I want a second macaw

Kevinlunde

Oct 20, 2012
Hi all!

We have a 7month blue and gold macaw and things are going so well that we want to get him a buddy.

Right now we are thinking about a scarlet or a greenwing, but we dont know what to choose.

What do you reccomend, and why?

By the way, here is a link to a clip with me playing with Blu;)

[ame="http://youtu.be/5qgTEhD-h8w"]Wrestling with Blu - YouTube[/ame]

.Kevin

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
There are always threads available for which companion bird is best but have you considered what it might do to your own relationship with your current bird? They may bond with each other and dramatically change the way they interact with you. I have decided NOT to get a second bird due to these reasons.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I think you should wait because this bundle of joy is going to change as it matures. Everybody has the idea babies will always be sweet and cuddly forever and quiet. Macaws are not like a cat and dog who will follow your commands. They will do whatever they want when they want. Enjoy what you have now for a few years because you may change your mind about the one you already have. Many people do. Once a bird reaches sexual maturity, you may have regrets having two.

I have a Blue and Gold macaw who I love very much, but I cannot envision having two. You may be able handle it if you have the patience, space, and the finances.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I advise against getting a bird "for your macaw". I do not believe one should ever get a second bird to keep your first bird. They could hate each other or if the bond have nothing to do with you. I never had a macaw and while all birds require dedication and care the bigger the bird the harder they can be to handle or have other issues come up. Yes, there are people with different smaller bird species and even people with more then one macaw. I had both a green cheek conure and cockatiel as a child but they never interacted. Right now I have a green cheek conure and I turned down buying a male green cheek conure that a local family was selling they offered to sell to me (and it's cage, etc ). Maybe, it would be best to wait and see if you want another macaw after this one has reached sexual maturity. I am working on adding a mini macaw and to be honest I am always weighing things in my mind because I want to have enough space and be able to care for this bird even if it is not as large as the larger macaws.

chasroth

Mar 29, 2013
Greensburg PA
Parrots
GW Toby
I would suggest getting a second macaw if you want a second macaw. It would be nice for your other bird to have another bird to talk to when your not around you wouldn't want them to have to much time together out because they could bond. I do think raising them young together is better because once that bird matures and its the only bird it may not welcome another bird in the house and you can have all kinds of problem. And to your question I am partial to green wings. I have one myself.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you want a second macaw ok but not for your first macaw, id also like to say thank you merlee you hit it on the head with sexual maturity. This stage is horrible in macaws my greenwing thinks he is invicible and will really put a hurting on you quick since he hit it, i have calmed him down slightly but nothing like he needs to be, eventually he will be his old self, but the fact that we have multiple macaws doesnt make it easier sometimes and i know that but that cant change.

so id find it ok to get another macaw just not truely for the other bird, the bird must be for you. You could lose the bond you have with one of both of them if you let them bond toghether.

as for my macaw recommendations: blue throated macaw if you can find one or greenwing.

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Hi Kevin, Gee I don't know for sure, but was I the only one who watched your video? No one made mention of it, but none the less I thought it was super cute! Blu is gorgeous & was certainly having lots of fun wrestling with you. I love the look he gave you when he turned right side up as if to say, "Is that all you got left in ya'?" :p

As for another macaw, I myself have 3. I brought my two Catalina brothers home together & kept them together for the first 3 months. Then Roscoe the younger one began to pick on Angel, my handicapped boy. So they have separate enclosures & separate play perches now. My green Wing girl will be home next Mon. and she will have her own enclosure & perches. I don't want any of mine to bond to each other or think of themselves as a breeding pair, so they will always remain in separate enclosures.

If you want to add another macaw to your flock and you have the room for another one, I personally do not see why you shouldn't do so. I have always wanted a Green Wing & my Ruby Jewel is my dream bird I finally will have in my flock! So I say go for it!!:D:red1:

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
I agree. For those saying the birds will bond to each other or potentially hate each other: just keep them separated, but close by. If their cages are somewhat close together they can at least keep each other entertained through communication, but won't form a true bond without a lot of contact.

I also agree though, make sure the bird is for you not for your other bird. Two birds equates to nearly twice the work.

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
I agree with much of whats been said here, but will reiterate - the second Macaw should be for you. There is nothing wrong with getting that second Macaw if that is what you want and can provide it a great home. The Macaws may even tolerate (possibly enjoy) each other's company, but this parrot must be for you and not simply a 'buddy' for your current Macaw. Otherwise it is possible that you could be severely disappointed.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Love the video :D

I think it's up to you :) Just don't get another macaw for your current macaw, get another because you want another.

OP
Kevinlunde

Kevinlunde

Oct 20, 2012
Thank you for all your replies=)
We have not decided to get a second macaw yet, and I think we still need to think a little bit. The main reason for getting another bird is of course because we love macaws, and would really love one more. We have turned into the crazy little bird family the last year=)

Thanks again for all your comments. Even though I only asked wich kind to choose, you guys also answered a few questions I haven`t thought about.

When it comes to questions about space, finance and so, that is not an issue. I can afford a second bird, and we have enough space for it.

@Jtbirds: you reccomend a bluethroat macaw. I would really like one, but they are hard to get here in Norway. As far as i know we only have one pair(!!!) in the entire country. If you think hyacinths are expensive, try coming here and buy a bluethroat=)

.Kevin

reptileguy

Apr 23, 2013
NC
Parrots
There not mine but they feel like family after working with them daily.
-bunch of love birds
i have no advice on getting a 2nd one, but i wanted to say that i love that video!

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Haha I had no idea you were in Norway, I absolutely love my blue throat. How much are they in Norway I mean hyacinths are Abu $15000 here so idk how much blue throated are here but I kinda doubt more then that:p.

Then my next suggestion is a greenwing or military!

OP
Kevinlunde

Kevinlunde

Oct 20, 2012
Reptileguy: tanks:)

Jtbirds: now you know;) if you are lucky enough to find a hyacinth for sale in Norway, it would probably cost around 20 to 30.000$. I dont know how many we have, but it is not many. Like I said, as far as I know, there is only 2 bluethroats in Norway. I dont think there is a price on them;)

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Sometimes when you ask questions, you get more than you asked for. lol.

I would like to explain my post. I didn't know what your background was regarding birds and many people start with a baby bird thinking this is very easy. It is in the beginning and I didn't want you to have two mature birds in the future that would drive you crazy for one reason or another. Many people feel overwhelmed over time and are not truly prepared for the future of a bird as it matured which explains why many birds are rehomed or have behavior issues. I learned the hard way through experience and just within the past year or so truly understood the "whys" of bird behavior by joining various forums and reading books.

If you don't mind the loud noise, mess and constant challenges of one macaw's behavior, then two may be in your future.

Enjoy your baby!

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Haha I had no idea you were in Norway, I absolutely love my blue throat. How much are they in Norway I mean hyacinths are Abu $15000 here so idk how much blue throated are here but I kinda doubt more then that:p.

Then my next suggestion is a greenwing or military!

JT- Have you owned a military or just worked with one? I know you said you really enjoyed one you had worked with.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I do not own a military but ive worked with probably 20 of them now...:p I have done behavioral work with aout 800-1000 parrot kinds. I did really enjoy that certain one i explained his name was beanie and he was a youngster that was raised wrong and once i fixed that he was soooo cool.

I do own a hybrid between a blue and gold and a buffons macaw so i got half a millitary in my house:p.

dang i didnt know blue throats were so scare there! sorry about that norway is missing out on an amazing macaw:(... hopefully they can get some more going over there i always love to hear of more blue throats id hate to see this species fall to extinction or any for that matter.

OP
Kevinlunde

Kevinlunde

Oct 20, 2012
Hi all=)

So, after some time, we got a second macaw.
Everything happened kinda fast, but in may, we got Billy, a blue/gold macaw (3,5yrs).
Things are going well, but we had a couple of weeks, where we really had to work to get both birds to behave.
Now, 3,5 months later the situation is good, and both birds seems really happy.

There is only one question I have know, and that involves screaming.
Blu, our first macaw has learned to not scream for attention ans such, and we think Billy is learning. (slow, but he is getting there=)

BUT, Billy also has a habit of screaming for no reason, no matter what we do, and i really dont know how to get rid of that habbit.

He can stand on my arm, do tricks, be happy and cuddly, and for no reason scream really high. Also when flying he screams both on takeoff and landing.
When we play on the floor, he can stand next to me, play with a ball, then he can all of sudden release the ball, come over to me, scream like maniac, give me a cuddle, then go back to the ball...

So, to me it seems like he don`t have any reason for screaming, but he still do it.
Does anyone have an idea why he does this?

.Kevin

Seagulls

Jul 29, 2013
Parrots
Leon - Blue-Fronted Amazon | Damian - Goffin's Cockatoo
He was probably "taught" to scream. Most people scream back at macaws for some reason. Usually saying "shut up!"

Or he could be screaming because he's happy/overloaded. Definitely happy/overloaded when he does it on takeoff and landing. Kinda like how a cat suddenly attacks your arm for seemingly no reason. Except screaming.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I agree with Seagulls. Sounds like he's in complete happy mode when he's flying, and letting everyone know about it. :)

As for the sudden outbursts while playing, it could be a combination of happy + stimuli overload. My GW is still doing this more than I'd like him to, but hey, I'd rather hear happy screams than screaming for attention or out of boredom. ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts