I think I found our dream home (really cool!)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We have been looking into some improvements we can do to our new place to improve energy efficiency (I will post up my first phase of modifications soon;)) and take advantage of the huge skylights and eco potential of this place. In our research, Joe happened across a fascinating documentary about a home building style called "earthships". I've always loved eco-designed homes, as I grew up in one. I am absolutely amazed and in love with the ingenuity and beauty of these homes!

My parents house is passive solar and was designed by a botanist, so it's full of plants, a couple full grown trees and abundant natural light (actually, it's really awesome for their birds, one of the big reasons they bought it). They rarely need heat besides what's free from the sun in the winter and it stays pretty comfortable in summer too. However, it overall looks like a normal house, none of the beautiful glass bottle walls or natural shapes the up cycled materials used in these homes have. These are like my parents house on steroids. Just thought I'd share since these are so amazing!

The documentary, if you have some spare time ;)[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efI77fzBgvg"]Earthships: self-sustaining homes for a post-apocalyptic US? - YouTube[/ame]

This website has a lot of information, but look at these interiors. Fabulous!
Earthship | Images - Category: Interiors

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Wow! Haven't finished watching the documentary just yet, but what I've seen so far is very interesting. Such clever engineering! And some of the interior pics from that link look rather impressive! Thanks for sharing, April!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Wow! Haven't finished watching the documentary just yet, but what I've seen so far is very interesting. Such clever engineering! And some of the interior pics from that link look rather impressive! Thanks for sharing, April!

I didn't realizes that my life was so demanding. Still haven't finished the documentary, but enjoying it.

Going to be difficult to incorporate, but you are just so creative!

Most Reactions