I really need help, respitory infection???

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Okay rn, my bird do not sneeze so much but i hear like its a sneeze but it sounds wet? Does that mean that the bacteria starts do ”dissolve ”?
Bacteria don't dissolve. It takes a while for antibiotics to work. They only work against bacterial infections. If she has a viral infection antibiotics won't help. I don't know if respiratory infections in birds are viral or bacterial. If she doesn't get better take her back to the vet. I hope she gets well soon.

WEN229

Oct 12, 2022
Parrots
Cherryhead conure
Bacteria don't dissolve. It takes a while for antibiotics to work. They only work against bacterial infections. If she has a viral infection antibiotics won't help. I don't know if respiratory infections in birds are viral or bacterial. If she doesn't get better take her back to the vet. I hope she gets well soon.
What did the vet say?? I just saw your post today

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Hello everyone! A quick Uptdate!
It seems that my bird is better, the sneezing has calmed down, no open mouth breathing, more active alert, eats normal, and reduced laborued breathing, the vet told us that it could be klamydia, so she have gotten antibiotics , i am just so happy that the medecation works! But what made me so unsure and worried was that the vet could not say what the cuase was, it would have been dangerous for her to get a ct scan becuse she had it too hard to breathe, but now it is so much better!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It seems that my bird is better, the sneezing has calmed down, no open mouth breathing, more active alert, eats normal, and reduced laborued breathing, the vet told us that it could be klamydia, so she have gotten antibiotics , i am just so happy that the medecation works! But what made me so unsure and worried was that the vet could not say what the cuase was, it would have been dangerous for her to get a ct scan becuse she had it too hard to breathe, but now it is so much better!!
It's difficult to determine the exact cause of a bird's respiratory problem. Vets make educated guesses based on their experience and prescribe treatment that usually helps and if you're lucky it works for your bird. It soundslike the treatment was successful. Make sure you finish the medication so the infection doesn't come back.

WEN229

Oct 12, 2022
Parrots
Cherryhead conure
So glad to hear good news!!! 👍 ❤️

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Does anybody know if you should give your bird antibiotics in a week or 10 days?

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
You must give antibiotics for the length of time the vet tells you to. Call the vet if you don't recall what they said.
Okay, i Called them today but they said i have to call them agin in a couple of hours becuase the vet is busy with other clients rn!

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Yesterday i called them agin, and one week more of antibiotics would be neccesary! So i hage to go to the pharmacy and get new meds! So my little update on Louise is going good, rn she is very sleepy becuase the antibiotics does a big toll on her body, but she just needs to rest and hopefully will be better in a week!

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
I have good news today, louise starts to stand on one leg!! She have not done this in a while and that makes me so happy becuase i hope that means she is getting better!!😭❤️

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Does antibiotics make you more lethargic? My bird seems just tired and sleeps most of the time, but as i said the symptoms is better, but is it normal to become tired while taking antibiotics, the meds are Ronaxan.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Does antibiotics make you more lethargic? My bird seems just tired and sleeps most of the time, but as i said the symptoms is better, but is it normal to become tired while taking antibiotics, the meds are Ronaxan.
I don't think so. Antibiotics don't generally have drowsiness as a side effect in people so I doubt they do in birds but if you're concerned call and ask the vet.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
I don't think so. Antibiotics don't generally have drowsiness as a side effect in people so I doubt they do in birds but if you're concerned call and ask the vet.
Okay! Tomorrow is her last dose of antibiotics, but what bothets me is that some medecins are mixed with water, so i have to take a pill and and mix it with water but i hope she feels a little bit up when the antibotics is over

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
She also could be tired from the extra stress of vet visits. I hope she feels better soon! Yay for last dose of antibiotics tomorrow!

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
yes! Its was a little difficuly to give her leds today, she barely got any becuase she bit in the tiden and got it on there, tomorrow is her last dose, but im just worried that the infection gonna come back?

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
yes! Its was a little difficuly to give her leds today, she barely got any becuase she bit in the tiden and got it on there, tomorrow is her last dose, but im just worried that the infection gonna come back?
She bit in the towel

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
My autocorrekt sucks! But is it okay if the dose this time did not go well? Like one day?

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Okay! I did her last dose now! I am just wondering the recovery after antibiotics? In birds if they still feel tierd, and need more rest? Probiotic foods?

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
After a respitory infection, can it be like leftover muccus that is still in her nares? She sneezed now and something like disharge is in there? Is it normal after respitory infection?

Most Reactions

Latest posts