I noticed a strange little dance Tiki is doing..........

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
as of late. For in the last couple of days ever since I picked Tiki up from my Nephews after my trip that she is doing this strange dance. This is what she has been doing:

She will climb up my arm and once she gets to my forearm, she crouches down, slightly spreads her wings from the sides of her body and starts prancing back and forth coooooooing. She will climb off my arm and onto my chest and try and get as close to my face as possible cooing the whole time.

I think she might be trying to invent some kind of new herky jerky dance or it could be a mating thing, but she is only 14 months old. I thought Sennies don't get sexual until they hit like 3-4 years old.

Anyone have any ideas. She only does this with me, not my wife.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Some do say sexual maturity at 1-2 years old. If you can post a video of it would be helpful!!!

ellsiebird

Mar 19, 2011
Parrots
"Ellsie" Female, 2 years old, Senegal
you have an admirer!
Elssie does the same thing, she has the hots for you by the sound of it,
does it resemble anything like this..
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlbgDxP0bXo]YouTube - Male Senegal Parrot's "Skirt Dance"[/ame]

Ellsies is a bit diffrent from this but is the general idea like this, rather than coo she makes a jibber, that sounds like a little monkey!
but she will also try and do this and wasnts to be near my face?!!!

Ellsie does this when she gets over excited, so maybe you parrot missed you and got all flusterd!!

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
hahahahahahaha, yep, that it's it. But Tiki makes more of a cooing sound. I've tried to get a video of it, but as soon as I grab the camera, she quits.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Merlin's started doing this about 2 weeks ago with my other half, and our housemate. No lovin' for mummy but he does that dance and makes these puppy whining noises too. The noises and fussing is just so cute, we hate to have to get him to stop, but we just put him down and ignore him.

Maybe he needs a girlfriend. ^^

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Your bird has better manners than mine. Puck doesn't bother doing a dance before he tries to mate. :eek:

Towee

Mar 11, 2012
NY
Parrots
African Grey
Senegal
WB Caique
Lovebird
It is definately a mating dance. Some older groups I was on called it the skirt dance because how they hold their wings down and spin around. Your baby is growing up and is hoping you'll be his mate. Females do this too. This time of year must be their normal mating season. My Senegal, Sem, drives me crazy this time of year. She turned 20 yrs old in Feb. Every spring she starts her dancing. She will also be very screamy this time of year too. She is normally a loud bird but this time of year it's much worse.
Leah

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
It is definately a mating dance. Some older groups I was on called it the skirt dance because how they hold their wings down and spin around. Your baby is growing up and is hoping you'll be his mate. Females do this too. This time of year must be their normal mating season. My Senegal, Sem, drives me crazy this time of year. She turned 20 yrs old in Feb. Every spring she starts her dancing. She will also be very screamy this time of year too. She is normally a loud bird but this time of year it's much worse.
Leah

Merlin has recently been blessing our ears with his god awful screeches too, particularly during the middle of the day. Suppose it's just a spring-mating thing. He does it for a while then just plays around.

He really loves my partner, it is just so cute the noises he makes and how he wants to be with him and so hard to 'tell him off' (by ignoring) for it because of how adorable it seems!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Sounds a lot like the hormonal stuff Merlin is doing to me! She decided yesterday it's no longer good enough to be cuddled against my chest; now it must be my face. I hope she never bites me or I may be missing part of my lip or nose!

Most Reactions