I need moral support.

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
Our Rocky has bitten my husband like that, very badly, several times. My husband stopped handling him, though he continued to talk to him and pet his head. He just won't pick him up on his arm. Then we came up with a solution that might work for you. Make a T-stand (or buy one if you're not handy). Rocky was suspicious at first but soon figured out that willingly stepping up on the stand means he gets twice the attention. Hubby carries him around the house, and set up places to insert the handle of the T-stand on the porch and in various rooms so Rocky can be wherever we are without having to sit on us. He can be part of everything. I can still handle Rocky, but he does occasionally chomp me, too. It's just that he's careful not to break the skin when he bites me and with his daddy, he went for blood. The T-stand made all the difference and now he and his daddy are buddies again. You could try handling yours with a T-stand, and teaching others in your household to do so, in order to keep from getting bitten without having to leave your 'too in the cage all the time.

Most Reactions