I want to take her to the Market... he says No.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Grr. We're heading to the market in a bit (Pike's Place for those wondering :D ) and I am thinking of taking Sugar with us. I have this beautiful, expensive Pak-O-Bird to carry her around in safely. I want to broaden her environment by taking her with me as much as possible, whenever possible so that when we move, she's not totally freaking out.

Hubs says it's a bad idea and that I'm crazy.

Dare I ask... what do you guys think? Hey, I can admit when I don't know something or when I'm wrong, despite what some may think :rolleyes:

Edited to add: It's a weekday, so Pike's Place is nowhere near as crazy as it would be on a weekend. Lots of room to maneuver.

Last edited:

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
We try to avoid bad noises and busy traffic. Our birds feel secure enough on their PortaPerches to stay put. They go with us on trips trips to Petco, to outdoor cafes, etc.

If Sugar can see out to where she's going, etc., it should help.

YeloCrowd1252.jpg

Old Faithful Visitor Center

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
I honestly don't see why it would be a problem, but I don't have a bird yet, so no experience. I plan on taking mine (as long as he's okay with it) everywhere I can. Farmers Market, Petco, park, stores, etc. Especially if she's in your Pak-O-Bird (right?) I don't see why there should be any trouble.

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
So jealous, I love Pikes Place! Have a good time whatever you decide:)

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
I think next time I go (next week likely) I'll take her. We had something come up, so not going today after all :/

Evesta - I only enjoy it during off-peak times ;) I get the majority of my meat and vegetables from there. A weeks worth of fresh fruit and veggies for under $30? Awesome! Grass fed, hormone free meat at below supermarket prices? Oooh yeah!! Plus the flowers!

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
The flowers, I think that is what I loved most about Seattle:) Gorgeous stuff you just can't grow in our prarie environment. I was oooing and awwing over all the trees and plants.

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
It's definitely something I'll miss about Seattle once we leave.

PortaPerch - it's definitely noisy and high traffic as its a big tourist trap and in Downtown Seattle. We also try and take the bus whenever possible. I'm not sure how Sugar would handle the bus, but I think she'd handle the market just fine in the Pak-O-Bird. The carrier does indeed allow her to see out; it's easier for her to see out than it is to see in.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Same problem with my hubby. We go to the market every weekend for about 1-3 hours. Hubby is against it, but I believe the socialization helps. We don't use a carrier or harness, etc. We trust her. Its fun and the reactions are hilarious- many are just shocked, some are a little scares if she lets out a screech and then sometimes we get an insight of all the bird lovers. I have had many who thought she was a robot or stuffed animal...Very weird. I've had my picture taken with her by a local photographer, she gets picked up and pet by kids and toddlers and adults. Its an amazing experience for her and others. I always say that she is friendly but ANY bird CAN bite. Therefore to be safe, I pet her on her throat an d cheeks, so I have access to her beak in case she should want to defend herself for some reason, but have not had an incident.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
I reccomend it and if you arent a huge risk taker the carrier is a great idea but I believe the socailization helps her be friendly and all the constant moving, change of scenes and noises helps her settle with anything later in life- like having to stop everything and go to the vet or an errand, moving houses, riding in the car, turning on the vacuum, etc. The different experience and people and reactions and noises and smells make it interesting and learning experience for my bird and now almost nothing startles her and she is super friendly. My hubby disagrees mainly because of all the buzz it causes and sometimes she screams.

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
I reccomend it and if you arent a huge risk taker the carrier is a great idea but I believe the socailization helps her be friendly and all the constant moving, change of scenes and noises helps her settle with anything later in life- like having to stop everything and go to the vet or an errand, moving houses, riding in the car, turning on the vacuum, etc. The different experience and people and reactions and noises and smells make it interesting and learning experience for my bird and now almost nothing startles her and she is super friendly. My hubby disagrees mainly because of all the buzz it causes and sometimes she screams.

I agree and will be most likely putting my foot down in regards to this particular issue. I want well socialized birds and since we don't get company often (majority of the people we know here are military, so in and out, moving a lot, etc), the only real way to do that is to take her out and about. My eventual goal (and this is quite advantageous of me since shes a bit phobic & shy) is to have Sugar harnessed when we're out and about so that Loki can be in the carrier and I can take both of them.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Def. talk this out with your hubby and be persistant. Its a great reward. There is a huge difference- almost as big as you can do with training. Good luck and enjoy yourselves. She may be scared at first, but its something new.

GiosMom

May 12, 2012
Im weird about taking the bird to certain places. Same with my dog. Too many nasties in the world. I do the park, playground, Starbucks and pool...(with Charlie my wheaten) don't have my bird yet, but crowds of people everyone touching them...it gets annoying. I was a beast mom when I would take my kids as infants anywhere I hated when people touched them...germs kill! So I'm not super thrilled about the market either....I'm with hubs. Also it's a time to get what you need, be out of the house. If Sugar is still nervous it might cause her to regress...maybe wait a bit so she's not so terrified....how ate you? I still need to call Laura. Been so busy my son graduated high school and family is in from NY.....there isn't enough Wine! And I so wish I had Mare Miller's Amigo ...haahaha! Yep I want an Amigo! Either that or a moat with big giant alligators...!

OP
KatherineI

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Im weird about taking the bird to certain places. Same with my dog. Too many nasties in the world. I do the park, playground, Starbucks and pool...(with Charlie my wheaten) don't have my bird yet, but crowds of people everyone touching them...it gets annoying. I was a beast mom when I would take my kids as infants anywhere I hated when people touched them...germs kill! So I'm not super thrilled about the market either....I'm with hubs. Also it's a time to get what you need, be out of the house. If Sugar is still nervous it might cause her to regress...maybe wait a bit so she's not so terrified....how ate you? I still need to call Laura. Been so busy my son graduated high school and family is in from NY.....there isn't enough Wine! And I so wish I had Mare Miller's Amigo ...haahaha! Yep I want an Amigo! Either that or a moat with big giant alligators...!

Well, inside the Pak-O-Bird, they couldn't touch her for now. I'm gonna start taking her places though when I run errands during the day, like when I go to the grocery store for odds and ends throughout the week, run for coffee, etc.

I'm alright. I haven't heard from Laura in a bit either, I should probably try and get ahold of her. YAY on your son graduating!! My favorite nephew (yes, I admit I'm biased) graduated tonight and I feel awful I can't be there :( And I agree, there's NEVER enough wine ;) I think anyone who is married, most likely would love an Amigo :54:

Most Reactions