I was a tad bit ticked off today after looking at a couple

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
of boarding facilities. These were vets offices. I called both places and inquired if they boarded birds. Both places said yes they did and it would be like $9.00 per day per bird. I thought that isn't bad so I decided to go and check these places out before I planned our trip to St. Thomas VI, which would be for a minimum of 2-4 weeks.

Well, the first place I checked out showed me where our birds would be kept and that was in their exam room, which was very small or I could elect to have them housed with the dogs or cats, ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I told them no thanks, this area would have way too much traffic and if they didn't have a dedicated room to house my birds then forget about it.

OK, I was still holding a little hope and checked out the second place. They showed me a hallway between the exam rooms and said this is where we usually keep birds that they board. Here we go again, ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I again told them if you don't have a dedicated room for my birds then no thanks. I would have preferred when I called these places on the phone they would have just said NO, WE DON'T BOARD BIRDS and been on their way rather than wasting not only my time but gas money as well.

This was after the first fiasco when I found a pet grooming outfit that claimed to board all kind of animals. I set it up with the owner of the pet groomer place to board the birds in my home, she agreed but wanted her husband to do it because he had bird experience. I agreed and set up a meet and greet with our birds. He came over, met the birds and we explained what we expected and he was fine with it even with coming over twice a day to feed and check on them. Well, we found a place to stay in St. Thomas and was getting ready to send the deposit check and book our flights, but decided to make sure there wasn't any issue with the pet groomer guy to watch our birds.

But when we called the pet grooming place, the owner told us, we under bid the job and needed to double the daily fee. I told them don't worry about it, I would look else where. It wasn'r so much the fee increase, but the fact that she waited to tell us this after quoting me a price. So I wouldn't use them for any amount of money.

RANT OVER!

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
How scary! My mom used to board her canary at her vet's office. They kept him at the reception area. :( Most vets make a poor choice of where I'd want to board my birds. I'm sorry but SICK birds come there, and even if the boarding room is away from that, you are at the mercy of everyone that works there doing their job perfectly to avoid exposure (how many of those kids they hire to clean rooms/cages really remove their footwear and wash their hands EACH time they go from one room to the next?).

Even the local avian specialty store in my area spooks me. Last time I was in there, they had all the boarding birds' cages out in the main sales floor, cages plastered with "NOT FOR SALE" but still. . . Apparently they were painting the regular boarding room. Geez.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I have always had my sister stay in my home. I paid her a agreed on price for the time I was gone (different amounts for different lengths of time I would be gone). She was very trustworthy and took care of my animals very well.

She moved in with me and stayed with me for a year and half. Now there is some bad feelings between us and I can no longer trust her to stay in my home without taking my stuff (too long story to get into for this discussion) so I am also in your shoes for finding someone to come in here and care for my pets.

Lupe's relatives are asking when we are going to visit (it has been over 4 years since last visit. We normally go every two years) so now I am in a pickle of who would take care of my pets. I am sure I can farm out the dog and cat but I do not know anyone trustworthy to care for Valentino my RFM. If push comes to shove I could probably travel with him (we drive) and stay in El Paso instead of with her aunt and uncle in Juarez but I am certain that would cause some hurt feelings.

It is a 26 hour drive to El Paso/Juarez. Driving with a RFM for 26 hours will probably suck anyway. OMG. LOL.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Some people ! I am also looking at a boarding facility , it's the vet center I take both of them to. It's bad enough for a bird to be in a unknown place, badder when thier are complete strangers bustling around the cage !

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
This definitely is a problem. But, could be an opportunity for anyone who loves birds to make extra money birdsitting. Either at the owners home, or your own. When I had a big house, I'd board birds & birdsit. But, now I live in a little mobile home. And my house is full of my own birds, plus a few rescues. Since I no longer drive, I've had to cut down my rescue work, my petsitting, and my teaching / lecturing about birds to school classes, scout groups, etc. But, the opportunities are there!

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
How scary! My mom used to board her canary at her vet's office. They kept him at the reception area. :( Most vets make a poor choice of where I'd want to board my birds. I'm sorry but SICK birds come there, and even if the boarding room is away from that, you are at the mercy of everyone that works there doing their job perfectly to avoid exposure (how many of those kids they hire to clean rooms/cages really remove their footwear and wash their hands EACH time they go from one room to the next?).

Even the local avian specialty store in my area spooks me. Last time I was in there, they had all the boarding birds' cages out in the main sales floor, cages plastered with "NOT FOR SALE" but still. . . Apparently they were painting the regular boarding room. Geez.

Yeah, vets offices are not the best place to board animals especially birds. I know both that I visited had a funky smell going on that I would hate to breath all day so I would imagine my birds wouldn't have appreciated it either.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Update, I may have found a sollution to my problem. I found a person called the Pet nanny and lives less than two miles from me and is willing to visit my birds twice daily in my home for $22.00 a day. She has birds of her own and is licensed and bonded. So I will see how it goes with the Pet Nanny.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
That sounds perfect! So glad you found someone you trust to care for your birds. Have a wonderful trip!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We have a pet sitter watch Kiwi if my parents are unavailable to do so (they have parrots too). She charges $25 per visit, but IMO, she is worth every penny. We do not have her take him out, but she makes sure he's fed, fresh water, clean paper, covered/uncovered, talks to him and writes a brief note each time she visits on how he was doing (happy, upset, loud ect...). One suggestion I have is to invite the pet sitter over before your trip and familiarize her with what all you want her to do at her visits. This will prevent any confusion as to your expectations of her, and you can show her anything you feel necessary (where fresh produce is kept, how the dishes come out, where supplies are kept ect...). So long as she is reputable, I think you will be very pleased with having someone come to them vs. boarding. Best of luck!

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
I'm in Daytona.. If you get in a jam and need a sitter and all your birds are healthy I would be able to help you...

I know it's hard to find a sitter... I had one for yrs up in Ma.. She would come I twice a day and I paid her $40 a day(6 parrots) Everything was fine until I decide to check on her by contacting my alarm company.. They showed she was actually coming every other day.... She apologized but the trust was gone..

I'm basically retired and wife works from home.. So there is always someone home..

Good luck

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
We have a pet sitter watch Kiwi if my parents are unavailable to do so (they have parrots too). She charges $25 per visit, but IMO, she is worth every penny. We do not have her take him out, but she makes sure he's fed, fresh water, clean paper, covered/uncovered, talks to him and writes a brief note each time she visits on how he was doing (happy, upset, loud ect...). One suggestion I have is to invite the pet sitter over before your trip and familiarize her with what all you want her to do at her visits. This will prevent any confusion as to your expectations of her, and you can show her anything you feel necessary (where fresh produce is kept, how the dishes come out, where supplies are kept ect...). So long as she is reputable, I think you will be very pleased with having someone come to them vs. boarding. Best of luck!

How does Kiwi do with that kind of visit? I assume he is usually out and about of his cage. Basil will be boarding with my parents for a week and while my mom loves her grandbirdie, she will not be comfortable taking him out of the cage. My ten year old daughter will only take him out if I am around. He has a great big cage and his routine will be mostly the same (covered and uncovered at same time of day, same food) except that he'll be at their place and without his mommy. Just curious about how your birdie does with the pet sitting arrangement.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots

WOW, $25.00 per visit is a bit steep. I could have gotten my mobile bird groomer to care for my birds in home for $60.00 per day, but that is with her and her helper staying in my home while we would be gone. She is located about 35 miles from me so driving back and forth wouldn't be an option. If I were to pay what you are paying, It would run me $50.00 per day for the two visits. I couldn't do it once a day because Eclectus like to dunk their food in their water. To me, twice a day isn't really enough, but it's about the best he's going to get.

secuono

Mar 8, 2013
Virginia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, Cipher
Green Cheek Conure, Kirby
Who in their right mind would board any noise sensitive pet in a vet clinic? Even with a 'dedicated' room, the noise is ridiculous and random people will be petting/playing and letting them 'opps' escape....no way.
I worked at a vet for a short time and their QT room was a 2.5x3ft CLOSET! They even used it as such and stored random junk in it. The people working there would touch and bother all animals that came in, unless there was a note that the animal would bite.
Boarding at a vet for a cat is locked in a metal box until you rescue it and a dog is in a slightly longer box and let out 2x a day, unless the dog can escape. Then it's in the small metal box.
I don't vaca, too many specialty critters and I trust no one to keep everything in place and not come back to missing, escaped, chewed on, dead, sick, bloated, starved animals somewhere in the big mix we have.

Sorry you're having trouble with a sitter/boarder.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Well I have finally found a pet sitter for my two birds. I went to visit several places from businesses to personal homes. But most of them didn't have a dedicated space to house my birds like a spare room. They either wanted to keep them in a busy hallway, examination room during business hours or on a screened in porch. I was just about to give up hope of finding a local person who could either house my birds while I'm away or make a minimum of two trips to my residence a day to change out their food and water. I wasn't even considering them being allowed out for any kind of play time, I figured that would be asking for too much.

But I lucked upon an ad for a lady called the "Pet Nanny" who only lives less than two miles from my home and has not only been in the pet sitting business for nine years, she is also, licensed, bonded & insured. I was stunded with excitement and anticipation of meeting with her and our birds.

We met with the Pet Nanny yesterday and she is perfect, she even has birds of her own and readily picked up both Mac our Eclectus & Tiki our Senegal without hesitation. She said it would be no problem giving them an hour or so play time in the evening before she puts them to bed. She will make two trips per day to care for them and it will run me $22.00 per day, which I think is more than a fair price.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
$22 a day sound super reasonable to me in Florida. Can pay $18 a day to board 2 birds at a facility -or- for the extra few $$ they stay at home. Better!

I was in a local pet store and there were a couple of birds out on perches. I asked about them and found out they were being boarded. WHAT! On perches in front of the front door! This places charged $3 a day You get what you pay for!

Have a great vacation.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Wow! That's horrible! :( I was looking for places to board too and FINALLY found a boarding facility that is really great. They have multiple vet techs on staff and everyone working with the birds have great bird experience. And they have the cutest room too, plenty big. :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Glad you found someone trustworthy !!!!!!!
You know they will be taken well care of, giving you peace of mind.

Have a good trip

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
We are back from vaca and I must say, the Pet Nanny was great. The birds loved her and she was great with them. She allowed Tiki some out of cage time on her playstand while she fed and watered them twice daily, which was a big plus. Mac has the run of his room so he is out of his cage or has the ability to be out of his cage all day. We just had the Nanny close the door to his room when she got ready to leave and then close him up at night. I will highly recommend her and will be using her again in the future.

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
So glad that it worked out for you! Finding someone caring and trustworthy to watch your pets can be a real struggle. We are going to Hawaii for Christmas and I didn't book our trip until I lined up our regular pet sitter. It really is the most difficult thing about planning a trip, I think. We pay $40 per day here in Michigan. My vet charges $19 per bird per day and they have a dedicated bird room, but the pets are always more comfortable at home.

Most Reactions