking up a pellet formula, and going to cook some rice, and sweet potato, and a few veggies-- to see what he has a craving for.

Ultimately, I want him to be healthy and do all the right things to make him grow and be happy.. hence I am asking :)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Thank you for the link and all your help! very helpful :)

-- I am going to get him a pelleted food tomorrow. I have tried to give him apple--- but there was no interest- as well as mushed up peas.. he has been eating way more millet, so guessing he is feeling better, but like you said, they don't get much out of it, so that will be changing!

the place where I got him from -- sold me what he was on "Kaytee Exact with omega 3" is there a better brand I can use? My husband came home with a scale tonight-- I had just fed him and he ate really well he weighed 102 grams... 2 hours later before bedtime weighed him again he was 98 and offered him a bit of formula and he took some. Will do weight in the AM before I feed him :) the ranges for the weights are soooo from one scale to the other.. what should he be??

I have been offering formula him more than 4xs a day (he makes it quite clear to me now when it is feeding time), and his poops are looking normal today.. and had a couple smaller bits of formula in between his big meals. Still sneezing a bit, but not as much, but much more active today now that he is settling into his forever home :)

tomorrow, like I said, I plan on picking up a pellet formula, and going to cook some rice, and sweet potato, and a few veggies-- to see what he has a craving for.

Ultimately, I want him to be healthy and do all the right things to make him grow and be happy.. hence I am asking :)

Hi Shanti been looking for you and it says average weight is 90g, so not sure if this is correct.

The weight fluctuation, dont worry a poop can weight a fair bit., 1-2g. Did you ask the AV? Prob makes sense to weigh at same time each day.

Is this the feeding formula you mentioned

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Exact-Hand-Feeding-18-Ounce/dp/B0002DGJH8"]Amazon.com: Kaytee Exact Hand Feeding for Baby Bird, 18-Ounce: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Please do zoom in and read the small print on this product it does contain some very interesting info and will possibly help you with some of your questions.

If he is eating well and it sounds okay that he is, work on quality of food, good nutrition.:)

PS Another breed link for info https://www.beautyofbirds.com/duskyheadedconures.html

this give some info on types of food these little wonders like/should eat.

Last edited:
OP
S

Shanti10

Jan 17, 2013
Yes that is the formula... I purchased some pellets today, waited until feeding time to introduce them, and it took some convincing but I did end up hand feeding 3-4 round pellets to him, had no interest in sweet potatoes, and then gave him formula, to show him there's other food other than formula!

I swapped out the seed and millet in the cage, and after our feed and snuggle and play time, I put him away to rest (as much as I would love to him with him 24/7!!) and I put a dish of pellets right beside where his more common place to perch is, and he started snacking on the pellets a bit.

his sneezing isn't persistent anymore, more comes in clusters (this am was a lot), but this after noon it is better! Seems to be more and more vocal.. baby squawks when we have a full belly and snuggling, and responding to the other birds in the house-- calling out. :)

Sucre

Jan 16, 2016
Kentucky
Parrots
Sun conure, black capped conure, yellow sided conure, and a turquoise IRN
I just went through the same feeding dilemma that you are with my little yellow side conure. She is 4 months now, and weaned and flying, but I seriously thought she was going to let me hand feed her formula forever.

I used the Kaytee Exact, but also mixed in some Missing Link with it. It's great for vitamins / nutrients, and seemed to keep her full longer. I also always mix in organic baby food - fruits and veggies once we get down to 2 feedings a day, and that seems to give them more of a taste for fruits and veggies when they are ready for the real thing. (Bananas, sweet potatoes, green beans, pears)

Lucy loves pear and apple, diced up very tiny. I take a broccoli floret and dice up the head of it very fine, and stir it in with the fruit - the juice makes it stick to the fruit and she gets her veggies and fruit with every bite. I also sprinkle a pinch of Oats Groates on top of all of it. She's a good little eater now, but I thought I would never get her off formula.

Glad she / he is doing better! I bet the sneezing was from all the temperature changes and environmental changes.

OP
S

Shanti10

Jan 17, 2013
Thank you for the support! He is growing and eating like crazy! Still on 3 - 4 feedings a day, I feed him in the AM, and then I leave it up to him to tell me he is hungry, he is trying out lots of fruits and veggies, along with his pellets. He went from 91-92grams, ( his chest bones was quite pronounced) and now he is 96/97 grams. The vet called me to check up on him, and said he should range anywhere from 97-100 grams just have to make sure he doesn't get too fat, and not too thin.. we are still to find that balance!

I have taught him to poop on demand now, he is amazing at his step up, and we are working on our 'high five'.. here are some pics of him.. varies over the last few weeks... you can kinda tell the blurry head one that he is grown!

20160319_155505_resized.jpg

20160324_085512_resized.jpg

20160405_155045-1_resized.jpg

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Thank you for the support! He is growing and eating like crazy! Still on 3 - 4 feedings a day, I feed him in the AM, and then I leave it up to him to tell me he is hungry, he is trying out lots of fruits and veggies, along with his pellets. He went from 91-92grams, ( his chest bones was quite pronounced) and now he is 96/97 grams. The vet called me to check up on him, and said he should range anywhere from 97-100 grams just have to make sure he doesn't get too fat, and not too thin.. we are still to find that balance!

I have taught him to poop on demand now, he is amazing at his step up, and we are working on our 'high five'.. here are some pics of him.. varies over the last few weeks... you can kinda tell the blurry head one that he is grown!

View attachment 16624

View attachment 16625

View attachment 16626

Hi don't get too hung up re his weight because once he is totally active and all grown up his weight will regulate, especially if he likes to play and fly (question wing clip), encourage playing activities to get him used to toys and so that he isn't looking for the entertainment to come in on legs! :)

PS he's sweet.

OP
S

Shanti10

Jan 17, 2013
Hi! Yes he has loto of toys... he came with his wings clipped... I generally let my birds be flighted.. but they have to grow back now! He get lots of out of cage time.. to play on top and has a window to see outside. He is happy!

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Foods with beta carotene coat and heal the respiratory tract, so red peppers, carrots, carrot juice - all good stuff for general health and may stop the sneezing too.

He is so cute! Glad he's under good care with you and the vet.

Most Reactions