I was back to the flea market this morning...

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Playing with the two baby African Greys that the owner had there. They are sooooo cute. One is still for sale, he keep nudging me with a little sdie wink. My wife was with me hahahahahahaha:D.

He's asking $800.00 for her weaned, because he will sell no bird before it's time. I asked him if he gave a health guarantee with his birds. He said yep, a 30 day health guarantee, in order for the buyer to get the bird to the vet for a checkup. If there is an issue, he will give you another bird or your money back.

I thought that was EXCELLENT most breeders will only give at best 72 hours.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Weeeeeellllll, I'm really thinking hard about it. Since she agreed on the African Grey. But now that my wife is on board the only other thing holding me back is my Sennie Tiki. Right now, I spend 90% of my day with her in some form or fashion. I get up in the morning greeting her, opening her cage, giving her, her breakfast setting her at the dining table (she has her own chair). Then from there, she either plays on her cage or she is sitting with me while I'm on the computer or working on my hobbies or just watching TV.

So I'm not sure how she will react to a new birdie and having to share my time with another bird. Tiki LOVES me and I her, but she tollerates my wife. She isn't aggressive towards her or anything, but she will get a little pinchy with her. If anything ever happened to me, Tiki would easily become my wife's bird without much problem. She just needs to work with her a little more. She is always talking to her during the day and if I'm in my work room and Tiki wants attention, she will get her from her cage and bring her in to me.

I know it sounds like a bunch of excuses, but I want to make very sure before I jump in just how deep the pool is hahahahaha. To me this is almost like adopting a child when you have other children in the home. I know I would have to quarantene the newbie for a month before introducing the two birds. I've heard Sennie's like to be a one bird house hold, but I don't hold much stock in that.

Merlinsmom: The two almost weaned Greys are far from being babies, they are almost weaned and ready to go. He even had pellet food at their play stands to eat, which one was eating the other was coooing and flapping it's wings at me saying "TAKE ME HOME, TAKE ME HOME PLEASE, I WON'T EAT MUCH AND I'LL BE VERY VERY GOOD". Not really, I threw that in there. hahahahahaha. But he did have the new born, well I think it's like two weeks old now with him at the Flea Market. It was adorable.

Last edited:
OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Wow, yeah that is really great. So you gonna get one?

Darkling, I'm so close to getting one, it really wouldn't take much to push me over the edge. I'm just not wanting it to interfer with what Tiki and I have going. I'm not one to rehome an animal unless it's more aggressive than I'm willing to handle, or me or another family members health reasons would be the only exception to that. So if I get one, it would be here until I'm long gone.

So if the Grey and Tiki didn't get along, then I would have to figure something out to keep them seperated. Now I don't know if it makes a difference if Both were females or not. Tiki is a female and the Flea Market Grey is a female.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
MTD I am in the same situation sort of. I am getting a baby bird soon but do not want to announce quite yet. I have had Rosie as only bird now a little over 2 years. Will they get along?? Have no idea. That is all I want to say now abut this but later on I will announce with photos. I wish you happy new bird!! Resident bird will adjust with gentle introductions after quarantine.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
Thanks Spirit, if I get one, I will be yelling it from the rafters. There would probably so many pictures that folks would get sick of seeing them hahahahaha.,

Mike

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Looking forward to pictures from both of you mike and spiritbird! Spiritbird, I was just wondering if you were getting another bird when I read your post about you having a new cage to put together lol.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Yes, baby is coming from a very responsible breeder I met here on the forum. More later......................

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
But now that my wife is on board the only other thing holding me back is my Sennie Tiki. Right now, I spend 90% of my day with her in some form or fashion. I get up in the morning greeting her, opening her cage, giving her, her breakfast setting her at the dining table (she has her own chair). Then from there, she either plays on her cage or she is sitting with me while I'm on the computer or working on my hobbies or just watching TV.

I feel the same way about getting my grey. Bean, my amazon, and I spend most of our day together. I am a stay at home mom, and a part time student. Bean does pretty much all of our indoor activities with us. Chico, my ringneck, does at well, but he isn't as attached to me, as Bean is. I worry how I will balance, and hope Bean doesn't become a jealous monster.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Wonder if the new bird could be your wifes bird. Merlin is my bird but he loves my husband. Currently a little less. lol I don't think he would react positively to a new bird. But he might like having company.

Most Reactions

Latest posts