Icky poo question. (sorry)

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Sun Conure (Clifford), two budgies (Odin and Diana), and CAG (Bongo)
Just wondering....I've noticed that since Clifford has been eating pellets and fresh foods that his droppings look like a red-orange color. Kinda like baby food sweet potatoes. So sorry for the description :-/ I know that the coloring in the pellets can change their droppings but I just want to make sure that this is normal.
His diet has DRASTICALLY changed since we brought him home because the pet store owner never gave him anything but seed mix. She said that she had him for almost 7 months before we bought him! Poor baby. He is just warming up now, and I wanted to wait to take him for a vet check for a couple more weeks, to make sure he doesn't completley hate me afterwards.
He had a bit of a runny texture Monday after stuffing himself to the point of bursting with the fruit and veggie mix I gave him, today his droppings look like normal consistancy, but still orange-ish. Is this normal with a change in diet. I try not to give him seeds anymore at all. sunflower seeds for training and treats, and some seed mix once a week or so.
Thanks all, my avian vet is not avail. until after 7pm because she works at the 24 hr emergency vet clinic, and I work most week nights. So I appreciate all of your help!

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
I hope you changed his food gradually~ also fruit can make for wet runny poops, so maybe limit the fruit especially grapes.
Colored pellets can/will change the color of the droppings

OP
Cliffordsmom

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
I tried gradually because I thought he would not want the pellets, and at first he did not touch anything fresh. One day I put some pellets in his cage and he just started eating them up, for a couple days I left the seed in the cage, but he was not eating it so I just took it out. I tried so many things with the fresh veggies and fruit and he would run away from it. Monday I chopped up some grapes, apples, brocolli, and carrots and offered it to him and he nearly snatched the bowl out of my hand and ate it ALL.
Its probably normal because of the diet change, I guess I'm just trying to put my mind at ease with others' thoughts. :)

Scotty T

May 26, 2011
Parrots
Red Factor Sun Conure
I'm not a big fan of the artifical colored food. I don't feel it's good for them. I like the zupreem natural that has no color.

Although, this is normal, the colored food does change the color of ther poopies and it's nothing to worry about. Feeding them color would worry me though.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck's poops change color with his diet also! It sounds healthy.

I'd read the ingredients of the pellets to make sure there's not too much fillers and artificial stuff in there. I'm not a big fan of the dyed stuff either. I use Harrison's.

OP
Cliffordsmom

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
I'm using zupreem now. The vet said it was a decent brand. I'll look into switching though. Thanks all.

Wulfgeist

Feb 1, 2012
Winchester area, VA
About the only thing I can ask is...didn't you ever indulge in a big Shamrock shake this time of the year? That will probably answer your question about the color. :eek:

OP
Cliffordsmom

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
About the only thing I can ask is...didn't you ever indulge in a big Shamrock shake this time of the year? That will probably answer your question about the color. :eek:
LOL! ok, noted :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts