African grey plucked (?) feather

threat2society

Jan 10, 2023
Lithuania
Parrots
my CAG bruknė !! ( Lingonberry in english LOL )
my 8 month old CAG is going through her first molt and she's having a lot of feathers falling out. I collect them and put them in a little album i have, for memories. Yesterday i found these two at the bottom of her cage. They kind of look chewed off, compared to the others. Did she pluck them?
IMG_20231107_173606.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231107_173549.jpg
    IMG_20231107_173549.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 8

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'm no expert, but they don't look plucked to me, but rather, chewed. Not at all uncommon for them to chew on them after they've fallen out. Various reasons for it, something to do, use it as a tool to scratch themselves with... I think I recall something about some nutritional aspect of the feather shaft, but that might be wishful thinking. I wouldn't worry about old ones found at the bottom of the cage in this case. If you're seeing barbered feathers or chewed off shafts ON her, that's something different.

OP
threat2society

threat2society

Jan 10, 2023
Lithuania
Parrots
my CAG bruknė !! ( Lingonberry in english LOL )
I'm no expert, but they don't look plucked to me, but rather, chewed. Not at all uncommon for them to chew on them after they've fallen out.
yeah, she tends to chew on the little ones that fall from her head so you're probably right:) speaking of barbered feathers, check out my other post. i have no idea why her feathers look like that

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
A barbared feather has a very distinctive look.
the end that is normally rounded is in the shape of a V instead.

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
just a possable idea but it might have been a overpreened feather. Andy is VERY PICKY on how her chest feathers stand.

Most Reactions

Latest posts