I want a cuddly bird !

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure~ Baby/Blue Front Amazon~ Cookie/Timneh African Grey~ Dezi/Normal Green Cheek Conure~Petri
I am looking for a bird that is really friendly and cuddly, it doesn't need to be with the whole family just me so one person birds are ok, I am looking for a price of around 700 or below not including cage and supplies just the bird. I want a bird that generally has no major problems such as screaming, feather plucking, etc. I'm looking for a med. to large bird not a small one. Any suggestions ?

Thanks, Gage

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
May I suggest Poicephalus parrots? They certainly CAN fit what you say you are looking for.

OP
Williamsong

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure~ Baby/Blue Front Amazon~ Cookie/Timneh African Grey~ Dezi/Normal Green Cheek Conure~Petri
Really !? I never heard of piocephalus parrots being cuddly and stuff, any certain type of piocephalus that may be a bit more cuddly/friendly than other types ?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Really !? I never heard of piocephalus parrots being cuddly and stuff, any certain type of piocephalus that may be a bit more cuddly/friendly than other types ?

Not all Poi's are cuddly, but my two as well as many others are :). If they're handfed and raised from a young age to accept handling all over and cuddling, they are a species that is inclined to being very hands on. Of course some more or less than others. They are really the only genus of parrots who can be both cuddly AND happy being super independent too if they need to be. Usually cuddly species are a little more high maintenance, and independent species don't like hands too much, but a tame and well socialized Poicephalus parrot certainly can be the best of BOTH worlds there. :)

I can't say one Poicephalus species is more of what you're looking for than another, as they're of course all inviduals. One which I hear many good things about (barring individual differences) are the Brown Headed parrots. Looks like a Senegal without the yellow/orange, and are said to be generally speaking a little more on the gentle side. Poi's are worth looking into.

Last edited:

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Not sure on what you consider as a small bird, but from what I've read, you can't go wrong with Green Cheeks!

EdwardH

Dec 23, 2012
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus
cockatiel
red rump
If you are after a medium to large bird which is cuddly then you are looking at any of the cockatoos, sulphur crested etc. A medium sized bird is the galah (I think that these are called rose breasted cockatoos in the USA). These are very animated, talk well and are very cuddly. You could also go for a rainbow lorikeet.
Just a heads up, problems like screeching, feather plucking etc. are caused by owners not meeting a birds emotional and mental stimulation requirements. If you are not able to spend at least 2-3 hours per day with the bird or at the very least allowing the bird "out of cage time" on a play stand, flying around the house, having a shower with you etc. then reconsider the type of bird you purchase. A bird that doesn't require close interaction but is content to just hang out may be a better option in this instance.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
You just described my green cheek conure! :) I know i wanted a medium to large-ish bird as well, but now that i have my Pumpkin i think he is the perfect size! Bigger size means bigger mess and bigger cage and bigger expenses and sometimes a bigger louder voice. :) Just something to consider.

He is very affectionate and cuddly. The ONLY thing he wants is to sit on my shoulder and preen my hair.

From all the research i did, i dont think GCC usually develop behavior problems such as screaming or plucking. Pumpkin is pretty quiet unless he hears the microwave (which means breakfast) then he screams for about 15 seconds and it is kind of loud.

My cheek cost me $200 from a breeder(they are $400 birds at petco) and the huge cage i have for him was $300 from petco. I have spent about $200 on perches and toys. I spent about $150 on food (will last at least 2 months)

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am looking for a bird that is really friendly and cuddly, it doesn't need to be with the whole family just me so one person birds are ok, I am looking for a price of around 700 or below not including cage and supplies just the bird. I want a bird that generally has no major problems such as screaming, feather plucking, etc. I'm looking for a med. to large bird not a small one. Any suggestions ?

Thanks, Gage

I'm sorry to be 'interjecting' here, but IMHO it's never a good idea wanting to have a 'one person' bird. Birds are highly social creatures and SOCIALIZATION is extremely important.

Additionally, each bird is an individual. ALL can be noise, some more than others. ALL 'could' end up plucking, depending on many different factors and circumstances.

Julie (RavensGryf) and Karen (TheKarens) have extensive knowledge and experience with Pois, so see, they can be QUITE cuddly.

My Hunter (YN Amazon) is a super cuddly bird (with every single family member).

Please, do extensive research, go visit with as many birds as you can, but always remember whichever parrot you ultimately choose, he/she will become what you make of him/her. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm sorry to be 'interjecting' here, but IMHO it's never a good idea wanting to have a 'one person' bird. Birds are highly social creatures and SOCIALIZATION is extremely important.

Additionally, each bird is an individual. ALL can be noise, some more than others. ALL 'could' end up plucking, depending on many different factors and circumstances.

but always remember whichever parrot you ultimately choose, he/she will become what you make of him/her. :)

Exactly!

One of the worst biters we ever had down at the rescue went to me to keep her from being put down. That same bird now curls up on my shoulder and uses my cheek for a pillow. (It only took five hours a day for four months to completely rehab and retrain her!)

They don't always come that way! They become that when they bond with you, and when you reinforce the good behaviors, and modify the bad ones.

NO BIRD will allow anyone to handle it, if left to their own devices. We are predators. They are prey! They have to know 110% that they can trust you before they show that side to you...

It isn't an instant thing.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
If you're looking for cuddly, time to wave the galah flag...

temporary-5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
I keep seeing threads from you asking about all different species of birds and you seem to want one that is cuddly and nice. There is nothing wrong with wanting multiple birds of course, but this makes me wonder; is your green cheek not already cuddly? Maybe we need to work on your current birds behavior before getting a second bird? My green cheek is VERY cuddly. What problems are you having with yours? Im sure the people on this forum would be more than willing to help you learn how to reform your baby into a loving companion. :)

miloslave

May 17, 2010
South Africa - Cape Town
Parrots
Mustache Parakeet - Milo
CAG - Charlie
I have to agree with Ann333. Fact is that you already have a bird who needs your attention, needs you to understand what it takes for you to bond with it and need you to help it understand how to behave in your home. Adding another bird is not going to do the little one any favours.

Most of the members here have been advising you to wait, get more experience through working at a rescue, see in what direction life takes you in only 4 years from now.

I can understand that it not always easy to wait when you want something, but if you want to believe that you are ready to take on the responsibility of a second bird, you should also be responsible enough to realise that conditions might not be perfect for this endevour yet.

The most important thing right now is to do research, not on what new bird to get, but on how to build a bond between you and the baby that you do have. Only once you are able to do that for your existing bird can you possibly hope to do it for a second.

I hope thay makes sense because your little one needs you to give it the love and cuddles so that it can return the favour once it knows that it can trust you to do what is best for him first.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
And I have to agree with miloslave agreeing with Ann333. I have a wounderous Gcc, have only had her 3 plus weeks and she is so very cuddly. And I would never want her to be a one person bird! I want everyone to feel JoJo is the sweetest, nicest companion!

Most Reactions