Dec 17, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Parrots
Kona & Ino: Green Cheeked Conures--

Petey: Yellow Female Parakeet--

Chicken: Blue Male Parakeet--

Pickle: Male Yellow Indian Ringneck--

Girlie: Orange Winged Amazon
I have a new cage cover from PreVue. It needs cleaned and is said to be machine washable. Are there any precautions I should take? I'm assuming to air dry it, but maybe just have the washer clean it but without detergent, if that makes sense.

Also, when I get them out of their cage in the morning, one of them (I can hardly tell them apart so it could be either one at diff times) will take a collosal poop. It's like they're holdongnitnall night. Anyone elses GCC do this?

Thanks. ;)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Washing question first: I looked and they do indeed say Machine Washable. IMO follow the label/tab instructions, over here it would be 30 or 40 deg C. Go light on the washing powder/tablets/blobs or liquid that you use. Black will fade if you use a powder for whites as they contain bleaching agents usually (to keep the whites, white! LOL) Line dry prob best.

Big poo question: I have heard of some species that do not poop during the night as it would give their location away to predators and thus would dump a load in the morning.

Has this behaviour changed.

Last edited:

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure called JellyBean
JellyBean NEVER poops in his sleep cage... When I take him out in the morning.. I bring him to his usual spot and say "go poop" - Which he does... so cute! And, yes it is a big one!!! I don't think this is a problem unless I left him in his sleep cage... which I don't :)

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Taking a 'giant dump' early in the morning is totally normal. Many parrots don't poop during the night. Skittles takes a giant 'smelly' dump in the morning and then the rest of the day they are normal and odor free. It's totally normal.

As for washing. You have two 'safe' options. One, hand wash it in the sink in hot water with Dawn and thoroughly rinse it and air dry. Or, use a 'baby safe' laundry detergent and machine wash it. Do NOT use fabric softener.

OP
J

JosephN79

Dec 17, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Parrots
Kona & Ino: Green Cheeked Conures--

Petey: Yellow Female Parakeet--

Chicken: Blue Male Parakeet--

Pickle: Male Yellow Indian Ringneck--

Girlie: Orange Winged Amazon
Thanks for the replies!

The poop makes more sense now. It's neat how they still have instincts like that, even after a life in captivity. I'll just hold them over the trash when I take them out. It's still a massive, impressive poop! Lol. Theyre usually in their cage from 10pm to either 7am, or sometimes a few hours longer as I work third shift and either sleep right when I get home, or let them out when I get home and sleep later. I try to have them out and interact as much as possible.

The cage cover was more geared towards the birds safety. I've heard fab softeners are deadly, and some detergents are too strong. I'll get the baby safe kind. Another concern with tumble drying is it might stir up some loose strands, so I'll make sure to cut them off.

I have a tent for them I check daily. It's not a "Happy Hut," but very similar. I check that for loose strands daily. I've had 4 so far and they're cheap enough that I just discard the old one and get a new one.

Thanks again!

Joseph, Kona and Ino

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
My 2 Poicephalus do the giant morning poo. My Pionus doesn't, he poops all through the night, Same with the budgies. I've kept other species in the past as well but I don't recall what they did. Interesting how some do and some don't.

WillyTop

Apr 3, 2016
Montgomery County, PA
Parrots
Willy is a GCC with a yellow-sided mutation and red belly mutation. We have not had a blood test, so until he tries to lay an egg, we're assuming he's a male!
Big morning poop here too! We call his routine the "Willy Back Step", as he always takes a few quick steps backwards before finding the right spot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts