red factor greys????

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Does anyone know what they mean by red factor mix when referring to certain greys? I'm assuming their talking about a mutation on some kind.

I saw an ad that had this description and showed a photo of two baies that had red feathers on their bellies. I thought the only red on a grey was their tail.

Here is a pic of it.

Last edited:

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
Meyers (Kevin) and CAG (Mariah)
Some have red feathers on their bellies or under wings...experts say it's just a random mutation. Could also be from damage to the follicle of the feather. My CAG pulls out the feathers on the top of her neck when stressed and because of this has a few red ones sprinkled in there.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I saw something where they were breeding greys w/alot of red to same. The babies had more red. A mostly red grey would be beautiful, but could it also suffer from the genetic twists of inbreeding.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
They have bred all red greys. I'm not a fan. They look kind of scary.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I was just curious, I ran across this guys ad on both Ebay classifieds and Craigslist. He's selling them unweaned for like $600.00. I think he said they were like 6 weeks old.

pittiepride

Apr 6, 2011
My grey is pretty plucked but her feathers coming in around her belly are red tinged and as well down her legs. Hard to say what she'd look like with all her feathers. She also has random red feathers on her shoulders.

kara

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee
IIRC, a solid red CAG has been successfully bred, and was listed several years ago on the internet for sale by auction. I think the opening bid was set at $150,000.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I like the partial red grays, but not full on red.

eae496f0c0c211e2951b22000ae9142b_7.jpg

My grey is pretty plucked but her feathers coming in around her belly are red tinged and as well down her legs. Hard to say what she'd look like with all her feathers. She also has random red feathers on her shoulders.

kara
I've read that when sometimes when a gray damages it's follicles the feathers may start coming in reddish.

Most Reactions

Latest posts