I really need help with my Amazon

Odette

Nov 12, 2010
Romania
Parrots
Coco - Amazon
Olly - cockatiel
Hello there!
I'll get right to my story, hoping that some of you could help me with some pieces of advice, as I find most of you more experienced than I am with large birds.
Three weeks ago I took in an Amazon. His story is pretty sad, because, as far as I know, he had at least two previous homes where he used to be left alone, unattended for several days, and the owners didn't care enough to give him food every day. He should be about 5 or 6 years old. I'm not sure whether he is a Blue fronted or a Double Yellow (his feathers could suggest both).
Once arrived in my home, I gave him food and fresh fruits and vegetables, bought two toys, started a vitamin treatment etc. He is pretty quiet and bored. He barely makes some chirping sounds whenever excited, but no words or parrot talk whatsoever. I got him to eat from my hand and began stick training, which went well in the first stage, with 15 min. training sessions. Also, I sit near his cage whenever I have to work on my laptop, just to have him used to my presence.
Now, here's the rub:
He won't accept any new toys. I got him a nice toy ladder for him to play and he stepped out of his cage for the first time when I placed the toy in his cage. I tried with treats, but it won't work. It's like than ladder is the devil himself.
Yesterday he got off his cage for the first time by free will. I encouraged him by talking softly and offering treats and spaghetti. Spaghetti is a trick I used to employ when taming cockatiels and it seems to work with Amazons as well - Coco just chews it happily. At some point during the day, I think he tried to fly and when I got into the room I noticed he couldn't. Coco was on the floor, trying to get to his cage (which is quite tall for him) and could barely lift his body a few inches from the ground. I helped him with a stick and, after giving me the jungle whistles, I managed, I don't know how exactly, to help him climb. He only found his way back into the cage in the evening, when I turned off the light.
Today seems to be angry at me for whatever reason, even though what happened yesterday was entirely up to him (I tried not to scare him more than he already is).
Needless to say I cannot touch him and he wouldn't step up under any circumstances.
I have several major concerns:
1. His muscles seems to have atrophied because he didn't use his wings or his feet at all. I arranged an appointment with a doctor next week. Avian vets do not exist in Galati (I'm from Romania) and I have to get to Bucharest. But whatever the doctor tells me, I still have to make some training with him to tend to these problems and I don't know how. I know that there might be serious medical consequences here.
2. Is it possible that he could not be tamed? I have a lot of patience and am willing to try it until it works, but I don't know what my next step should be. I'm not interested really in having him talk, because this should be entirely his choice. But I would like him to have a good friend, that is me.
3. He seems gloomy. If I don't enter the room, he just sits in the same spot on his perch doing nothing - not playing, not chirping. His behavior is not that of an Amazon except when he gets angry.
Sorry for the long story, but it's necessary for you to understand Coco's problems.
I am looking forward for your opinions.

Alienation

Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Awaiting my baby blue front...
I would suggest trying all types of toys - it may be that he doesn't like certain types. Foraging toys with treats in them would be a good investment. Try playing with the toys yourself to show him how fun they are, or even letting him see your cockatiel play with them.
Take it slow - if he has been neglected or badly treated in the past he will be weary of humans. There are many training guides on the internet you can look at for free, and those you can purchase as well if that will help.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Fred is always scared to death of a new toy. He's actually scared of all new things. I usually put the new things on his playperch,(placed near his cage) and that way he can go slowly to the toy. Sometimes it takes a few days. A playstand near the cage may be a good idea for Coco. I will give him an apportunity to move around more, and still not leave his safe spot.
Coco sounds scared to me, and you're moving slowly with him, so that is good. Continue doing what you're doing...
Keep us posted on what the vet says. His flight muscles may have atrophied if he's never been given the opportunity to move around much. Poor guy! I'm glad he's found you!

OP
O

Odette

Nov 12, 2010
Romania
Parrots
Coco - Amazon
Olly - cockatiel
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will arrange toys with treats. The idea with the playperch is also great. I will have it placed, in the beginning, near the door, so he could access it easily. I also bought a long ladder for him to get down and up without having to fly.
I'll keep posted you with his progresses. He hasn't left the cage since Saturday, but he seems not to blame anymore for his failure in flying. Not holding a grudge is also pretty great, because I know Amazons are intricate creatures and you never exactly know how you might ruin everything.
Hear you soon!!!

manny32

Sep 22, 2010
It sounds very similar to my story with my orange winged amazon parrot. She was at a pet store for over 7 months closed in a cage that was suitable for a budgie, with only one perch and water and food bowl. After we rescued her, we provided her with a big cage, suitable for a macaw and filled it with toys and perches. In the begining she did exactly what your amazon is doing, she didnt want to have anything to do with toys or with us. I think that your amazon still has not associated you as being her new boss/owner/friend. We have had our amazon for 3 months now and just recently started building our relationship. She is becoming very curious, so new toys are interesting to her now, she wants to get her hands on anything she sees. She allows us to give her kisses, scratch her head, and just recently scratch her stomach, but still does not allow us to have her step up on our hands. In other words all im trying to say is, patience. Keep doing what you are doing, and slowly but surely she/he will start to accept you and things that you do for her/him. All i can say is dont give up, and most importantly...when you see that she/he doesnt want to do something, dont force it!! If you approach her and she backs away, take a step back for about 20 seconds, and then try to approach her again. This is showing that you do not pose a threat. Good luck and i hope that some of the stuff i shared will help you.

OP
O

Odette

Nov 12, 2010
Romania
Parrots
Coco - Amazon
Olly - cockatiel
Thank you, Manny! Your story really gives me hope. It's been a month now since Coco is with me and my victories are small, but worthwhile. He/she now seems pretty happy to have me around and chirps a lot, especially when I bring the fruit and vegetable bowl in the morning - Coco is curious what I put in it. He/she is still holding onto the no touching policy, but I haven't really tried yet to handle him/her. It would be too much in this phase. At least that's how I feel. I'll come back soon with an update, hopefully a very successful one.

Most Reactions

Latest posts