Ice Cream

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
ok I have seen video for it....

Is ice cream (vanilla) bad for our fids.

If it is, I need to beat my mother, because she gave Cricket some and she, of course LOVED it. :eek:

It was only a small spoonfull but now that my mother knows that she will go crazy for it. I know she won't stop giving it to her.

She did the same thing with potato chips... took me for ever to get her to go and buy saltless ones and make her do no more than one a day.

Can't step away for a second, she is like a grandmother slipping a kid a cookie before dinner, can't take your eyes off her for a second. :rolleyes:

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Well since its a dairy product then yes it is bad for fids since there lactose and tollerent so no dairy products. They cant break it down very well. Its ok tiny bits here and there but dont put it as a normal diet.

OP
darkchi

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
well what about the cheese we give them? :confused:

And I know for a fact that small amounts of dairy are ok per my Vet

Last edited:

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
well what about the cheese we give them? :confused:

Its a dairy product so, no hey cant have it. But like i said before its ok to give them tiny bits like once in a blue moon but dont have it as a normal diet.
and that goes for, milk, eggs, cheese, yogurt, and anything else thats a dairy product.

and yes small amounts are ok, i mean if they get into it or something they're not gunna die otr anything, but if you give them large amounts ofr a daily diet then they may since they cant break it down very well.

OP
darkchi

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Its a dairy product so, no hey cant have it. But like i said before its ok to give them tiny bits like once in a blue moon but dont have it as a normal diet.
and that goes for, milk, eggs, cheese, yogurt, and anything else thats a dairy product.

and yes small amounts are ok, i mean if they get into it or something they're not gunna die otr anything, but if you give them large amounts ofr a daily diet then they may since they cant break it down very well.

No, I know cheese is ok, along with yogurt and eggs. I know milk is ok if it is watered down some. The vet game me the list of foods they can have, in fact sometime when there is something worng with them they will up there cheese intake... Peta was it you who's vet did that for one of your fids?

and I am talking small amounts here LOL not a whole ice cream cone ...would kill my mom if she did that

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yep we had to put Gemini on that, watered milk, grated cheese, and all the rest of the stuff.

Dairy products are not as a rule very good for them, but thats given in large amounts. All mine have small pieces of cheese, except Kito who won't touch it. I'll have to go find the diet we had to give to him,

Ice cream, don't tell Bucc your Mum gives Cricket Ice Cream, he'll be moving in with ya. :D He loves the stuff, but is never happy with only a small amount.

OP
darkchi

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Ice cream, don't tell Bucc your Mum gives Cricket Ice Cream, he'll be moving in with ya. :D He loves the stuff, but is never happy with only a small amount.

So are you saying it shouldnt be a problem to let my mom give her a half spoonful every once in a while (once maybe twice a week)

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
I must havae fid DNA not good on the milk..I use soya and soya icecream...swedish glaze..mmmmmmmmm anyhoo Rox shares mine and luvs rice krispies and soya milk...am I doin wrong?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
*sigh* when are people going to learn that this is THE forum to be at

These youngers of today don't realise a good thing when they see it. :18: :18: I've heard people saying "Dairy Products should never be given to our fids" but then they say they give them small pieces of cheese as a special treat. :confused:

Karen, while dairy products aren't great for them, a little won't do any harm.

Last edited by a moderator:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Hamlet got into my yogurt this morning (light yogurt with strawberries) and tried a lick ... then proceeded to try another lick and shook his head and got yogurt all over my computer monitor ...

In reference to eggs ... UMMM, doesn't an egg support a baby bird ... I would think that an egg would be the most complete nutritional item one could give to a bird ...

just a thought.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
He had to have a high protein diet

When Sisqo had his last molt, I increased the protein in his diet, gave him eggs, cheese, yogurt @ least once a week, and legumes 3 times a week.

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
I give my birds eggs all the time. They are hard boiled or cooked in with other foods. Everything I have heard about them says they are good for them. I give mine the entire egg, shell and all for extra calcium. However, the egg much be thuroughly cooked! Hard boiled it best :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah most birds love eggs, I have to give Bucc half egg in one piece, shell and all and the other half is mashed up in his veggies. He throws a real fit if he doesn't get some in his bowl like all the rest and one that he can hold. :D

Dominique

Apr 10, 2007
Ga, USA
Parrots
Harley~B&G~F~3
Echo Bella~CAG~F~2
Lucy~Vos/SI Ekkie~F~8
Oh Harley loves eggs! hard boiled and split in two. She gets one half a day and is seems to really be helping her beak.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Bucc is such a pig when it comes to eggs that I've had to cut him down, but when he's going through a molt he gets 1 egg a day :eek: with all the other high protein stuff.

Most Reactions

Latest posts